Building a set of twins

Cummins Express said:
see if this helps but the waste gate between the exhaust manifold and the first charger with the waste gates exit line going back into the exhaust after the big charger or just dump it to atmospher.

if you use a blow off valve it will dump you charge pressure but not drop you back pressure (exahust) as well

now i understand.....Thanks !!!!

Cummins Express said:
see if this helps but the waste gate between the exhaust manifold and the first charger with the waste gates exit line going back into the exhaust after the big charger or just dump it to atmospher.

if you use a blow off valve it will dump you charge pressure but not drop you back pressure (exahust) as well

Bingo! It also creates the turbo(s) to overspeed.

i was plannin on having the exahust from the waste gate before the first turbo dump b4 the bigger turbo and have a 2nd waste gate b4 the big turbo that would dump into the outside air or into the downpipe, figured it would help spool the bottem charger better

so is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
what is everyone running for external wastegates ....38mm or 44mm?

and are you running 1 per turbo or would 1 44mm be enough with a 64/14 & S400

so i would be better off running an external wastegate and running no W/G housing on the 64/14 ?

justinp20012500 said:
x2,

Run both, along with a w/g housing on the bigg'n.

so 3 wastegates????

most twin kits i see don't run on on the big charger just the little one.

See sig for the hair driers in my twins.

Both are gated, top has a 38mm, bottom has a 50mm.

I´ve seen some different ways of w-gating twins, but really don´t know whats the pro´s and con´s of the different setups..

So from where do you lead the exhaust and where do you dump it?
How to match the WG to each other, and where to "read" the boost with each WG

I´m not shure if I use the correct terminology or if I you know what I mean at all, so let me know if I have to clear somethings up... :)

I have seen a schematic pic where they lead the bottomcharger WG from the exhaust manifold (before the topcharger) to after the bottom... is that the common way or..?

How does different setups affect backpressure...?

I have read many threads about twins, but never seen a thread that clears this up...

Here is the way most people setup a divorced wastegate using an external, this pic is from early 03' on my first setup!

Jim

untitled.JPG

Someday I'll understand why the pics come out so small ont his site.

Jim

just wondering, say down the road i wanted a set of twins what could i use with my silver bullet ?

scot

This set should be making some boost at Truckfest next week.:evil

Attachments

• turbo5.jpg
    turbo5.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 131
If that pic is scale, those are the smallest twins ever lol. Maybe those are towing twins for the thin air?