Building a set of twins

WUnderwood said:
a little!

any details on them Richard?

just wondering

The high pressure turbo has a 72 mm wheel, and the big bad thumper has a 106mm wheel.:ft: And those are Newgen 2" wastegates.

I want that manifold and wastegates. Will that thing not crack with those big a$$ holes in it?

MADDOG said:
The high pressure turbo has a 72 mm wheel, and the big bad thumper has a 106mm wheel.:ft: And those are Newgen 2" wastegates.

WOW! You need to put something next to that thumper for reference so people can really appreciate how big those are :rockwoot:

Question for all the twin setup experts - Is it possible to have a wastegate that is too big, as in is it possible to loose too much drive pressure at the small turbo?

sniperonhigh said:
Question for all the twin setup experts - Is it possible to have a wastegate that is too big, as in is it possible to loose too much drive pressure at the small turbo?

Yes it's possible. You can typically limit the travel of a wastegate that is too big though. When I ran a NewGen wastegate I had to shim the heaviest spring to limit travel.

so it's better to run the wastegate on the exhaust man. to control drive pressure?? i have seen different ways of doing this

MADDOG said:
This set should be making some boost at Truckfest next week.:evil

I hope that setup works better than the one sitting in my shed.......Maddog you know what I'm talking about!

If ever I think my turbo is big all I have to do is unbox that 106.........it is a Hoss.

Jim

sniperonhigh said:

Yea again! Let just say a curtain single that is one the market has too big of ports in the housing and looses' too much drive and boost when the gate opens, makes for a sloppy dyno graph.

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
Yea again! Let just say a curtain single that is one the market has too big of ports in the housing and looses' too much drive and boost when the gate opens, makes for a sloppy dyno graph.

Jim

There are ways to cure that too though.

so i have been following this

and basicly you big turbo should be about ~200% bigger than the small one in ability to move air

with the thinking that once the small turbo is give or take half way lit it starts to spooling the big turbo

am i close to think on track here?

im lost on the turbos but i need a good set of twin problem is im broke at the moment any donors out there

Hey Scott- Just wondering how your making out with the setup? I have mine pretty well mocked up now and am just waiting on some gas for the tig to do the final welds...can't wait to get this thing up and going....broke the bank but thats okay...it sure looks pretty under the hood! If you are still looking to build your own set Marc said he could get another set of flanges, and the special reducers done up at work. We are going to be doing his up next weekend if all goes well.

Ryan

Scott- Got the twins all plumbed up this weekend and got the new rad and fans in. Things are shapping up and here is a little glimps of what its like...will have to see the rest in person!

RyanB

Attachments

• DSCN0734.JPG
    DSCN0734.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN0750.JPG
    DSCN0750.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 72
  • DSCN0738.JPG
    DSCN0738.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCN0753.JPG