Building a set of twins

Looks really good Ryan, I like were the turbo's are setting and can see you rolling some smoke out of the hood stack soon!

Were did you scam those chrome Valve covers? I need some for my project truck.

Jim

RyanB said:
Scott- Got the twins all plumbed up this weekend and got the new rad and fans in. Things are shapping up and here is a little glimps of what its like...will have to see the rest in person!

RyanB

nice work!!!! ....i guess i'll see you guys on friday night at the pulls

Jim Fulmer said:
Looks really good Ryan, I like were the turbo's are setting and can see you rolling some smoke out of the hood stack soon!

Were did you scam those chrome Valve covers? I need some for my project truck.

Jim

Thanks Jim- The valve covers are actually just the stock ones. I used the orbital sander on them starting with grits 80,120,180,220 and then jumped right to the buffing wheel with red rouge and then the blue. Sounds like alot of work but I got them all done in about 2 hours. They turned out nice and seeing the truck gets minimal use they should stay polished for a while.

Scott- Should be a good show, Marc finally has his tuned up and pulled about 350 feet the other night at a bush pull up north of us here. Here is the link to the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8hqPjoCrgc

RyanB

Ryan which exhast size did you go with your SP66? Did you go stainless?

FYI the 64mm compressor wheel is in the neighborhood of 75lbs/min. and the 74mm S400 is 96lbs/min. That's not an optimal match up as the two are too close in size. A 62mm secondary would be better.

OK, another wastegate question. Suppose you have a twins setup designed for mostly towing, perhaps a 60/14wg on top of a HT3B. The internal wg on the small turbo only vents drive pressure on one side of the exhaust, so if you cut out the divider in the plenum of the exhaust housing does this make the wg more balanced and/or effective?

that is what we did with our hx40 is drill a hole through the divider the same size as the waste gate hole piers used to do this to all his also not sure if he still does

Cummins Express said:
that is what we did with our hx40 is drill a hole through the divider the same size as the waste gate hole piers used to do this to all his also not sure if he still does

Now they just put a spacer between the manifold and turbo......or did! I even went as far as to machine the devider down to do the same thing, vent all 6 cylinders........it worked, the cracked and eroded away the devider.

Jim

what would be wrong with making the "hotpipe" out of regular exhaust pipe??

would this work or would it just crack all to heck?

Lance

oldsmokey97 said:
what would be wrong with making the "hotpipe" out of regular exhaust pipe??

would this work or would it just crack all to heck?

Lance

It will work but you will need to support the bottom turbo.

Jim

my truck is at a buddies exhaust shop right now getting it done. That was why i was wondering.

Lance

Idaho CTD said:
FYI the 64mm compressor wheel is in the neighborhood of 75lbs/min. and the 74mm S400 is 96lbs/min. That's not an optimal match up as the two are too close in size. A 62mm secondary would be better.
What does a 62mm flow per min?

Around 90lbs/min for both. The 3B depends upon the wheel though.