C.B. Radios and Linear Amps

RacinDuallie

Black Sheep Racing
What cha got? And how many watts you putting out? What electrical system upgrades did you have to do?

I have a Galaxy 73V radio with a 1000 Watt Linear. My brother-Treesmasher- did some tweaking to the Galaxy for some extra power and also set it up so I didn't burn up anything inside when I turned on the footwarmer( linear ).

Trust me- This setup is heard.

The coax cable is a key ingredient, Treesmasher located a spool with military grade coax on it and it is quadruple shielded, and the core is huge! No interference with this setup and it puts the power out awesome! I can stomp on most of the big mouthed truckers in the Tri-State area..... :dead-horse-fast2: :evil

Tell us about your set-up.:bigsmile:

Thats sweet...I'd like to get a big radio, just don't know enough about it yet.

Texas Ranger 969 peaked, tweaked and turbo tuned and it will swing 55-65 watts depending the meter.

I've always wanted a linear but you can't have much of one with a magnetic antenna which I like for easy removal in parking decks.

TooMuchBoost said:
Texas Ranger 969 peaked, tweaked and turbo tuned and it will swing 55-65 watts depending the meter.

I've always wanted a linear but you can't have much of one with a magnetic antenna which I like for easy removal in parking decks.

If you purchase a strong enough rated mag mount antenna- you'll be fine.
I have a Wilson, but we changed the puny coax cable out of it, for that special military coax.....:bigsmile: works fine.

Texas Star, Palomar, and DaveMade make some cute but powerful lil footwarmers.....:rockwoot:

I always understood that high power would melt the paint under the magnet.

Is that BS?

TooMuchBoost said:
I always understood that high power would melt the paint under the magnet.

Is that BS?

Yes it is b.s. Ive seen k-40's with 500-1000 watts through them that are magnetic mount. For extra insurance you can go to the under side of the mount and attach a extra ground line to the chassis.

I was the proud owner on opperator of a Gallaxy 77 hml unzipped to swing from 15-65 watts. Depending on the power setting in was on. From there I ran into a 737 modulator into a tnt 400. With everything on I could swing upwards of 700 watts of pure modulation. Dead key from 75 to 475 depending agin on the setting of the radio and if i had had the modulator on or not. All this thru a home made quad band shooting star antenna. I sure do miss it too.....:bang

deltag8r said:
Yes it is b.s. Ive seen k-40's with 500-1000 watts through them that are magnetic mount. For extra insurance you can go to the under side of the mount and attach a extra ground line to the chassis.

I was the proud owner on opperator of a Gallaxy 77 hml unzipped to swing from 15-65 watts. Depending on the power setting in was on. From there I ran into a 737 modulator into a tnt 400. With everything on I could swing upwards of 700 watts of pure modulation. Dead key from 75 to 475 depending agin on the setting of the radio and if i had had the modulator on or not. All this thru a home made quad band shooting star antenna. I sure do miss it too.....:bang

Sweet!!:rockwoot: :rockwoot:

deltag8r said:

Well that ticks me off because I would have bought a 1000 watt linear 6 years ago had I know this.

Will an amp help you RX as well or just TX?

Yes yes yes and yes.... My setup with linear off, I get good local, with box on I can pull in and talk to some crazy foo on the island of Jamaica.......

All AB2 here. FT101E pushing a FL - 2100B that is pushing a drake. Now I ain't one to brag but when I key down the RF has been known to knock small birds out of the air and the lights in town go dim.

LOL mines been known to come over T.V.'s, cordless phones, ect.

Even had some guy come outta his apartment in manhattan at 4:00 a.m. to see wtf was goin on outside... He came over to my truck and tapped on my window and when I opened window I said hold on lemme turn my radio down... He goes- were you just talkin on that thing? I tell him yeah, why? He goes That thing has been making my answering machine in my apartment do weird thangs and waking him up outta sleep for quite awhile, he never could figure it out... LOL LOL

:1tooth: :evil

that's awesome. I know so little about any of that, I'd almost pay someone to "hook" all that up for me..... anyone in the D/FW area wanna help a brotha out...? I wanna knock small birds out of the air also....

go to bonnie and clydes CB shop on Harry Hines in Dallas. They can hook you up with some sick linears and CBs and they will install them as well.

hmmm, i'm headed down there tomorrow, maybe I'll check them out. btw, what road is the harry hines? I've heard of it but I'm actually out of d/fw and not a dallas-ite, so I know stuff by I-35, Tollway, etc, but I'm not familiar which road is the Harry Hines, also where on that road is that shop??

I'd probably figure out a way to upt a single firestik in the bed somewhere.

Power is nice, don't get me wrong, but a properly tuned and set up system will talk just as good as one with 500 watts. I have a Galaxy 99 that's been tuned, with a 7ft skipshooter I recieved NUMEROUS complements on it from the truckers, they all wanted to know what I had. On the same token I have talked more skip at low power settings than I ever did with the linear smoking.

I GOT'S ME A 1000 WATT LINEAR linear linear

AN ECHO BOX box box

AND A ROGER BEEP beep beep

I AM THE COOLEST coolest coolest

:D

sweet, the only ones that matter to me are Babydolls and Cabaret Royale, depending on "rich" I'm feeling that night.... :D

call me a wuss, but size was important. the big honkin radios are just too much for my truck, don't have enough room, so I ordered a 520xl that'll be peaked and tuned. I don't need to broadcast to friggin jamaica or overpower everyone in a 50 mile radius, I just want to be heard within the area around me and hear what's going on in my immediate vicinity. He's claiming to pull 25 watts out of it after he's done with it, hell I've never had a problem pushing only 4.... :)

Remember this when you install the radio and antenna, ground, ground, ground!!! Make certain your power ground is to a good place, make really certain your antenna is attached to metal, not plastic, and run a seperate ground to the frame from the mount if you can.