C.B. Radios and Linear Amps

And to also add to BG's post make sure the radio is mounted securely and that is does not bounce around in its mount.... This will eventually cause the boards inside to loosen and some of those boards need to remain grounded.....

I generally use a Firestik with one of those aluminum mounts from radio shack, surely that will be sufficient as far as grounding, right?

RacinDuallie said:
Yes yes yes and yes.... My setup with linear off, I get good local, with box on I can pull in and talk to some crazy foo on the island of Jamaica.......

I remember a neighbor talking all over the place on ssb with a linear. That was cool IMO.

Billysgoat said:
Power is nice, don't get me wrong, but a properly tuned and set up system will talk just as good as one with 500 watts. I have a Galaxy 99 that's been tuned, with a 7ft skipshooter I recieved NUMEROUS complements on it from the truckers, they all wanted to know what I had. On the same token I have talked more skip at low power settings than I ever did with the linear smoking.

I've been complemented as well but watts are like HP, you can never have enough on tap.:evil

sredish> Yes that will work well if the mount is bolted directly to the bed with no bedliner between it and the mount. An additional ground wire run from the mount to the truck's frame will help though. Great CB performance comes from many variables, two that you can control are ground(s) and SWR. If everything is grounded well your SWR's will almost take care of themselves.

Andy> I agree completely, it's nice to be able to shut off a VW Bug, or overide the order speaker at the local fast food joint, or the TV of the really annoying neighbor :evil With enough ooomph you can even screw with the ghetto cruisers and their cheap sound systems.

Yeah, and you do some real damage to a jerk's radio if he's hung up on hearing himself too. I'm running custom boards in an aluminum housed Cobra 150(dual finals and added 2 chillers to the heat sink) Really enjoying this setup with it's 340 channels. Radio will do 20W on AM and 60W on FM or SSB. Fed with a Palomar 225W remote mounted into a custom 750W box. Running MonkeyMade antennas. I have talked "skip" to Canada and Bahamas in the winter months from various places around Louisiana. This is really cool since mine is a mobile unit. People can't believe what a good setup can do. Any of you 10 meter or 11 meter hands remember the guy from Pineville, La. that got into trouble with the FCC about selling RF amplifiers to 11 meter hands. Well, he was not only selling them, he helped me build mine. As stated before, the largest part of cb'ing is the grounding and proper antennas. All antennas are tunable for low SWR's whereas one should have no higher than 1.5 at the bottom of a band and at the top too. Top loaded antennas are tunable under the cap at the top and whips can be filed completely around and broken off when tuned properly. Center loaded antennas need to have the windings above the roof line. The best setup for most is almost any antenna on the roof where the roof acts as a ground plane. Anyone ever see the big trucks going down the road with a stubby antenna mounted pointed 45degrees or more on the mirrors? This is also wrong. The concept came from flexable antennas mounted in this manner so they would be vertical when going down the road. You want your antenna vertical people no matter how cool you think you look with your swords pointed forward. I'm sorry, no one asked for schooling on 11 meter radios did they? Just trying to help.

I just recently got back in CB's again. In the past I've had a Cobra 25 that was severly modded by my local tech with a larger M1969 final & connex echo board that swings about 40-45 watts. Currently that's the radio in my play toy(backup) truck a 79 Chevy K20

Then I had a now-discontinued Uniden Grant XL again maxed out by my local tech "Signpainter" of 10-8 CB shop in Gallatin, TN. That radio would swing 50 watts in my original 97 2500 CTD with large diameter power, ground, & coax. I sold that radio for $200 with well over $300 in it :doh: around 2 years ago to a buddy under the condition that I got first dibs on it again if he ever sold it.....he still has it. A year or so later...I bought the exact same radio...minus some radio work but with a Connex board, upper & lower channels, & RK56 mic for $56!!:woohoo: :ylsuper: Currently its sitting in my closet waiting to move into my new house with my fiance after our wedding in 3 weeks then I will use that radio along with a Tripp Lite 25A power supply & a IMAX 2000 for my base station!:rockwoot:

Currently in my rig to date is a very new radio to me. Like I said I just got back into radios about a year ago. I was searching for a dual final radio to make some big power....but used cause I wanted to budget it. Never found one but found a no longer produce Cobra 148F with built in freq. counter. Had my local tech work his magic and yet again another 45-50 watt CB.:evil

A week ago I found a Connex 3300 high power on Ebay I wanted BADLY! So I sold my Crimson Trace laser grips off my pistol and bought the connex. With just a super mod alone my tech has it doing 50 watts steadily. I have a set of Motorola 477 finals awaiting installtion for a steady 70 swinging 80-85 watt radio. That will remain my main mobile radio for the rest of my radio days. My 148F will be going on Ebay shortly! ;)

oh heck you guys gotem i see . Ive had a few like my galaxy mostly ,but my new one well had it in my truck round a yr or so now is a {RCI6900F150} its a Ranger
cb radio am/fm/ssb/pa pushing 50wts rms 150 wts pep
its got every option available with exception of programmable frequencies but i dun needem both high an low bands 200 channels more then i need talks skip great on pleasant evenings has a built in amp on bottom of case i like it so far everyday user so i better like it cost lil over 500.00 when io got it last yr after taxes but does the job oh just got a wilson 200 on the back reg ole coax

{racin} sure would like to get 18ft of that heavygrade coax how much}?

02 dodge4x4 5.9 said:
oh heck you guys gotem i see . Ive had a few like my galaxy mostly ,but my new one well had it in my truck round a yr or so now is a {RCI6900F150} its a Ranger
cb radio am/fm/ssb/pa pushing 50wts rms 150 wts pep
its got every option available with exception of programmable frequencies but i dun needem both high an low bands 200 channels more then i need talks skip great on pleasant evenings has a built in amp on bottom of case i like it so far everyday user so i better like it cost lil over 500.00 when io got it last yr after taxes but does the job oh just got a wilson 200 on the back reg ole coax

{racin} sure would like to get 18ft of that heavygrade coax how much}?
It not heavy grade- its military spec..... very tough to come across....:evil

I have a magnum S-9 with a Davemade M-400. Gounding is everything as I have shut my truck off before when I keyed the mic.

Dave does make some nice boxes..... I was gonna get one of his big boxes, but the leaves are blowing off the trees with the set-up I have now, if this box gives up, that's where I will place an order.....

RacinDuallie said:
Dave does make some nice boxes..... I was gonna get one of his big boxes, but the leaves are blowing off the trees with the set-up I have now, if this box gives up, that's where I will place an order.....

Might look at Fatboy also. Last time I checked the prices were cheaper and there performance is on Par with davemade.

LOL, I see your from Jersey. Ever hear tommy 2 watt on the band?

It not heavy grade- its military spec..... very tough to come across....
ok even better got some u want to get rid of

My Cobra 148F is now listed in the classifieds & on Ebay if anyone is interested!:thankyou2:

I got a Cobra but I can't remember what model it is since I took it out of my truck a while back, but it was one of the $100+ ones and it has SSB. What I thought was cool was that I got it for free and it was brand spankin new. My grandad was REALLY BIG into Ham radios, and he ran across deals all of the time. As far as linear amps go, I've got a little ol' Comet 200 watt Amp still under my seat.

02 dodge4x4 5.9 said:
It not heavy grade- its military spec..... very tough to come across....
ok even better got some u want to get rid of

Me?

Well I was at my parents house this weekend and I grabbed my CB. It's a Uniden PC78LTW. What are some good CB shops that will MOD this radio? What are the best MODs for them? The CBshop will peak and tune it for 20 bucks.

In my pick up i run a connex 4300 swinging 80 watts. i used to run a connex 3300 @ 42 watts with a 250 texas star amp but the extra power was never really needed so i sold it off. I also run a 3300hp @ 50 watts in my Triaxle Peterbuilt dump @ work!

Connex 3300 with a Super Mudduck Tune up ( 2 watt dead key swining 35 watts bare foot) Palomar magnum 450 with a 7 foot skip shooter pushing the low 500's. I recently shot out with a local running a boomer 600 and put him back quite we had two watergates both 20 + miles away and they stated all they heard was 5. I am not the biggest radio in duval and clay county Florida but I have been told I'm heard all over town. I run Connex 3300 with a Super Mudduck Tune up (“Courtesy of Hawk Technologies Jacksonville Florida”) at present I dead key 2 watts swinging 35 watts bare foot. I as well have a Palomar magnum 450 with a 7-foot skip shooter pushing the low 500's. I recently shot out with a local running a boomer 600 and put him back quite we had two Watergates both 20 + miles away and they stated all they heard was 5 ( This got me free beer). I am not the biggest radio in Duval and Clay county Florida but I have been told I am heard all over town.

Respect

The one 1002 portable Mr., Ironhead North East Florida Mudd Duck CB Radio Assoc.

Respect

The one 1002 portable Mr, Ironhead North East Florida Mudd Duck CB Radio Assoc.