Cam choices

ashby

I'm p-pumping my 24v. I want to go ahead and a cam in it while it's apart..
I've been reading up on this and I was wondering what brand cam has proven to be the most efficient and reliable? I definitely want a bolt-on cam gear..

For right now I am going with .084 lines, 191dvs, 4gsk, and will be installing new valvetrain parts as needed.

Soo what are the options I am missing?

Hamilton
MaxSpool
F1 Diesel (Helix)
any others?

You can get all of them with a bolt on gear all you have to do is ask. as far as witch would be best for you that is something that you will have to decide. gregs cams are more cut to your needs. hamilton and f1 drop in cam are a good choice to. the best advise would be to do a search and if you get nothing from that call hamilton or maxspool and see what they would recommend.

Now I can't remember. Is it better to have a bolt on gear rather then a weld on?

Another vote for Bill Fletcher, Diesel Pros, one conversation with the man and you'll understand, He'll listen to what you are doing and then select an appropriate cam. And he doesn't try to sell you everything he can, only what you need, common sense type thinking.$.02

Hamilton will also do a custom cam but a lot of people run there drop in cams. Zach will ask you what your doin with the truck and some specs on your engine he will set you up. Great customer service! PDR also does a nice cam i always talked with Mark Wilson and they haave good customer service also.

Just make sure you get a bolt on gear with your cam, it is worth its weight in gold when done. Talk to Greg for a cam he cuts to your specific need, I think he said he has like 20 different lobes he uses as a base and then modifies to your need.

I'm running a maxspool cam and to be honest i really didn't notice that much difference. I'm thinking this is because they ground my 12V cam and didn't have as much to work with?

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at buying one of the hamiltons but they are super cheap and I didn't know if they were the quality of other cams.

I've read a lot about both and they seem to say the same thing.. Each one is good, it just depends on who you ask.

I'm running a maxspool cam and to be honest i really didn't notice that much difference.

x2 I installed one in a buddy's 12 valve and couldn't tell much if any difference.

Whenever I do one in my 12 valve it will be a Hamilton...Zach is the only one of the cam guys that gives decent info on here and seems very knowledgeable (without being a dick or self-worshipping tool)

x2 I installed one in a buddy's 12 valve and couldn't tell much if any difference.

Whenever I do one in my 12 valve it will be a Hamilton...Zach is the only one of the cam guys that gives decent info on here and seems very knowledgeable (without being a dick or self-worshipping tool)

Not to take anything away from the guy or his products...but just because he is the only one giving out "info" doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. There are many cam vendors, and a TON of them are sold without info, and guess what, they work. Remember, he's still trying to sell product...his product...so if it sounds better, it must be better right?

Again, not knocking him or his stuff...but remember to do your own research as well ;)

Chris

My hamilton install will be wrapped up tonight...I will post up my impressions.

I have to be upfront though and tell you I am not easy to "wow"

Not to take anything away from the guy or his products...but just because he is the only one giving out "info" doesn't mean it's 100% accurate. There are many cam vendors, and a TON of them are sold without info, and guess what, they work. Remember, he's still trying to sell product...his product...so if it sounds better, it must be better right?

Again, not knocking him or his stuff...but remember to do your own research as well ;)

Chris

I understand what you're saying perfectly. But anyone who has been on this board for more than a couple months knows that Greg (Comp461) will pimp his product or stroke his ego any chance he gets. This didn't bother me that much until I recommended a good friend of mine to buy his cam...then it didn't perform at all and I looked like an idiot.

I've done some research too...to get one of F1's cams if you mention "p-pump" they start back peddling and won't sell you anything less than a $1200 billet cam.

Hamilton could have sold a cam at the time we were waiting for the maxspool, but they were like 5 or 6 weeks behind on getting them (this was in May of 09), but at least they were honest enough to tell me.

I was just making a recommendation for the OP because that's what he wanted...:Cheer:

How many people offer the cam specs on there quick rate injection pump cam profiles? none and your not going to get specs on a competition camshaft either.

The lobes profiles exist and are available to everyone, knowing what ones to use and the lsa to grind them on and the ICL to install them at is the key. Part of it is engineering part is learned on the dyno and track. If you want the best you have to spend the money and learn yourself or pay the price and buy from someone with experience.

In the street market most will be satisfied with a increase over stock and will never do a direct comparison with another or change the ICl so anyones cam will do. On the track especially in turbo limited classes it is more important to have the best components available for your aplication if you want to win.

Back