Cam choices

If you get it to hot when welding it will become weak and break right after the nut and then you are out a mainshaft. I welded my cam gear on but i know that the next time i will not only have to pay the price of the cam but also the new cam gear which from cummins is 620 bucks. When i welded my cam gear i put three even spaced tacks. Just enough to keep it from walking off.

Any time you concentrate heat in one area on a piece that is heat treated and/or cast, then you will change the properrties of the affected metal. I have seen the welded 5th gear nuts break shafts. I have also seen people that heat the cam gear with a torch break the gears and trash the valvetrain. Any time heat is applied to a heat treated component it needs to be controlled and evenly applied(oven for a given time) Torches and welding beads centralize heat too much for a cast piece. If you have an 8620 cam you would be more safe cam wise but the gear is still cast. Why would you weld anyway when a retainer and bolt is around $50?

Zach

Any time you concentrate heat in one area on a piece that is heat treated and/or cast, then you will change the properrties of the affected metal. I have seen the welded 5th gear nuts break shafts. I have also seen people that heat the cam gear with a torch break the gears and trash the valvetrain. Any time heat is applied to a heat treated component it needs to be controlled and evenly applied(oven for a given time) Torches and welding beads centralize heat too much for a cast piece. If you have an 8620 cam you would be more safe cam wise but the gear is still cast. Why would you weld anyway when a retainer and bolt is around $50?

Zach

Becuase my scheid cam was not drilled for the retainer bolt and the cam was in the motor so i was not pulling it out to drill and tap it. When this seasons over a new Haisley cam will be going in.

Tim

Becuase my scheid cam was not drilled for the retainer bolt and the cam was in the motor so i was not pulling it out to drill and tap it. When this seasons over a new Haisley cam will be going in.

Tim

Good reason. In spite of there being"right" ways of doing things I appreciate somebody making things work with what they have at that moment, and a little ingenuity. In our shop we call that RMS.

Zach

Zach

i told by several p-pump 24v guys just tack the gear on, i weld for a living and ive busted several things that are cast even taking pre heat measures and post heat measures to try and reduce damage, i say bolt it, a lot easier, a freeze plug on front cover makes plenty of room for it to fit

MaxSpool cam in my 03 CR puller im vry pleased with how it did this weekend along with other vavle train part did.

Anybody here Actually ever did a cam install with vertually No other mod changes from what you already had, and went " HOLY CHIT! That's an awesome mod"??? Spool up , Power, or both ?

With No bias toward / against the maker??

Also looking for views on Bigger cams that require vavle pockets..

David I ran a big cam back in 06 with a 538/535 lift and went down to a stocker, the main thing I felt it lost was some top end, it was an older design compared to todays versions though.

I'd say Fletcher has done more personal R&D on cams, granted he did it at the for his own truck.

Jim

David I ran a big cam back in 06 with a 538/535 lift and went down to a stocker, the main thing I felt it lost was some top end, it was an older design compared to todays versions though.

I'd say Fletcher has done more personal R&D on cams, granted he did it at the for his own truck.

Jim

Why'd you go back though?

Spool was the same though?? hmmm
Well extra top end is always good too though.

I've spoke with Fletcher before...He really does seems to know his chit about cams!! Greg Houge did too though.....

Of course it ALL sounds like gibbrish to me though....WAY over my head...

It's pretty incredible what Fletcher has done in a "short" amount of time, compared to someone like Greg who has been doing this stuff his whole life. He's a pretty intelligent individual and really just wants to make these engines work as best he can.

Back