Cam choices

How many people offer the cam specs on there quick rate injection pump cam profiles? none and your not going to get specs on a competition camshaft either.

This is obviously a dig at me...our customers are well aware of the cam profiles available through us and we use the profile they specify. Most diesel shops claim their own quick rate cam profile, but use a factory 903 Bosch cam profile or copy the Bosch fast injection/fast return profile. The 903 profile is our standard for pickup stuff, we also offer a fast injection ramp/fast return ramp profile, and we offer another profile with a much faster injection ramp/slower return ramp (no, your buddies at Harts don't have this profile-although 3 different people associated with them have tried getting our profile/cam grinder info from me so they could copy us). We don't give out exact data to make the profile (customers don't want to know this, but our competitors sure do), but we do tell our customers the rate of injection for each profile and each amount of fuel, which is entirely more than most shops give.

Pump cam profiles are common knowledge to the public for the most part and are in no way shape or form related to the original post. Apologies to the OP for the derail.

Thanks for the replies.
I was looking at buying one of the hamiltons but they are super cheap and I didn't know if they were the quality of other cams.

I've read a lot about both and they seem to say the same thing.. Each one is good, it just depends on who you ask.

I have a quickspool cam from Piers for sell, it's for a 12v but probably work great on ppump 24v, if you are interested or anyone let me know.

^^^^^^^^^^Will a 12valve cam even work on a 24v?

CTDYoungGun- No prob, doesn't bother me.. Do you sell Hamilton cams?

If you do PM me some pricing info..

I understand what you're saying perfectly. But anyone who has been on this board for more than a couple months knows that Greg (Comp461) will pimp his product or stroke his ego any chance he gets. This didn't bother me that much until I recommended a good friend of mine to buy his cam...then it didn't perform at all and I looked like an idiot.

I've done some research too...to get one of F1's cams if you mention "p-pump" they start back peddling and won't sell you anything less than a $1200 billet cam.

Hamilton could have sold a cam at the time we were waiting for the maxspool, but they were like 5 or 6 weeks behind on getting them (this was in May of 09), but at least they were honest enough to tell me.

I was just making a recommendation for the OP because that's what he wanted...:Cheer:

All good points...other than the fact that F1 doesn't recommend the cast cam in a p-pump...I run 3 of them, one with a 650cc 12mm pump...I was personally told that if I tried not to unload the cam too hard at the end of a high power pass, I should never have trouble...it's not driving the pump that breaks it, its the shock of taking that big load off all at once.

It's all about the user I guess...buy what you feel comfortable with

Chris

ALWAYS get a bolt on gear...my truck has been down since May due to not going with the bolt on!!!

ALWAYS get a bolt on gear...my truck has been down since May due to not going with the bolt on!!!

Same here, may 26th I broke a valve due to changed cam timing due to the gear being most the way off.

A 12v cam should work just fine in a 24v IIRC, the biggest difference is rocker ratio.

got my truck back with the hamilton and I am very pleased with it.

truck is super super quiet (kind of wierd) and the engine runs very smooth.
EGTS are about about 50-75 degrees cooler when cruising
There is a very noticeable gain in low end power

Most of all my turbo spools up lightning fast!

I have not really got into it hard so I dont know what it has done for peak power, egt and boost.

I have a Hamilton in one of my '99 trucks and absolutely love what its done for it on the street. Can't comment on the difference it made on the track as I switched the cam, injectors, and turbo between pulls.

Another vote for Bill Fletcher, Diesel Pros, one conversation with the man and you'll understand, He'll listen to what you are doing and then select an appropriate cam. And he doesn't try to sell you everything he can, only what you need, common sense type thinking.$.02
Yeah, with a little humor on the side too. Wish I had the $$ to really step it up but he's been a huge help with what I can afford.

looking to find one from one of these vendors for my 4bt. looking to help spool up with 2 less

No one has commented on welding vs. the bolton option. If you don't care that the cam will not be one piece with the gear what are the REAL downsides of welding vs. bolting on the gear? Certainly cheaper for those with a welder to just make the bond permanent! Just curious and am too lazy to search:p

one downside of welding, if you want to do another cam swap you need to buy a new cam gear

Cam

got my truck back with the hamilton and I am very pleased with it.

truck is super super quiet (kind of wierd) and the engine runs very smooth.
EGTS are about about 50-75 degrees cooler when cruising
There is a very noticeable gain in low end power

Most of all my turbo spools up lightning fast!

I have not really got into it hard so I dont know what it has done for peak power, egt and boost.

What he said LOVE My Hamilton Cam

No one has commented on welding vs. the bolton option. If you don't care that the cam will not be one piece with the gear what are the REAL downsides of welding vs. bolting on the gear? Certainly cheaper for those with a welder to just make the bond permanent! Just curious and am too lazy to search:p

The same reason you don't weld the 5th gear nut.......

Back