Can a vp44 have too high of pressure

aggies12

I had my vp44 replaced and I was having issues like the truck would have a hiccup chug and crow hop like crazy then the damn thing would die. All pressures were great! So we change the vp44 with another and came to the decision it was the ecm... now with the new ecm we are having the same damn thing. I called the place where I bought the vp 44 and they said my pressures were too high and that's why I'm having the issues I am. It seems possible for they are saying the pressure being too high is causing the pump to jump off timing and once I let it set and the pressure drops it will run fine is this possible anyone ever hear of this?

Not a vp guy but I have read pressure over 20 psi will ruin them quick.

haven't heard of that, I like between 15 and 20 psi feeding mine..
Have had no issues at this point

I know seals or the diaphragm can get damaged with higher pressure and if present when cranking they don't like to start. Have you checked the APPS sensor?

Been running my pressure at 20-22 psi for over 5 years. No problems.

I had my vp44 replaced and I was having issues like the truck would have a hiccup chug and crow hop like crazy then the damn thing would die. All pressures were great! So we change the vp44 with another and came to the decision it was the ecm... now with the new ecm we are having the same damn thing. I called the place where I bought the vp 44 and they said my pressures were too high and that's why I'm having the issues I am. It seems possible for they are saying the pressure being too high is causing the pump to jump off timing and once I let it set and the pressure drops it will run fine is this possible anyone ever hear of this?

Let's trouble shoot correctly.... and provide some data. What pressure is is seeing? And for the other posts stating it is a problem, that can only be with a brand new pump built back in 98. There is no rubber diaphragm to rupture in the reman's. There are so many things that can cause your symptoms... and you already changed two variables (and possibly have a crap ECM when you had a good one).

So back up to the beginning and run down what you have done to get to this point.

For what it matters mine sees no less than 21. From the time I start, to the time I shut down.

Last edited:
From the start I was having a loss in pedal and then one night it completely died and showing codes 0216 mechanic buddy of mine said it's got to be the vp changed it out drove great 3 days later it started the hiccup it would slowly lose throttle and either crow hop or die ... my buddy looked and looked we came to the conclusion that it was the vp so we got another and it had the same exact thing now it wouldn't do it all the time I could drive it anywhere and shut it down for 10 15 mins start it up and it would act all crazy and I'd wait for a few mins then it would start up and drive normal so then we changed to lift pump I have a fass so I borrowed one just to ensure that it wasn't just my lift pump then we determined it was the ecm so I sent the ecm off to be rebuilt and thst horror story is dumb clueless I called the vp distributor and they gave me a line saying my 18 to 20 pressure at idle and my 13 at wot was too much pressure and the reason was it was making the vp advance in time and that's why is would start fine after I waited for a minute to let the pressure release I bought another ecm in the mean time it drove fine but all of a sudden the same thing so different lift pump 2 different vps and a different ecm and im back to the same **** 3 grand later

Gonna need some commas, periods and other punctuation to iron that out and separate a thought or 4.

From the start, I was having a loss in the pedal. Then one night it straight up died and showing codes 0216. My mechanic buddy, said it was the vp. We changed it up and 3 days later had the same problem. It would hiccup, slowly lose throttle and either crow hop or die. So we looked and looked, came to the the next conclusion. Changed the vp again with another. Sure enough, it was the same exact thing. Now it wouldn't do this on a constant basis. I could drive, then shut the truck off for 10 to 15 mins. Then, on the restart, it would spit and sputter. I'd wait for a few mins, start it and drive off. I have a fass, so we changed that out, just to eliminate it. Next determination, was the ecm. I sent it off, to have it rebuilt. I had issues with the rebuild, so I bought another ecm. Truck ran fine, then the same exact thing happened. So I called the distributor for the vp, told them my situation. They said, my 18 to 20 pressure at idle and my 13 at w.o.t. was too high. The high pressure is making the vp advance time. That's why I can wait a bit and the pressure would go down and it will run just fine. I really don't want to burn up the vp, so I figured I'd ask for another opinion. ...... sorry guys, it was late when I sent the other msg.

Main issue is there doesn't seem to be any "troubleshooting" going on. The original issue, especially with the p0216 code definitely sounds like an injector pump. After that, it sounds like a bunch of parts were changed without diag. 18-20 psi should not be a problem. That is just a cop out by the people that sold it.

Take it to someone reputable that can diagnose your issue.

Might want to check your crossover tubes and copper washers to make sure they are sealing. Could be your apps sensor going south. Is your vp44 tapped? Is the harness plugged in all the way to vp44? As stated, too many variables and no troubleshooting. Did you properly make sure the ecm harness was plugged in and the screw tight on the harness? Where did you get the ecm? If you only spent $3000 grand, then something isn't new. 2 pumps is $3000. Which pump gear key did you use?

So I called the distributor for the vp, told them my situation. They said, my 18 to 20 pressure at idle and my 13 at w.o.t. was too high. The high pressure is making the vp advance time. That's why I can wait a bit and the pressure would go down and it will run just fine. I really don't want to burn up the vp, so I figured I'd ask for another opinion. ...... sorry guys, it was late when I sent the other msg.

Not sure who your "distributor" is but they are full of it. Bet there are thousands of guys running between 14-20 psi at WOT.

Regardless the issue is not in the VP, or the ECM... well it could be now. Unless you spent the cash to get a reman from the dealer I have zero faith in what you have now.

Crossover tubes and washers are good. The vp44 is not tapped, and harness has good connection. Ecm is plugged in correctly and screw is tight. Ecm is a cummins rebuild, it's brand new. The first vp44, we thought was defective, do we got another on Warranty. The gear key was original, never changed it. Our last idea is coming down to a fried wire in the harness, or possibly the apps. The original ecm and the original vp44, had code 0216. When we replaced the vp44 the 2nd time, there was still a 0216code. This led us to believe the ecm had a malfunction. Now with the new ecm we have p230 p0575 p 0370...

Not sure who your "distributor" is but they are full of it. Bet there are thousands of guys running between 14-20 psi at WOT.

Regardless the issue is not in the VP, or the ECM... well it could be now. Unless you spent the cash to get a reman from the dealer I have zero faith in what you have now.

Unless your a builder you know squat yourself. Built plenty of these pumps and I'll argue to the end while there maybe a handful of people running those types of pressures much any pressure over 14.5 will push fuel past the front pump seal and does some crazy things to a pump. Don't believe me watch one on a test stand sometime.

Those types of pressures are good for strip truck running stupid amounts of fuel out an injector causing to drain the pump, but on the street its useless.

Crossover tubes and washers are good. The vp44 is not tapped, and harness has good connection. Ecm is plugged in correctly and screw is tight. Ecm is a cummins rebuild, it's brand new. The first vp44, we thought was defective, do we got another on Warranty. The gear key was original, never changed it. Our last idea is coming down to a fried wire in the harness, or possibly the apps. The original ecm and the original vp44, had code 0216. When we replaced the vp44 the 2nd time, there was still a 0216code. This led us to believe the ecm had a malfunction. Now with the new ecm we have p230 p0575 p 0370...

P0230 Is transfer pump out of range

P0370
Fuel Injection Pump Speed/Position Sensor Signal Lost

P0575 - Cruise control switch voltage low

Two things with the last code either you have a pump or the timing key is install backwards. Coupled with a 216 code I would start here first. One other prblem could be that the Key itself has been smashed to the rear or not fully splined on the gear correctly. It happens.

Last edited:
The early diaphragm in the head has never been rubber. Different style, but never rubber. On performance pumps I use to set the pressure regulator a little high as well. Never seen an issue with any of them running pressure in the 20psi range. The front seal is the first thing that would fail. Smashed key always has a timing code. The calibration and start of delivery blocking would have caused an immediate issue after the install.

Last edited:
I don't know squat about the insides of these pump, but I've ran 22+ on a stock pump and a monster VP, both for several years on the street, never had an issue.