Can someone answer this?

Extended Power

Why is it that even with a set of twins, do you STILL have to spray the engine with nitrous?

I thought that with a proper set of twin turbos, there should be no reason for nitrous at all.

I see a couple of trucks out there with twins, but they still have to run nitrous to clean up the smoke...:what:

If twins are the best...why do you still have to "bandaid" the problem of not having enough air???*bdh*

NO nitrous for me...my twins clear up all smoke as soon as they light and my EGT's will not go over 1100 degrees.
I'm gonna add more fuel soon...I have plenty of air for it.

A modified S300 from Keating Machine with a standard S475 as the primary.

Maybe noone has put a properly matched/big set of twins on a powerstroke.

????? here

How many P-strokes are out there with twins? It seems that most of the "bugs" still need to be worked out of them due to low numbers. There are tons of Cummins out there with Twins that clean up all the fuel without nitrous.

Jeremy doesn't spray his..well..not that I know of..

And I wish that "THAT" kit was still available....

Jeremy does not spray, because in his class...your not allowed to use it.

I'm curious how the twin turbo trucks would run without all the nitrous help...

I see that Black Widow added a shwack of "Do it youself" stuff, and Garrett turbos to their site.

Doug has me thinking now with those damn 6.4L exhaust manifolds....

Alot of it has to do with the injection sequence. I know that if you try to put a certian 66mm turbo on a 12V or 24V 5.9 vs a 5.9CR the CR will spool it(thus enabling you to have a more street manored truck) faster opposed to a 12V or 24V. In the end(and given enough RPM's) you HP and TQ may end up the same.

I think if you had the same HP trucks(HEUI vs Commonrail.. even more specific a Cummins) with close to the same trubo setup(for the most part) you would find that a 5.9CR would make more usage of the turbo system rather than the HEUI based platform. I have a few Bosch books that explain the injection squence of CR based platforms. From my intial readings you can play much more with injection parameters opposed to any other injection system(other than the Unit Injection System).

i wish 6.0's could spool chargers like cr cummins. If so everyone would be running 66mm turbos and 190cc injectors on everything from heavy hauling work trucks to play trucks.

On top of fancy cr injection i think the another factor is the manifold to turbo setup. The 6.0 is a bunch of kinked and small exhaust vs. a short good seized manifold run directly into the turbine.

Well I was going to comment on that as well. I'm not sure if the general engine concept of inline vs "V" plays as big as roll as injection system on said engines. That being said look at the duramaxes they have CR like turbo setups and dont seem to have any spooling issues*. The only common thread is that they both have CR injection systems.

*I have no experiance whatso ever with D-maxes i'm just saying from what I've read on places such as this.

I have a 66mm turbo on a stock injectored 6.0L right now. Highway fuel mileage has been great. The problem has been in turbine housing sizes. A silver bullet works great with a 12cm housing. I said that a year ago. If you take a stock turbo and use the vgt to spool it up down low the .9 A/R housing becomes rediculously small. So what does that mean. You will need a ****ing tiny housing to get a standard turbo to spool. .83 or .90 or 1.whatever isn't going to work.

A 6.0L needs something in the neighborhood of .63 - .73 to get something moving. Unless you modify the camshaft, you will need a super tight primary housing with a wastegate. And then on top of that. The stock intake manifold has a plenum volume smaller than a Hyundai Tiburon. You could put 6 turbos on this engine. Unless you open the intake and the heads. Its not going to do jack **** but create pressure with no volume.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I was going to comment on that as well. I'm not sure if the general engine concept of inline vs "V" plays as big as roll as injection system on said engines. That being said look at the duramaxes they have CR like turbo setups and dont seem to have any spooling issues*. The only common thread is that they both have CR injection systems.

*I have no experiance whatso ever with D-maxes i'm just saying from what I've read on places such as this.

The Inline vs V plays a big role. Everytime a cummins fires a cylinder almost 1 liter of air is pumped into exhaust whereas 1/8 of a 6.0L is pumping. It makes a difference. And look how close the turbo is to the heat energy of the exhaust. The turbine gets way more heat into it.

I have a 66mm turbo on a stock injectored 6.0L right now. Highway fuel mileage has been great. The problem has been in turbine housing sizes. A silver bullet works great with a 12cm housing. I said that a year ago. If you take a stock turbo and use the vgt to spool it up down low the .9 A/R housing becomes rediculously small. So what does that mean. You will need a ****ing tiny housing to get a standard turbo to spool. .83 or .90 or 1.whatever isn't going to work.

Doug,

I have tried a 66mm with a .70 A/R turbine housing. Quick spool-up, quick EGT's.
I have also tried the same 66mm with a ceramic coated .80 open housing...slower spool-up, but wicked mid range, and top end.
I have a 1.0 divided to try, but I think it's just going to raise the rpm at which the turbo lites so high, I won't be able to drive it on the street at all. (Let alone pull my trailer.)

Brian sent a 76mm for me to try with the same housings...I'm prolly going to stick the 76mm on with the .70 divided housing today, and give it a shot.

I gotta say...he has really gone out of his way to try and get my truck to do everything I need it to do. When Brian and I first spoke, I never had a trailer, and said I never pull anything.......This 66mm would be killer on the street, and strip...just don't plan on pulling a trailer with it. (Kinda like so many adds we see now stating that "Towing is NOT recommended with this turbo.")

What size was the turbine wheel with that 66mm turbo you used?

I'm not sure Brian would like that information made "Public".

You can't order this turbo from Turbonetics, there is no part number for it, it's a configuration that he wanted tested, so instead of selling my 61mm turbo, I sent it away to be reconfigured to his specs.

I'm not sure Brian would like that information made "Public".

Im sure there is alot of things he wouldn't like made public. Come the **** on. Its a turbo. Its a wheel. The silver bullet I used was a 66/74/12. Did you create this thread to help people move forward or just to ask a question to figure out nothing?

If you want to keep secrets then don't post on a public forum asking for information. Feel free to call me a dick but this just seems funny to me.

What you are asking has nothing to do with my first post here...
I am asking about twins, and why you still have to spray nitrous if they are sized correctly.

Back