Cast Iron Flywheel Explodes

Cast.
How many 2.6 trucks are still running cast flywheels?
Too many.

That's why I asked... Would love a billet flywheel, Sfi clutch can and blanket. But the damn things cost as much as the rest of my parts :(

That's why I asked... Would love a billet flywheel, Sfi clutch can and blanket. But the damn things cost as much as the rest of my parts :(

Cost of a SFI flywheel & clutch= 3000.00
Cost of a SFI bell housing= 2000.00
Cost of keeping your legs and feet= PRICELESS:poke:

Flywheels

Been there and done the same thing! It is amazing how we can spend money on everything but what we should. When mine exploded it cut the header of and went up just like in those picture. I still have problems with my foot. I will never run one again without both a can and clutch that is sfi. Jeff

Is a sfi bell housing available for the nv4500? The only ones I have seen are for a reverser.

Thats a buddy of mine. He had a supposed to be bullet proof bellhousing. He's not one to just piece a truck together with **** parts. So before you call somebody an dumdass know you facts. fyi he leave the line at over 8k

If you call Browell or Pro Bell they should have one or make one.

I heard the pro bell one is like 3500$

The one major differance between gas and diesel that doesnt work with the cast flywheel is the rpms. No i wouldnt take the chance myself but 4k to 8k is a whole lotta more rpms. I dont think a 4k and under truck nessacerrily requires sfi. Hell look at all the old school pullers that ran mitchell twin disc that was a stock flywheel cut down for the second disc. Trucks have come along way also so i still think its a good idea.

Last edited:
Cost of a SFI flywheel & clutch= 3000.00
Cost of a SFI bell housing= 2000.00
Cost of keeping your legs and feet= PRICELESS:poke:

I knew someone would say that... I have a sfi rated clutch already but can't seem to find a clutch can/blow-proof bellhousing for my nv5600. I'm tempted to build my own and run it till 2.6 rules state it has to have a sfi rating.

As far as I know, no one makes a blanket for a nv5600, everyone just makes something else fit...

I knew someone would say that... I have a sfi rated clutch already but can't seem to find a clutch can/blow-proof bellhousing for my nv5600. I'm tempted to build my own and run it till 2.6 rules state it has to have a sfi rating.

As far as I know, no one makes a blanket for a nv5600, everyone just makes something else fit...

Haisley has one listed for the 5600

You have a SFI rated clutch, is your flywheel SFI rated as well? I am fairly sure Browell makes one if not call Scheid or Hasley, I'm sure they could direct you to something.

I heard the pro bell one is like 3500$

The one major differance between gas and diesel that doesnt work with the cast flywheel is the rpms. No i wouldnt take the chance myself but 4k to 8k is a whole lotta more rpms. I dont think a 4k and under truck nessacerrily requires sfi. Hell look at all the old school pullers that ran mitchell twin disc that was a stock flywheel cut down for the second disc. Trucks have come along way also so i still think its a good idea.

I think they are more like 2400.00 with a new motor plate.

a bellhousing blanket from summit is under 100. its cheap insurance. I did have a dd come apart last year with my gf driving. thankfully no one was hurt. now i have have both sfi clutch and a blanket..

a bellhousing blanket from summit is under 100. its cheap insurance. I did have a dd come apart last year with my gf driving. thankfully no one was hurt. now i have have both sfi clutch and a blanket..

All the SFI blankets I've seen for NV4500/5600's are $400-$500.

I've heard about the "universal blankets" from Summit, but everybody states they will not fit? Did one actually fit for you?

I also ran a Belhousing blanket for my 6-speed and got it thru Haisleys.

As far as the blow proof can goes.....there is nothing available for a NV4500 that will accept a stock diameter clutch (or at least as of last fall).

Last fall we where looking for options on clutches/cans for our new tube frame and we easily could have went with the modified NV4500 and bolted it to a reverser but after looking at the money difference to jump up to an actual blow proof can which was quite a bit more...I am sure our feet our going to thank us the first time we launch at 5K+

Ryan

it fits ok. two of the three strap fit but its 48" x 14" so it covers the top and sides but not the bottom. the 2 bolt strap go to the bellhousing cover so it doesnt go all the way over the motor plate but its way way better than nothing compaired to the cast aluminium bell housing at least it will save your feet if anything tried to go up and the crowd if it tried to go sideways. im happier its more than required out here witch is nothing in the workstock class

it fits ok. two of the three strap fit but its 48" x 14" so it covers the top and sides but not the bottom. the 2 bolt strap go to the bellhousing cover so it doesnt go all the way over the motor plate but its way way better than nothing compaired to the cast aluminium bell housing at least it will save your feet if anything tried to go up and the crowd if it tried to go sideways. im happier its more than required out here witch is nothing in the workstock class

Honestly, that blanket is going to do nothing if something happens. My 6-speed blanket actually over wraped each end and covered from the casting of the trany right up to the actual block...covering the engine/trany adapter which actually encases the flywheel!!!! by not covering the aluminum adapter if something where to happen the flywheel would still come out. As you can see by the pictures that Haisleys posted....the clutch it self is still in the belhousing but the flywheel made its way out past the can and went thru STEEL....not cast aluminum like we have for our belhousings and trany/engine adapters. Non of the gassers have any sort of adapter....there tranys where meant to bolt to the block from day one...where our motors need the adapter.

If you seriously think that the blanket is going to work for you then thats fine...but for the sake of the track officials and inocent people in the stands you should seriously think about at least getting one meant for your application.

Ryan

Back