Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

How about this, run a 10.70 index as a trial class during the nhrda world finals in october. Yes, all racers are invite only etc., but I imagine that if given a chance on"the big stage" that class could show some serious support, and racers would either slow down or speed up to fill it. then do the volume vote (like burnout contest) to see what the crowd thinks of it. it's only a month away, so there won't be alot of prep time for a dedicated high tens truck, but it could be done. Build the class, they will come

How about this, run a 10.70 index as a trial class during the nhrda world finals in october. Yes, all racers are invite only etc., but I imagine that if given a chance on"the big stage" that class could show some serious support, and racers would either slow down or speed up to fill it. then do the volume vote (like burnout contest) to see what the crowd thinks of it. it's only a month away, so there won't be alot of prep time for a dedicated high tens truck, but it could be done. Build the class, they will come

not gonna happen, nobody's going to change anything or add anything till after world finals

The 10.90 class would be great for a guy like Will Terry (junker drag truck), his truck is right in the middle of these times. I think it will be a good thing for the guys still wanting I push into the tens but don't want to go full race to be competitive cause of the cost.

Again... This is not rocket science!

Index at the safety breaks.

Your truck runs slower that 12.50...
Run Sportsman ET

Your truck runs 12.50 to 11.40 and you have no roll bar...
Run 11.50

Your truck runs 11.40 to 9.90 and you only have a roll bar...
Run 10.00

Your truck runs 9.90 to 8.40 with a nhra chassis cert and license...
Run 8.50

All heads up except for ET and EVERYONE CAN RACE!

You already know how I feel :)

It would keep people from dominating classes and would allow for growth you might start the class on the slow end of the scale and next thing you know your.running the dial and then you keep.getting faster? Step up to the next class and push till your in the front.

I like indexs myself...

Last edited:
not gonna happen, nobody's going to change anything or add anything till after world finals

I agree and I doubt many will want to run an additional class when the qualified for something else... Course I would run it but that's just me

What about having a street truck class? Heads up, daily driver, register, no fuel cell, batteries stock location, intercooler stock location.

Again other then the fuel cell in the stock location, Torrey's truck would qualify for this. Not hard to swap out a fuel cell...

It will be a 9 second class in no time at all, and be very expensive, as the heavier the truck the more it tears up parts and the more expensive it is to run. There is NO way to run a heads up class that is not expensive. Not only that but then you will end up limiting it to a small number of vehicles, that meet the rules.

The NHRDA is way better off to go to a 10.50/70/90 whatever the number index, and the only rules are safety rules to run that class and that it must be diesel. Other then that 2000lbs rails, 3000lbs rat rods, 4000lbs dakota's, 5000lbs junker drag trucks, 6000lbs 1/2 ton conversions, 7000lbs dd, or even 15,000lbs semi's can all run in the same class. More participants the better.

My vote would be to add the 10.50 index as it will keep the gap the closest between that and super street. Although I have a feeling there will be as many cars/rails/trucks in that class that wouldn't qualify for super street as there are trucks that are using it as a stepping stone.

Last edited:
I do know that the people who keep saying how its retrded that SM and SD are split by.10 seconds make me want to pull my hair out!!!!

I don't know why it is so difficult for them to understand the difference between backet racing and index racing. I't a disadvantage to be a 12.0 truck in brackets. Long wait on the converter racing much slower trucks and a good chance of red lighting trying to get a jump after the slower truck that looks to be an 1/8 of a mile away. Only advantage is if the slower truck red lights which they seldom do.

I personally would love a 10.90 index on a .4 protree. White Out ran a 11.04 on a 10.90 dial in the gamblers race in Billings on level 3. Tranny shifted great, egt's were only 1250 through the traps. My truck has all the correct safety equipment to run that index. I could easily shed another 200 lbs from the truck to make it a bit quicker. My only problem with it is on the top end if you are are on the brakes hard not to break out. It can be scary enough at 113-15 let alone at 125+

Many of the current super diesel trucks don't have the bars or safety equipment so I don't think it's a good idea, as that is where the majority of the trucks would come from IMO.

My only problem with it is on the top end if you are are on the brakes hard not to break out. It can be scary enough at 113-15 let alone at 125+

Many of the current super diesel trucks don't have the bars or safety equipment so I don't think it's a good idea, as that is where the majority of the trucks would come from IMO.

I love this aspect to the first part quoted! I think the level of drivers that would run this class will know this to be the case. That only makes them work harder to actually hit the number with setup/tune...

I really don't think a 10.50 to 10.70 class will really effect the SD class much. I do see it pulling some people from SS and PS as I think a lot of the SS guys will double class down like some double class up to PS. I really think you would see a lot of trucks built for this class. I would venture to bet 75% or more of the SD class trucks would struggle to run into the 10's.

I know in Texas at least of 4 trucks that would easily move to a 10.5 index and to be honest we just aren't competitive in the PS class we run in do to our setup's. I know Max and I have both discussed giving up chasing the ET's that PS currently produce. Not because we want to but because we just can't afford the expense. Last 2 years I have been to Ennis in PS class I never even made a WOT pass. I had 2 WOT hits and ended the weekend with 2 broke transmissions. All that being said if it turns out something doesn't change next year I will likely strip down the PS truck and build something for 11.90 to run out side of my other SD class truck. If you ask me it is consistently the best class all year IMO. If you win in that class no one can say you didn't earn it....

Again other then the fuel cell in the stock location, Torrey's truck would qualify for this. Not hard to swap out a fuel cell...

It will be a 9 second class in no time at all, and be very expensive, as the heavier the truck the more it tears up parts and the more expensive it is to run. There is NO way to run a heads up class that is not expensive. Not only that but then you will end up limiting it to a small number of vehicles, that meet the rules.

The NHRDA is way better off to go to a 10.50/70/90 whatever the number index, and the only rules are safety rules to run that class and that it must be diesel. Other then that 2000lbs rails, 3000lbs rat rods, 4000lbs dakota's, 5000lbs junker drag trucks, 6000lbs 1/2 ton conversions, 7000lbs dd, or even 15,000lbs semi's can all run in the same class. More participants the better.

My vote would be to add the 10.50 index as it will keep the gap the closest between that and super street. Although I have a feeling there will be as many cars/rails/trucks in that class that wouldn't qualify for super street as there are trucks that are using it as a stepping stone.

I'm with you on the 10.50/70/90 index as well. I was just think maybe a street class, keep parts in OEM locations maybe up the weight class to keep Quad cabs/Crew cabs more competitive. I know the guys that run low 9s can make changes to run the class but why would they? I like going faster not slowing down so much. I have ran the 11.90 index but I usually knock myself out running to fast, I was doing it to get more exposure since I have only been racing a few years.

What is with diesel guys being obsessed with weight limits?!?

Clinging to the whole "street" truck thing I think. I agree that adding weight to trucks that make a fair amount of power is just a step in the direction of breaking more stuff- not good. I think we've passed the point where making horsepower is much of an issue. More weight is just harder on parts.

In my opinion, it doesn't seem like it requires more upfront money to make 1200hp than 800hp. The maintenance on the other hand, not so much.

The location of this and that component makes about zero difference either. You could tell people they had to mount the turbo(s) on the rear bumper and somebody is going to make it work and go faster than everybody else. That's the way heads up racing works.

Weight limits are silly. We think backwards as fuk....I hate the fact this turd weighs 7100 when dodge and duramax crew cabs weigh less than my reg cab... Diet is coming before the power comes up because I know that's what's going to go rounds.

Runninlean were you at truckfest this year?

I too am all for anything running the 10.5 class. My buddy has an elcummino that would run that class, he too has built a prostreet rig that would be too expensive to keep going. Another friend is working on a prostreet truck that needs a class as a test bed.

10.5 class.needs to happen imho

Last edited:
Yeah I was there Embarrassing myself not being able to get the chargers lit. Nothing as impressive as a 14.7 @ 125mph. Thanks for reminding me LOL.

Yeah I was there Embarrassing myself not being able to get the chargers lit. Nothing as impressive as a 14.7 @ 125mph. Thanks for reminding me LOL.

Just trying to put screen names with trucks...
At least you came out to race.
That track is why I run a 62mm vgt as the high pressure... That's my home track... its not a fan of big turbos lol

Yeah not fun traveling a 1000 miles for a race to fire it up to unload it from the trailer and find you now have a injector sticking. That being said I try like hell on a shoestring budget but I really love the sport. Now my wife and the bank account I don't think they share my feelings... Haha

Yeah not fun traveling a 1000 miles for a race to fire it up to unload it from the trailer and find you now have a injector sticking. That being said I try like hell on a shoestring budget but I really love the sport. Now my wife and the bank account I don't think they share my feelings... Haha

Trust me I know...lol

This is the same old problem from back in the DHRA days, nothing has changed. Not enough trucks to fill a field, if you split up the classes. The trucks today have not all changed and the drivers of said trucks have not changed any either over the past 5 years. I wish that were not the case but some how the Diesel Truck Drag Racing field is not growing and that is what needs to be solved. I know most of what is being discussed here is the same things that were discussed back then and moving the classes around isn't going to solve it by itself. DHRA had a 10.50 class and most everyone wanted it quicker, back then it was called Pro Street. In 5 + years you still only have a small handful of people running much quicker and for the most part they are the same people from back then, they have worked hard and gotten them quicker. The field is in the lower or slower classes, so do you split those up, just to make a new class? The fast guys will do what it takes to be fast and others will not. I do not think there is an easy solution to the problem without doing something different than what was done before. Setting up indexes per the safety rules might just do the trick if you can get enough trucks to fill the classes but it isn't going to change the quicker classes any.

Wife's, the biggest supporters of 10.5 index LOL

Lmao!

I agree that the fast guys will.continue to.go.fast.

I think these days 10s trucks are pretty common. I don't think getting 20-30 10.5 trucks is unrealistic in the next year or so.

This is the same old problem from back in the DHRA days, nothing has changed. Not enough trucks to fill a field, if you split up the classes. The trucks today have not all changed and the drivers of said trucks have not changed any either over the past 5 years.

I will just agree to disagree with you on this one. How many rail cars did we have 5 years ago? How many PS trucks? We have seen growth not what we would like but lets be realistic also. Compare the economic climate of today vs 5 years ago there was way more private money being spent back then vs today.