Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

What about having a street truck class? Heads up, daily driver, register, no fuel cell, batteries stock location, intercooler stock location.

Those guys can run Sportsman.....besides those rules would apply to some vehicles in SS. Wouldn't change anything as far as ET gap.

I think adding a 10.5 class is the way to go, not getting rid of SS. However, lack of racers may keep this from happening for a few years unless the rules are kept relaxed allowing more people to double class and fill said classes. Classes would get too small then, racing would be over quicker. As more people begin to fill in, tighten up the rules, thatll allow people to build vehicles dedicated to 1 class without punishing those with vehicles that qualify for multiple classes.

Eh not really true. I am guessing your referring to the 10second class as SS and 9 to PS. The problem with that is the rules set's that are in place for SS. My 2wd back half truck won't meet the SS rules.

Greg I love the Index as well as the Bracket class's. I run several bracket and Index class races.

Keyword I used is basically... With the extra class tho you'd give people more options/range to build a truck for...in result would give the sport more trucks racing I think. Won't happen over night obviously...

Sent from Holderdown Performance iPhone Command Center

Those guys can run Sportsman.....besides those rules would apply to some vehicles in SS. Wouldn't change anything as far as ET gap.

I think adding a 10.5 class is the way to go, not getting rid of SS. However, lack of racers may keep this from happening for a few years unless the rules are kept relaxed allowing more people to double class and fill said classes. Classes would get too small then, racing would be over quicker. As more people begin to fill in, tighten up the rules, thatll allow people to build vehicles dedicated to 1 class without punishing those with vehicles that qualify for multiple classes.

Sportman has and index of 12.0 and Super Diesel is 11.9, I was referring to a Street drivin truck not just race only truck. Like a True street class but heads up. I don't know any deep 9 second trucks what are street drivin daily, maybe 10s but not low 9s.

Why are there 2 classes that are 0.10 sec apart?

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

There aren't 2 classes that are .10sec apart. NHRDA has the Super Diesel index of 11.90, NADM and the outlaw races run a 12.0 index class. Completely separate races/orgs.
I could run 11.5 in Sportsman ET if I wanted to.

I would stay running ss and 10.5 if they would let us until truck.count is up

Why are there 2 classes that are 0.10 sec apart?

There aren't 2 classes that are .10sec apart. NHRDA has the Super Diesel index of 11.90, NADM and the outlaw races run a 12.0 index class. Completely separate races/orgs.

Here's the rules. So how do you run 11.5 with out being DQ?

NHRDA Sportsman ET S/M

» Bracket racing class w/ a Sportsman Tree, Sportsman Ladder by Reaction Time,
Auto Start is OFF
» Minimum Dial Time of 12.00 or slower
» Helmet required if faster than 13.99 (Note: Some tracks require helmets for ALL racers)
» Must meet NHRA and/or IHRA tech and safety requirements for MPH and ET

Last edited:

10-4 carry on

Oops, I'm wrong on that point then. I've never really read the ET rules too closely for NHRDA. All the other bracket ET races I've been in have never listed a max ET. I race in the 11.90 index with NHRDA tpyically. But in other races I've run 11.5 in a bracket.

Here's the rules. So how do you run 11.5 with out being DQ?

NHRDA Sportsman ET S/M

» Bracket racing class w/ a Sportsman Tree, Sportsman Ladder by Reaction Time,
Auto Start is OFF
» Minimum Dial Time of 12.00 or slower
» Helmet required if faster than 13.99 (Note: Some tracks require helmets for ALL racers)
» Must meet NHRA and/or IHRA tech and safety requirements for MPH and ET

Last edited:
I fully understand the difference between index and bracket. The point I was trying to make is that there is not enough of an incentive to jump from Super Diesel to Super Street with the gab being so huge. I also think running two classes with ET being so close... IE SD and Sportsman, is retarded.

If the Super Diesel index was In the mid to low 11's It would give people the incentive to make the jump out of sportsman into Super Diesel, and from Super Diesel to Super street.

This will help the sport to grow and give a better range of times for competitors to build a truck for.

Are you calling me a retard? And I thought I was the assholee.......LOL

I see we have the annual rule change thread going. It's a good thing to discuss but bottom line is to grow the sport we need more racers in the lower classes that get the bug and want to move up. The 12.0 and slower Sportman class gets a ton of entries and is fine the way it is. Having a 12.0 dial and waiting for a 17 second truck isn't the best thing on a converter but that's what you do if you want to double class. The 11.90 class has grown leaps and bounds from it's first season. You have to have a truck that will run the number and you have to be good on the .4 protree to really have a chance to win that class. A true driver's race with very low probability of breaking. Selfishly I'd like to see it a little quicker, but I understand if you go quicker than 11.50 you many other safety factors to consider.

Dock boy has long advocated index racing and I think if we had more trucks in the quicker classes it would be a good thing. 10.9 index, 9.9 index and 8.9 index. No electronics allowed. (i.e. delay boxes mainly). Since we don't and the fact that requirements change drastically at 10.0, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Super Street is the class that rules out west. Way more trucks and interest in that class v/s prostreet. I think people more closely identify with that class as it has a more street truck feel. Trucks can go rounds, are driven to the starting line and back to the pits and can hot lap much more readily than most of the prostreet trucks, especially the really quick ones.

I know for a fact that guys have built and are building Superstreet trucks to come after Rob and Max'd Out. That is good for the sport, creates a ton of interest and definitely grows the sport.

My street truck was originally built to be a Superstreet truck. It will run mid to high 10's but at a cost, usually a new tranny every few passes. I got very tired of that and we lobbied for and got the 11.90 class. I run it on it's lowest hp setting and if launched correctly will run pretty close to 11.9 on that tune. I have 4 more higher hp setting if I need them, but turning it up has cost me a number of races do to breaking out.

I have driven it from Oregon to Brainerd MN to race, and also I drove it from Oregon to Edmonton AB and raced. I am not worried about breaking it and the 11.90 index is a ton of fun, and is a hell of a lot more difficult then SuperStreet or Prostreet for that matter since almost no one breaks and you have to go a lot of rounds to win. Plus if you look at who cuts most of the best lights on the .4 tree it's guys in the Super Diesel class.

I don't buy the argument guys don't enter Superstreet class because if Rob shows up they don't have a chance to win. Then those same guys won't enter Super Diesel because it's too slow. That is a bunch of hog wash. If they really wanted to race they'd race. Those are just lame excuses. Rob sometimes double and triple classes just so there is someone for the one or two real entries in that classes will have someone to race. He wins his share with a slower truck because he is a great racer. Having more classes to fit everyone's needs isn't the answer and is not going to work.

The gap from 11.9 to SS isn't that bad. Moving it to anything quicker than 11.5, (which I personally would love) means to be competitive you have to have a roll bar. There are a lot of guys who don't want to put a roll bar in their street truck. I say leave it where it is, and those guys who think they have a high 10, low 11 sec truck, tune it back and come run 11.90 and once you start dominating that class then move on up if you want.$.02

I see we have the annual rule change thread going. It's a good thing to discuss but bottom line is to grow the sport we need more racers in the lower classes that get the bug and want to move up.

Most of them have the bug, but when you look and see mid 9's coming out of the next class up, most cant afford that, and will at that point seek other forms of entertainment with their trucks.

Ive thought about many times how to make a real honest "true street" heads up class. I know people will say Robs truck is, can can be a street driven truck. It would have to be on real street tire (no DOT cheaters, no M&H, etc) require the trucks to not be stripped down, i.e. still have a reese hitch, full interior, etc. Require a cruise to prove its streetable, license, registation, insurance, etc. I think alot of people would sign up for a class like that. I know its not NHRDA, but at Scheids, a cruise would require a truck that can be driven without smoking, unless you want a reward from Johnny Law.

Would adding an additional class really be that big of a deal?? Leave alone whats already there, but add in a high 10-low 11 index for that "middle of the road" step between 11.90 and Super Street.

I see we have the annual rule change thread going. It's a good thing to discuss but bottom line is to grow the sport we need more racers in the lower classes that get the bug and want to move up. The 12.0 and slower Sportman class gets a ton of entries and is fine the way it is. Having a 12.0 dial and waiting for a 17 second truck isn't the best thing on a converter but that's what you do if you want to double class. The 11.90 class has grown leaps and bounds from it's first season. You have to have a truck that will run the number and you have to be good on the .4 protree to really have a chance to win that class. A true driver's race with very low probability of breaking. Selfishly I'd like to see it a little quicker, but I understand if you go quicker than 11.50 you many other safety factors to consider.

Dock boy has long advocated index racing and I think if we had more trucks in the quicker classes it would be a good thing. 10.9 index, 9.9 index and 8.9 index. No electronics allowed. (i.e. delay boxes mainly). Since we don't and the fact that requirements change drastically at 10.0, I don't see that happening anytime soon.

Super Street is the class that rules out west. Way more trucks and interest in that class v/s prostreet. I think people more closely identify with that class as it has a more street truck feel. Trucks can go rounds, are driven to the starting line and back to the pits and can hot lap much more readily than most of the prostreet trucks, especially the really quick ones.

I know for a fact that guys have built and are building Superstreet trucks to come after Rob and Max'd Out. That is good for the sport, creates a ton of interest and definitely grows the sport.

My street truck was originally built to be a Superstreet truck. It will run mid to high 10's but at a cost, usually a new tranny every few passes. I got very tired of that and we lobbied for and got the 11.90 class. I run it on it's lowest hp setting and if launched correctly will run pretty close to 11.9 on that tune. I have 4 more higher hp setting if I need them, but turning it up has cost me a number of races do to breaking out.

I have driven it from Oregon to Brainerd MN to race, and also I drove it from Oregon to Edmonton AB and raced. I am not worried about breaking it and the 11.90 index is a ton of fun, and is a hell of a lot more difficult then SuperStreet or Prostreet for that matter since almost no one breaks and you have to go a lot of rounds to win. Plus if you look at who cuts most of the best lights on the .4 tree it's guys in the Super Diesel class.

I don't buy the argument guys don't enter Superstreet class because if Rob shows up they don't have a chance to win. Then those same guys won't enter Super Diesel because it's too slow. That is a bunch of hog wash. If they really wanted to race they'd race. Those are just lame excuses. Rob sometimes double and triple classes just so there is someone for the one or two real entries in that classes will have someone to race. He wins his share with a slower truck because he is a great racer. Having more classes to fit everyone's needs isn't the answer and is not going to work.

The gap from 11.9 to SS isn't that bad. Moving it to anything quicker than 11.5, (which I personally would love) means to be competitive you have to have a roll bar. There are a lot of guys who don't want to put a roll bar in their street truck. I say leave it where it is, and those guys who think they have a high 10, low 11 sec truck, tune it back and come run 11.90 and once you start dominating that class then move on up if you want.$.02

I.guess you don't talk to anyone in the staging lanes lol. You have good points i'm just not a huge fan of turning the.power down.

... It would have to be on real street tire (no DOT cheaters, no M&H, etc) require the trucks to not be stripped down, i.e. still have a reese hitch, full interior, etc. Require a cruise to prove its streetable, license, registation, insurance, etc...

Put street tires on Torrey's truck and that is what it is currently. Other then the removed rear seat to accommodate the cage. I promise you we can still run 9's even on real street tires.

Next season we won't fit that description as we are too heavy to continue to compete at the top end of super street, but as of right now, we could throw a set of proxies or nitto's on it and cut 1.6 60's vs 1.5 60's and still run 9's.

You can't have a heads up class that is affordable, almost by definition it is not. Add an index at 10.5 or move SD index closer, or...

Good points one and all.

As for the true street class, we could pass that also with some work and I don't feel it would slow us down much, same as Torrey, Devin and some others. They tried that a couple years ago with battery and fuel cell. Pat at Big Twin runs 10.1 in his dodge that still sees hunting, towing, around town duty.

I really don't know what the answer is. More race entries is the goal. Now, how to get there, is the question. Maybe a poll or hand out at each event to the spectators/sponsors on what they would like to see. Free raffle ticket if the poll is filled out or something. I'd donate something to the raffle. May give us feedback from others than just the racers/keyboard jockies.

Again... This is not rocket science!

Index at the safety breaks.

Your truck runs slower that 12.50...
Run Sportsman ET

Your truck runs 12.50 to 11.40 and you have no roll bar...
Run 11.50

Your truck runs 11.40 to 9.90 and you only have a roll bar...
Run 10.00

Your truck runs 9.90 to 8.40 with a nhra chassis cert and license...
Run 8.50

All heads up except for ET and EVERYONE CAN RACE!

2012 NHRDA number of participants by class that actually raced or at least showed up if the race was canceled.

Top Diesel------6
Pro Stock------9
Pro Street------34
Super Street----51
Super Diesel ----97
Sportman-------280

There are a few that double classed a a couple that triple classed, but that is the sum total of competitors we are talking about. We need more in the Sportman and Super Diesel class to grow the sport, and making a another class between Super Street and Super Diesel will only water down those existing classes. Would draw a few from both not increase the total number of racers.

You mean to tell me that Div 4 accounted for 25% of the total SM class competitors in the whole year with 71? Mind you that is only one race and a rain out...

I also think your numbers tell another story. Look at how many SD trucks ran then the major drop from SD to SS and PS. You even said it your self that the toll it takes to run SS is hard so you dialed it back to keep from breaking and cut cost.

I do know that the people who keep saying how its retrded that SM and SD are split by.10 seconds make me want to pull my hair out!!!!

2012 NHRDA number of participants by class that actually raced or at least showed up if the race was canceled.

Top Diesel------6
Pro Stock------9
Pro Street------34
Super Street----51
Super Diesel ----97
Sportman-------280

There are a few that double classed a a couple that triple classed, but that is the sum total of competitors we are talking about. We need more in the Sportman and Super Diesel class to grow the sport, and making a another class between Super Street and Super Diesel will only water down those existing classes. Would draw a few from both not increase the total number of racers.

Or make super diesel more competitive cause the fast guys jumped to the 10.90 or 10.50 class leaving us slow guys to our own. Hahah