Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

That sounds like the best idea, move SD from 11.90 to 10.90/10.50 whatever is decided upon.

As there is basically no gap from sportsman at 12.00 to SD at 11.90, and then a huge step after.

I am all for this. :rockwoot:

I hate to seem like Im targeting him, but finding 15 other truck owners to come run against Rob is never gonna happen.

Maybe Im in left feild with this idea, but require a class jump after dominating....or add weight. All the local 8.5/10.5/true street races that do very well all have in the rules the weight can be added to a car that dominates the feild.

I find it entertaining that this thread is full of "its not gonna work" and Dennis Perrys thread is full of "yes I will be there" and even one "im gonna build a truck for the class".

That's what kinda killed me about starting this thread. Everyone in the ts thread was all for it.

What's the classes look like for ts? Do they have superstreet and prostreet?

When its all said and done. Rob is getting the crappy end of the stick. He did nothing more than build a truck to the class rules, the rest of us are butt hurt cause guys like Rob,Brian,Torrey,Rich(RPS) have done what the rest of us are having issues doing. They were able to build 9sec trucks to the class rules. Its a shame there is such a gap, but is it there fault the rest of us can't keep up. I'm on nobodies side here cause I'm in the same boat. I have a 10.3 truck, if they index it to 10.5 I'll strip my truck more. Cause not in this life time will I dial my truck back when I know it has more in it. Hense why I also hate index racing. I would rather lose knowing I left it all on the track than win playing it safe. But that's just me. Everyone is allowed to have there own opinion. My 25cents tonight LOL

Rules

In no way should anything happen to the 11.90/12.00 classes! They are the best classes with some very good drivers. Everyone wants a class to fit there personal truck and thats not going to help the sport. I have raced a long time and have seen this many times over with class racing and it will kill it's self. I have no personal gain from super street class but just trying see things get better. Just like the guy who keeps saying that guys want a street truck even when it's a race truck class. Ok, now at the same time you say you want to truck pull your truck also! Isn't that the same thing??? Your not going to have a 10 second truck that can do everthing. It's just not going to happen. Good luck with the rules.

I'm def not trying to whine or make a class that fits my truck. Im just trying to make suggestions from basically an outside looking in aproach, to help the NHRDA bring more members and racers in.

My whole reasoning is affordability for both superstreet and super diesel, let the money be spent in prostreet.

The average dude needs to be able to build a truck and still afford to go race it.

dzchey21, I'm not trying to rain on your efforts. I actually applaude you for that. I have heard the same thing as mentioned earlier. You get a ton of people tell you "I'm there" and "I'll build a truck for this class" and so on. Then they don't show, just a part of trying to get something going. Randy will be all ears and will seriously consider any type of class change that is in NHRDA's best interest......for next year. Can't blame him for that since he is in the "business" I'm nearing the end of my Pro Street efforts as I too refuse to spend the money to keep up in my chosen class. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Pro Street truck to go back to a 12.0 class. They are a lot more fun to compete in and there is no way on Gods green earth that I will detune the Pro Street truck to run 12.0.... I will start all over with a street legal truck that I can drive back and forth to work and the beat the shizz out of it on the weekends. I do not have a dog in this fight either way and I was trying to show some of the problems of creating another class. But, at the same time you can't fault Rob Coddins or any other top competitor for taking the very same rules as everyone else has to use and putting in the money, blood, sweat and tears to be at the top of his game. Thats what we all strive to do. And I'm not picking on anyone, I've tried to help the sport any way that I could. On a side note, I really wouldn't mind having a regular cab 6.4 Ford 4x4. Do you have a spare one??

Last edited:
Rules

Good post Gary. There is no easy answer to this. I just see S/S and Pro Street being to close in et. We don't need more classes we just need more people to race.

dzchey21, I'm not trying to rain on your efforts. I actually applaude you for that. I have heard the same thing as mentioned earlier. You get a ton of people tell you "I'm there" and "I'll build a truck for this class" and so on. Then they don't show, just a part of trying to get something going. Randy will be all ears and will seriously consider any type of class change that is in NHRDA's best interest......for next year. Can't blame him for that since he is in the "business" I'm nearing the end of my Pro Street efforts as I too refuse to spend the money to keep up in my chosen class. I'm seriously considering getting rid of my Pro Street truck to go back to a 12.0 class. They are a lot more fun to compete in and there is no way on Gods green earth that I will detune the Pro Street truck to run 12.0.... I will start all over with a street legal truck that I can drive back and forth to work and the beat the shizz out of it on the weekends. I do not have a dog in this fight either way and I was trying to show some of the problems of creating another class. But, at the same time you can't fault Rob Coddins or any other top competitor for taking the very same rules as everyone else has to use and putting in the money, blood, sweat and tears to be at the top of his game. Thats what we all strive to do. And I'm not picking on anyone, I've tried to help the sport any way that I could. On a side note, I really wouldn't mind having a regular cab 6.4 Ford 4x4. Do you have a spare one??

There is definatly no winning with everyone in anything thats a proven fact LOL. Like i said this all just came along after talking to multiple people in the staging lanes in montana, obviously with the same thoughts and feelings that i had. I agree that there probably isnt room for another class, and i also agree that there is allot of work in superstreet trucks to just say hey we want you to slow down, maybe the sport just isnt ready yet....

I love the superdiesel class, i ran the very first event for NHRDA in Phoenix last year and took second in a truck that only ran 12.6s, so i understand that the underdog can still win, or come close to winning based on good driving and some luck.

Just a little background on me, i built my crewcab to run the 11.9 class, but the simple fact that a 8100 lb truck (8600lb street weight) just cant take that kind of power and be reliable enough to carry my lunch box and two carseats to work everyday..... SOOOO when i picked up my reg cab it was wrecked, i basically dropped my 11.9 set up into something lighter, been fighting it since, but making progress every time out. I also built the reg cab with no intentions of going any faster than 10s, and had no desire to spray nitrous. I want to keep progressing and go faster but at the same time dont want to loose the fun in it. I would have what could be said to be a "tweener" truck. Too fast for superdiesel, but too slow to run superstreet and be competitive. I understand that a 10 sec truck can win events, with some luck obviously, but thats now... where will superstreet be in 2 years? 8s? Dunno that to be honest. I'm only sharing because i feel like i fall in a category that allot of "average joes" would be. wanting to go fast but also realizing that keeping up with the all stars is just not feasable and unrealistic.

I think the index class is a good idea, always will... but where it fits in i guess i dont know. I can tell you that now i do plan on being at TS this year running the 10.5 class because i think it fits well.

Thanks for at least hearing me out guys, i truely do not want to take anything for all of you going fast, i apreciate the efforts you all have put in and looking forward to seeing where it goes. Without the progression we have nothing. Im just trying to "advocate" for the "little" guy

And no, no spare reg cabs laying around LOL, stumbled across this deal on craigslist for 5k as the cab was up on my crew cab for a simple head gasket job that turned into the motor needing 2 pistons. Decided it was time to get my daily driver back to daily driver trim, tow pic ect.... Best move i have ever made

Last edited:
10.9 should be a reasonable compromise.
Figure 11.0 trucks would still have a chance to win. While it can be expensive to build a reliable 10 sec truck, its still within reason for many people, and they'd still feel they have a chance to win, so they'd keep coming to the races. Im not knowledgeable on the NHRA safety rules for <11 sec, but they should be easier to deal with than the <10 sec rules, correct? That would also aid the weekend racers who run on a budget.
If the 9 sec guys want to detune to double class, why not? They'd survive longer at that power level anyway, plus you'd have some extra attractions in the slower class for the spectators.

Looks like TS is going to add the class for 2013, so you could always use that as a test bed to see if its viable and what kind of competition/turnout you may expect to get.

Last edited:
while we're at it....

How about bumping super diesel from 11.90 to 11.50 that way guys can go a little quicker and that would help separate super diesel and sportsmans and people could still have fast street trucks without the rollbars and such.

You'd probably end up loosing more racers if the super diesel class was taken away, all the NHRDA needs to do is add another index class between SS and SD. I guess the weight really couldn't regulate the class so it would have to just be ET. Putting rules in diesel drag racing to spec turbos or anything else on the motors won't work IMO with so much different t between the engine manufactures. Adding a class will grow the sport, especially a class that there is already tons of trucks that could run in it, at the end of the day the pro street class really doesn't get a big truck count so let the quick SS guys double class and everyone should be happy.

Edit *In response to RHP997's post*

That is missing the whole point....

4 tenths of a change still does nothing for the huge gap between SS and SD. I think the SD class is spot on and should be left alone. Heck If I don't run in PS next year that will likely be the class I will run in a new truck.

Last edited:
How much was the entry fee for thus said 50k??

I will have to agree with wrongway. $500 for a chance at $50k is a very good gamble. Here is a BRACKET race setup for this weekend.

6.00-13.99, $5k 1st, $2k 2nd, $1k 3rd.

$295 for club members, $320 for non.

2 days of racing.

I drove past it the other day, FULL field of campers, trailers, rigs, etc in this little track.

In no way should anything happen to the 11.90/12.00 classes! They are the best classes with some very good drivers. Everyone wants a class to fit there personal truck and thats not going to help the sport. I have raced a long time and have seen this many times over with class racing and it will kill it's self. I have no personal gain from super street class but just trying see things get better. Just like the guy who keeps saying that guys want a street truck even when it's a race truck class. Ok, now at the same time you say you want to truck pull your truck also! Isn't that the same thing??? Your not going to have a 10 second truck that can do everthing. It's just not going to happen. Good luck with the rules.

But would it hurt attendance if the 12.0 bracket class was allowed 11.90 max and move the 11.90 class to faster times?? Theres only a tenth difference, and the only thing that would change is that both trucks wont always leave at the same time.

Im not voting for change to "fit my truck" as it will prolly never go 10's, but there is a huge gap that could be holding some back. Any changes should be left up to current racers, to keep the ones out who say they are coming and never do from influencing anything.

I will have to agree with wrongway. $500 for a chance at $50k is a very good gamble. Here is a BRACKET race setup for this weekend.

6.00-13.99, $5k 1st, $2k 2nd, $1k 3rd.

$295 for club members, $320 for non.

2 days of racing.

I drove past it the other day, FULL field of campers, trailers, rigs, etc in this little track.

A bracket race, while alot say they only want to race heads up. You should see how many cars come to Ohio Valley in Louisville for the door slammer nats. which is bracket. $500 for a chance at 50K at a bracket race is alot better than a heads up, single elimination race. Most bracket races have buy backs and are not single elimination.

But would it hurt attendance if the 12.0 bracket class was allowed 11.90 max and move the 11.90 class to faster times?? Theres only a tenth difference, and the only thing that would change is that both trucks wont always leave at the same time.

Im not voting for change to "fit my truck" as it will prolly never go 10's, but there is a huge gap that could be holding some back. Any changes should be left up to current racers, to keep the ones out who say they are coming and never do from influencing anything.

Changing the bracket class to fit 11.90 is no where near the point of this. If you can run 11.90 you can run 12.0 and most do at other races. The point of the 12.0 index in the ET class is because of the trucks that ran in that range having to sit on stall for the majority of 13.5 to 16.0 ET trucks. Your convertor takes a fricking beating giving up 1.5 to 5 seconds on the tree.

The new index would not really be for the 11.90 class trucks IMO. Its for the guy trying to work up to the next level and building a budget race truck. This would be the class that would transition most people into the SS and PS class. Now that the sport is getting coverage and more sponsors are getting more involved the independent competitor is falling to the way side.

I keep hearing how the sport needs to grow but from what I have seen at NHRDA events this year the truck counts are getting better and IMO the 11.90 class is one of the best to watch and has had pretty good truck counts by its self.

I agree with runninlean, it is a great transition class, and will be way easier on a budget, even if it is a purpose built race car, the index class had no weight limit and can be very competitive. But adding that extra $15-20 k to get another 4-6 hundred hp due to a class minimum weight and keep it going rounds reliably is out of many peoples budget, unless they are sponsored.

If you are worried about the 10.50-10.90 index class getting too competitive with ss, relax the minimum weight a few hundred pounds and watch the trucks go faster more reliably