Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

If you were going to make any weight restrictions at all, I would say 6k is I nice round number. My old truck ran in the mid 10's consistently on the stock bottom end. I do think that some type of index is necisarry. At least it gives the guy with a slower truck a fighting chance. The truck in the opposite lane might be much faster, but he has really got to be on his game so he doesn't break out. Call it what you want. No matter what I enjoy racing! I don't care if it's a foot race, or an all out drag race for thousands of dollars:Cheer:

I'm not going to enter into the discusion on should SS be an index class. I've won it multiple times and always had fun racing in the class.

I personally would like to see a 10.90 index class. I race in one with the NHRA, and have a blast. Just some food for thought... It would take about 200 more hp for a super diesel truck to race in a 10.90 class. Around 880hp, without stripping weight. We know that this is doable and afordable (well, kind of ). At 10.50 that same Super Diesel truck would need to make pretty close to 1000hp. A 10.90 class can be run with a daily driver, which most Super Diesel trucks are, a 10.50 class would weed out most of the daily drivers.

Paul

I tried this in Bradenton, won't work. I had about 40 trucks in the spectator parking that could have drove right in and raced. It ain't gonna happen. You are *bdh*. Just my $.02

Seems like there are a ton of dead horses getting beat in this sport which is still young and needs to grow.

Why won't it work? If the weight doesn't work then limit the ET run off a 10.50 index... there is a group of alcohol funny cars in western Canada that race off a 6.99 index iirc ... its the same situation as this where there was tons of guys that want to race but can't go out and compete in NHRA alcohol classes.

Seems like there are a ton of dead horses getting beat in this sport which is still young and needs to grow.

Why won't it work? If the weight doesn't work then limit the ET run off a 10.50 index... there is a group of alcohol funny cars in western Canada that race off a 6.99 index iirc ... its the same situation as this where there was tons of guys that want to race but can't go out and compete in NHRA alcohol classes.

Chad, I lost a ton of money trying to make it work. Nobody will show up and race their trucks. On paper and in theory it should have went over very well. I had a lot of conversations with people that said hell yea, sounds great and I will be there. When Jeff Garmon and I created the Super Stock class for the $50k race in Bradenton it drew 11 trucks. Thats right, $50,000.00 and 11 trucks showed up. You tell me what its going to take to put trucks on the track.

If a 10.5 index is made why on earth would your put a weight restriction on it??!

I didn't see the thread title about the suggested index, I thought this was the annual change rule thread before the finals.
My thought was with the current rules of super street to add some more trucks to the field with an economical option & also can be competitive

I'm not going to enter into the discusion on should SS be an index class. I've won it multiple times and always had fun racing in the class.

I personally would like to see a 10.90 index class. I race in one with the NHRA, and have a blast. Just some food for thought... It would take about 200 more hp for a super diesel truck to race in a 10.90 class. Around 880hp, without stripping weight. We know that this is doable and afordable (well, kind of ). At 10.50 that same Super Diesel truck would need to make pretty close to 1000hp. A 10.90 class can be run with a daily driver, which most Super Diesel trucks are, a 10.50 class would weed out most of the daily drivers.

Paul

Very well put Paul.

Chad, I lost a ton of money trying to make it work. Nobody will show up and race their trucks. On paper and in theory it should have went over very well. I had a lot of conversations with people that said hell yea, sounds great and I will be there. When Jeff Garmon and I created the Super Stock class for the $50k race in Bradenton it drew 11 trucks. Thats right, $50,000.00 and 11 trucks showed up. You tell me what its going to take to put trucks on the track.

So you don't think that all the haggling over the turbo rules had anything to do with people not showing up? Then changing the class up for heavier trucks the next year didn't affect turnout? I'm not trying to argue Gary, but these are some of the things I know for a fact that people talked about. I tried getting turbo's the first time 3 months before the race, and ended up getting one from Bullseye about 3 days before we left to head down there.

As someone who runs in PS I want to first say my hat is off to guys like Seth, and Team Green as well as the guys in SS like rob who have done nothing wrong by pushing the class's to levels they have. They compete with the same set of rules as everyone else.

Now all that being said I am not going to lie. I would easily move to a 10.20 or 10.50 index class if it were to happen. I also know of several other trucks who would be very likely to make this jump as well. Max and Bus would likely go that route as well. When I started trying to run the PS class a consistent low 10 truck could win at any event in PS. Now it takes a mid to low 9 truck. Being a small independent guy I find my self questioning whether or not I will compete next year as I just can not afford to keep chasing those ET's with out some major funds. I am also not able to run SS with the trucks setup and it was never a consideration at the time.

If they did add another index class I think it has to be just like SD class 10.20 or 10.50 only rules are meeting the safety requirements for speed and ET and PT. To put a weight restriction on it is only going to kill the class before it even starts. Right now the only options I have are PS and try to run low 9's I can't afford or completely cut the trucks nuts off and dial it back to the SD class.

So you don't think that all the haggling over the turbo rules had anything to do with people not showing up? Then changing the class up for heavier trucks the next year didn't affect turnout? I'm not trying to argue Gary, but these are some of the things I know for a fact that people talked about. I tried getting turbo's the first time 3 months before the race, and ended up getting one from Bullseye about 3 days before we left to head down there.

No offense but the ONLY reason that first race had such a big turn out was the huge purse....

Paul

Actually Paul I believe that would be the point is to weed out the daily drivers. At 11.49 your required to have a bar anyways and thats not what I would really call a daily driver any how. It wouldn't be a the poor man class it would be for the guy who is getting serious but on a budget to hopefully transition to the higher demand pro class's. With the exception of a handful of ET and SD drivers its not a class that people usually travel to multiple events to compete in.

How much was the entry fee for thus said 50k??

Entry fee was $500.00 for Super Stock. Aron, I personally did not have anything to do with the original turbo rules for Super Stock and you know that. I personally wish all of you racers the best, I think I'm done with it. I used to have a lot of fun in the diesel racing community. But with all of the drama, back stabbing and BS its just not fun. I was trying to point out that until racers fill the tracks with way more trucks, people will have to run wherever they fit in. I see where Dennis is going to include a 10.50 index class for the TS race next year. I really hope it works for him. I think that Randy @ NHRDA is doing a great job trying to build a better truck count and his heart is in the right place as far as racers are concerned. Best of luck to ya'll.

$500 entry fee for one race is a pretty big gamble IMO thats what hurt turnout.

$500 entry fee for one race is a pretty big gamble IMO thats what hurt turnout.

Considering the amount of money in these types of trucks, fuel and lodging, $500.00 ain't squat. Every time that I leave my house going to a race I spend a minimum of $1000.00. Most of the time it is way more than that. Have I *****ed about the cost? No, I wanted to race. This is not a cheap sport to get into and travel all over the country chasing points. If spending money like it grows on trees to fund a truck and race maybe this isn't your cup of tea. If a person was to go to every race humanly possible and you won every event you would still be in the hole. Forgive me for trying something different. Like I've been told by countless people, fill the classes that you have first.

Paul

I really like the idea of a 10.90 index. I want to build a dedicated race truck, but don't have the funds to keep a truck alive in the low 10's, high 9's to be competitive in super street. I currently double class in sportsman and super diesel running 12.0 and 11.9. It is my daily driven truck and weighs 8k in current race trim. I have the power to run 10.90 with this current truck, but how long will it last needing better than a 1000hp to run 10.90 at its current weight.

There is a gap that needs filled, but until truck counts are up, it will be hard for Randy to justify another class with more payouts. Maybe super diesel becomes 10.9 instead of 11.9.

Considering the amount of money in these types of trucks, fuel and lodging, $500.00 ain't squat. Every time that I leave my house going to a race I spend a minimum of $1000.00. Most of the time it is way more than that. Have I *****ed about the cost? No, I wanted to race. This is not a cheap sport to get into and travel all over the country chasing points. If spending money like it grows on trees to fund a truck and race maybe this isn't your cup of tea. If a person was to go to every race humanly possible and you won every event you would still be in the hole. Forgive me for trying something different. Like I've been told by countless people, fill the classes that you have first.

What's your idea of full classes?

I agree tho 1000 bucks a trip gets old but its what we do.

Honestly it would be allot cheaper to travel 110 miles hit a gasser race run 10.9 index and come home from prob less than 200 bucks a day sometimes you can run two days same track tons of good races and cars. But I like diesel racing too.

Like I said until it becomes not fun I'll keep going to nhrda races

A full class to me would be 16 trucks in each class.

I hate to seem like Im targeting him, but finding 15 other truck owners to come run against Rob is never gonna happen.

Maybe Im in left feild with this idea, but require a class jump after dominating....or add weight. All the local 8.5/10.5/true street races that do very well all have in the rules the weight can be added to a car that dominates the feild.

I find it entertaining that this thread is full of "its not gonna work" and Dennis Perrys thread is full of "yes I will be there" and even one "im gonna build a truck for the class".

A full class to me would be 16 trucks in each class.

That's fair I think. Not sure how many were in superstreet in Montana but I think it was close to that. Prostreet was only like 10 and most double classed including myself