Changing superstreet to a 10.5-10.9 index class

Rules

I'm not faulting Rob at all for doing what he has done. He has built a awsome truck that kicks a$$. I just don't think that is how the class was invisioned at the start. Super Street if made a 10.50 class would put it back at a drivers class and not the guy with the deepest pockets of biggest sponsors. There has to be room for younger guys to grow into and there also needs to be a class for the balls to the walls guys to run as fast as they can. I'm not sure how to make all that happen but to grow the sport I think it needs to somehow.

Im one of those guys. I have been racing in the 12.0 index class this year. My truck runs 11.60's all out. Why the hell would i put a cage in my truck and bump up a class to get smoked by high 9 second trucks? The gap betweeen the two classes are way to big.

This isn't sled pulling. Fuel only, you would kill the sport. They tryed to play that game already, it lasted one race.

I don't think anything is going to happen until they get a consistant high truck count racing.

I agree completely and scaring racers off doesn't help that.
It will be interesting to see how all this plays out

What about having 2 parts of ss?

The first part could be a 10.50 index, at x amount of weight, dot tire, roll bar.

The second part is heads up, lower weight restriction, slicks, full frame, roll cage. ( kinda sounds like pro street) lmao

Im one of those guys. I have been racing in the 12.0 index class this year. My truck runs 11.60's all out. Why the hell would i put a cage in my truck and bump up a class to get smoked by high 9 second trucks? The gap betweeen the two classes are way to big.

Because at this point it is typically 10.1-10.5 second SS trucks that win events. The exact same number you would need to be able to run to compete in a 10.5 index. Don't take this the wrong way, but at this point you are much closer to running the 11.90 index, then you are to the 10.50 index.

So far (ourselves included) 9 second trucks have yet to be able to make enough rounds at an event to make a 9 second truck win in division 6. A division that seems to have more 9 second ss trucks then any other division.

Obviously Rob has won a several events, but how many times has Rob had to run other 9 second trucks to get that win? It is well documented that he only runs that truck as hard as it needs to be run (I'm sure we have all seen the in cab of him covering the dsp5 and looking over his shoulder to decide if he needs it).

Only a couple years ago Kevin Morken held the SS record with a 10.97, in essentially a street driven truck, it is now a full second plus quicker, and you need to be serious about having a dedicated race truck. Super Street is the most innovative boundary pushing class the NHRDA currently has. It is the reason that SS is as close to pro street as it is.

If the rules stay the same over this winter, and SS is left as is. My guess is in Division 6 next year there will be six, nine second trucks:

-Devon Lock (he was so close in Edmonton, I wouldn't be surprised if he finds away still this year at Ponci's event to get there. If he ever decides to strap a bottle to it, we will all be looking over our shoulders)

-Brian Spooner (obviously already well into the 9's)

-Shawn Ellerton (He says he is doubtful that it will get there, but he hasn't taken that 6L this far without being innovative, I expect no less from him this off season)

-Daryl Bruneau (has a new big set of chargers, and just needed a chassis cert, to start pushing out some 9's)

-Torrey Werenka (obviously already there)

-Rich Mead (Sounds like he went through a few engines this year, but I'm sure will be back next year, and has already run 9's)

A couple more that could be there:

-Simon (can't think of his last name right off, goes by sweetdiesel on most forums iirc) if they give up on that (imho) silly lenco setup and go back to an allison, or to a duraflight. They could run SS and would be right there.

-Supreme Diesel (Seems to be about a 10.5 truck right now, but I'm sure they could make it happen if they so choose)

-NADP (Rumor has it they have bought Aaron Schaff's old "Pumpkin", it was already running 10.1's at that point)

-Jade Zayac (Depends on which direction he decides to take that truck)

-Kelly Froese (If he changes his mind about keeping it as a street truck)

I wouldn't be surprised if there are several more under construction right now that I either forgot about, or don't know about.

The point being that this is slowly moving to be a 9 second class, and from the looks of things in division 6, people are finding ways to stay competitive. I think too many people are still trying to keep a streetable truck in mind when they think superstreet, but really to be competitive it needs to be a race truck first.

What about having 2 parts of ss?

The first part could be a 10.50 index, at x amount of weight, dot tire, roll bar.

The second part is heads up, lower weight restriction, slicks, full frame, roll cage. ( kinda sounds like pro street) lmao

Unfortunately from what I see, this kills one side or the other. Instead of getting 12-16 trucks in a class, you would get 10 in one and 2-4 in the other. Not enough trucks showing up to support both at this time. At least from what I have seen.

Maybe I am wrong and there are enough mid 10 second trucks that would come out of the wood work to run a 10.5 index, and there would be enough hard core guys to make a go of it in SS.

if you get 10 trucks in a 10.50 class wouldnt that show that there is a need for the class? i understand that it does kinda cut out the guys that are running low 10s to high 9s but they are running much closer to pro-street times then they are 12.00 so they can simply step on up because they dont have to change anything other then the class which they enter.

if you get 10 trucks in a 10.50 class wouldnt that show that there is a need for the class? i understand that it does kinda cut out the guys that are running low 10s to high 9s but they are running much closer to pro-street times then they are 12.00 so they can simply step on up because they dont have to change anything other then the class which they enter.

You get 10 trucks that all came from super street, robbing peter to pay paul. So the guys that have spent the most time and money on their SS trucks will be the ones that are left out in the cold on this.

I 100% disagree about pro street. Rob Codden's is absolutely the undisputed quickest truck in SS, in Edmonton he double classed and well he did have a number of close races was ultimately beaten by a dedicated PS truck.

PS is evolving too, but for whatever reason just not as rapidly as SS, however it won't be long until you need an 8 second truck to be competitive in PS. With SS being 6000lbs and on drag radials that is a H*LL of a jump, as we are already seeing purpose built SS trucks at the limit of the rules, and while they will continue to get quicker the rate at which they do is going to slow down drastically. Prostreet is still on the up swing of that.

Top end of SS is ~9.5 top end of PS is ~8.9. Next year I won't be surprised to see several PS trucks running high 8's with the top end being mid 8's.

For our team to go into prostreet and be at the same level we are now in superstreet we would have to build a new and fundamentally different truck. Which for us also means an end to sled pulling with one truck (more money). So for someone that already has spent a ton of money and time to be at the top of superstreet only to have it cut out and be told we have to spend a ton more to move to another class. I think that is BS.

If they want to add the 10.5 class, give it a shot, but don't penalize the innovators and the hard core guys in the process.

Oh and it really isn't rocket surgery to build a 9 second ss truck. It just takes some commitment (really no more $$$ then what it takes to run 10.5's) [except for those poor tortured masochist's that insist on building 6L's]. Too many people just seem to think that they can have a daily driver street truck, that still have power leather seats, and air conditioning that will also double as super street truck.

I should have said 11.60's fuel only. I have not ran the sauce yet and bet i could run high 10's to low 11's with alittle more fuel and a shot of the squeeze. You are right that i am way closer to the 11.90 class now though

For thoes SS guys who say they would have to build a new truck to
Compete in pro street, I think that's silly! your truck is already in the mid 9's that's definitely competitive.

If the high 9 second guys don't want to move up to pro street because the class is in the high 8's, then why should the mid 10's run against the high 9's. Above there is stated 9 different guys shooting or are already in the 9's in super street. Why would I bring my consistent 10.80 truck to a class where guys are running consistent 9.50's? That's like me saying ya bring your stock Honda out and race my stock Vette! Lmao

IMO I think that there needs to be a cut off betweent ss and pro street.$.02

This isn't sled pulling. Fuel only, you would kill the sport. They tryed to play that game already, it lasted one race.

I don't think anything is going to happen until they get a consistant high truck count racing.
I don't think you read my post right
Your not killing whats not already there

If a 10.5 index is made why on earth would your put a weight restriction on it??!

For thoes SS guys who say they would have to build a new truck to
Compete in pro street, I think that's silly! your truck is already in the mid 9's that's definitely competitive.

If the high 9 second guys don't want to move up to pro street because the class is in the high 8's, then why should the mid 10's run against the high 9's. Above there is stated 9 different guys shooting or are already in the 9's in super street. Why would I bring my consistent 10.80 truck to a class where guys are running consistent 9.50's? That's like me saying ya bring your stock Honda out and race my stock Vette! Lmao

IMO I think that there needs to be a cut off betweent ss and pro street.$.02

Mid 9's doesn't win race's in div 6 pro street. It takes low 9's, and moving forward that gap is going to grow. Off the top of my head I can think of 3 trucks that are at almost every div 6 race that all run 9.40's or better: Donovan (armor inc), Malcom (harbour city diesel), and Jarid (Bully dog)

There is no way we can lighten up a crew cab to the point that it will be competitive in prostreet. Also with the rules for prostreet you can run back and front halves, slicks, ect... Which we would be silly not too, but would make it almost impossible to put a sled pulling hitch in, and would fundamentally change the truck. We are currently 800lbs too heavy for super street, and that much extra weight keeps us out of the winners circle on a consistent basis. Move us to pro street and we are 2300lbs out of it, not even close to competitive. At 4500lbs you need to make about 900hp to run mid to low 9's. We need 1500hp to run mid to high 9's.

We don't want to move up to prostreet as it is a fundamentally different chassis, that will require us to start over, not because they are running 8's. Going from a street truck to a super street truck is starting with the same chassis, and just lightening it up and adding power, hence the rules being written the way they are.

Oh and 10.80's to 9.80's is just another solenoid. :kick: LOL

One last thought: No one runs consistent 9.50's in SS. As so far when these trucks have been demanded to do so they don't go enough rounds to win. Hence the two div 6 winners this year being low to mid 10 sec trucks. Despite what would appear to be the division with the greatest number of 9 second SS trucks in it.

If a 10.5 index is made why on earth would your put a weight restriction on it??!

This.

Why would you put any restrictions other then it needs to run diesel and it needs to meet the required safety rules?

Off the top of my head I personally know of three trucks almost completed for NHRDA SS class. Full 8.50 et saftey gear. I spoke with the builder of two of them yesterday and he would be seriously pissed if SS went to a 10.5 class.

Hopefully my Pro Stock car will be done for the beginning of the 2013 season. If SS goes to a 10.5 index, Max'd out will either be turned down for the 10.5 index, or maybe even go to a stock engine and run the 11.9 class. I can't afford to try and compete with a Pro Stock car and then try and stretch Max'd Out to run in Pro Street Competitively. Too much. I don't believe my sponsors would be happy about an index class either.

If I didn't have the Pro Stock car, and SS went to an index class, I'd step up into pro street with a mid level entry and have fun. I just can't swing two entries that are on the breaking edge.

I do not think that getting rid of super street is the right way to do things, but I do think there needs to be something in between 11.9 and super street. If a faster index class is made it would give a place for guys with decently powered conversions to race. It is much easier to build a light reliable 600 hp car or light truck. I love the super street class and was originally building my truck to be in it but life happens and the budget got cut. The truck should be well past the 11.9 class but no where near the ss guys, so Ill have to detune it and just run 11.9 if I want to race at events. This to me is a much better option than not racing at all, though I would rather let the truck stretch its legs.

Rob I do not think you should be penalized for being an inventor and having an amazing truck, I do believe there are enough low 11 high 10 second truck out there that don't have a class that would jump at the opportunity.

Leave SS just the way it is and add a class in between SS and SD. Maybe "true street" heads up 6800lbs weight limit. Probably see some close racing. This would at least let more guys run there trucks hard and have a chance to win every weekend and should still be able to drive them to the track. Either way this goes I think the NHRDA needs a in between class of some sort because running 11.90-12.00's probably gets boring for some, SD has some great racing but at the end of the day its kinda slow.

All I have is a hurt LBZ right now so whichever direction I go with that could definatley be influenced by another class added. I'd love to say screw it and get another dmax dragster out there though. The power to weight ratio is appealing.

Leave SS just the way it is and add a class in between SS and SD. Maybe "true street" heads up 6800lbs weight limit. Probably see some close racing. This would at least let more guys run there trucks hard and have a chance to win every weekend and should still be able to drive them to the track. Either way this goes I think the NHRDA needs a in between class of some sort because running 11.90-12.00's probably gets boring for some, SD has some great racing but at the end of the day its kinda slow.

All I have is a hurt LBZ right now so whichever direction I go with that could definatley be influenced by another class added. I'd love to say screw it and get another dmax dragster out there though. The power to weight ratio is appealing.

I tried this in Bradenton, won't work. I had about 40 trucks in the spectator parking that could have drove right in and raced. It ain't gonna happen. You are *bdh*. Just my $.02