Common Sense

RPM limit or speed limit will not take money out of the class either. I guess it might take the overall cost down, but still will be $$$ used to get the top parts.

Very true, you will never end it completely. But the "need" for a new charger every year or half a year would be less important. If you have the same weight, hitch height and momentum as the other guys power doesn't play as big of a roll as it does now.

It will never happen at a national level and that is a good thing. But some of the lower tier, local organizations would probably gain some trucks if they went along those lines. Obviously teching all of it becomes an issue but will leave that for another discussion.

So then it would be a clipped wheel protrusion charger?

Yes, I botched what I meant earlier... I assumed they'd be the same protrusion chargers just they'd open up the bores and no longer have a MWE groove.

I surely wouldn't want to see the stepped covers back in the game.

Since I mentioned the restrictor tubes... A stepped cover sure made a LOT more power than one without a stepped cover. Isn't that a similar situation/principal as the restrictor tubes - big ol' wheel behind a smaller hole? Makes me wonder just how small a diameter the restrictor would have to be to keep the power close to where 2.6 or 3.0 are at currently?

Has much research been done on these in a turbo class? diesel? Curious to read about it. Effective Diameters, entrance and exit shapes/styles/designs. distance away from the charger, etc.

I own multiple 3.0 mwe groove high dollar Turbos, so we have spares if something goes wrong... I finally felt we were setting well to be competitive and consistent... And now I have 4 Turbos on my hands that aren't good for **** if they go smooth bore... I like the max OD rule on the MWE groove...truck pulling is f**king stupid, lol!!!

^^^^ thats the kinda stuff that upsets me about it all. Lots of people have bought multiple turbos ccuz rules keep changing and theres gonna be a bunch of multiple thousands of dollar turbos they cant use. Im not a puller, just someone looking in so I dunno.

Isn't that considered a step cover which is illegal if the rule says smooth bore? Smooth means smooth no steps

Most people wouldn't call it a step cover if you simply make the bore 75mm and stick an 80mm inducer wheel in it situated rearward of the spec bore following the exact same contour. It would be "smooth" with no ledges or steps and no MWE, so I'm betting this is what will be tried.

You have to say the compressor inducer will protrude into the specified bore in the cover - or - tell everyone a max inducer size and check the wheel with a ring gage (and the housing with a plug).

Hope that makes sense.

This picture was sent to Me..Hmmmmm

Attachments

• Turbo .jpg
    Turbo .jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0

That would be fine if the "MWE" groves all around the opening were connected only into the 3.0 inch bore or whatever size bore is the limit. The problem is that those grooves probably allow air to the wheel outside of the bore and therefore makes the size of the bore that gets checked with the plug a non-factor. Show the back side of that cover and that will explain everything.

Looks like the covers BD had a couple years ago. I think this part of the rule is supposed to address the picture, "A stock map width enhancement (MWE) groove must be inside neck area where intake cover is measured."
Just like many other rules, too vague. Maybe a max diameter like Weston mentioned would have been a bit better.

I haven't seen the haisley covers with the larger diameter MWE but ED made their center bore pear shaped to move the MWE out wider but still staying behind the wheel.

Turbo pics

Here are some cover pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    56.6 KB · Views: 0
Cover pics

Another.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That would be fine if the "MWE" groves all around the opening were connected only into the 3.0 inch bore or whatever size bore is the limit. The problem is that those grooves probably allow air to the wheel outside of the bore and therefore makes the size of the bore that gets checked with the plug a non-factor. Show the back side of that cover and that will explain everything.

As vague as the ppl rules is now..... there ain't nothing that says that cover isn't legal.

A turbo similar to that failed tech at Hillsboro and Scheid, and there are designs that make more power and are legal.

On a serious note. How can they say it is not legal. Is there some where that defines the "neck" area of a turbo? Because to me the neck is what sticks out off the cover that allows you to put a filter, shut off, or hose whatever you would like. I understand that they say up to techs official discretion, but ppl asks for this chit the way they write rules.

I've played the Turbo game equal to everybody else Spent $10s of thousands on Turbos, If PPL wants to eliminate any guessing just simply supply the mold for the intake ,If it don't fit that's it, You're going home early, No grove, Max outside diameter, and intake depth, You can do whatever you want with the wheel and exhaust side. The restriction will be controlled on the intake side.

Smokem, They Should have brought Back up turbo for Scheids, I Know who you are talking about, When it failed at Hillsboro that was a tip it was going to fail at Scheids. Went home early because of it, I would have like to see them Pull.

I believe that's what Nascar restrictor plates are provide for all the national events except for maybe a few.

Truck pulling is even more (IMO) complicated then Nascar, Decisions is what makes a champion. Example : Friday Night at Sheids Chris/Wesley CK pulled just before Shane Kellogg Trump, CK went 288' and died ,Yep guess were Shane put cone Same spot as CK Double pack at end of track and a nice hard pack form 250" Trump wins By a foot over Sheids. That's not luck that's dam good decision making at the biggest event of the year.

Last edited:
And to all the people that say smooth bore is the best and only option. Why does ppl super farm still run mwe covers and why did ntpa just go back to mwe covers from smooth bore?

How are they restricting power? .......Turbine (frame size) limits

Back