Compound help, 12 to 1400HP

I completely understand I can't justify spending so much on a race only vehicle. There's more than one way to skin a cat though as far as building a bulletproof shortblock that doesn't cost an arm/leg. I don't see the need for a deck plate till you need well over 1500 hp.

Glad you got that out of your system, let's move on with the thread now!

Depends on budget. GT turbos would be awesome but like Marshall said $8k. For 1200hp and on a budget street truck app I would look around 75/87 box unit over 591 SX. My set up is very close to that and spools up great. Many folks have made 1200hp plus on that combo. Some fuel only.

Last edited:
Would a BB turbo not be the better choice in the secondary position? The thrusts always take a beating, and BB will hold that load much better than a JB turbo. And a GT42R is in the $2k range with regular cast housing. I was only into my GT4202R with tial housing for $2200. GT55 is around $3500 last time I checked, but that was a number of years ago.

Is there a holset turbo in the range of a gt55? Something that might not be as good but still works.

Why all the recommendations for such large setups? I know 12-1400 is a lot of power, duh, but like was said above, Lavon is doing those numbers with a 300/400 setup. The guy says the main purpose of the truck is to beat up on street cars, well you're going to want it up on boost fast for that.

The S300 turbine(73/80mm) and GT42(75/82mm) are very close in size, however the Garrett would offer greater thrust reliability. The F-trim(106mm) and GT55(102mm) would have similar response times, the benefit of the UTV would be lower cost and a lot of options.

Admittedly, I have no experience at that level, so maybe I'm missing something here... but I felt like he hit the nail on the head in the original post when he said 467/591.

Granted the S500 comes with decent size compressor wheels(88-91mm), the issue is the turbine is a bit lackluster, the large S400 turbine in a 1.32AR hosuing flows more than the S500 in a 0.85AR housing.

Is there a holset turbo in the range of a gt55? Something that might not be as good but still works.

An F-trim would be the closest, however a Garrett UTV is the same size and would be cheaper.

The S300 turbine(73/80mm) and GT42(75/82mm) are very close in size, however the Garrett would offer greater thrust reliability. The F-trim(106mm) and GT55(102mm) would have similar response times, the benefit of the UTV would be lower cost and a lot of options.

Granted the S500 comes with decent size compressor wheels(88-91mm), the issue is the turbine is a bit lackluster, the large S400 turbine in a 1.32AR hosuing flows more than the S500 in a 0.85AR housing.

An F-trim would be the closest, however a Garrett UTV is the same size and would be cheaper.

The S591 with 1.10 AR should be rated closer to 1600hp - 170lb right? 480/96 is like 1200hp - 120lbs? If it was a dog spooling I would suggest the 400 for OP but it is not. Quite a fun turbo actually. I have the 1.0 housing but will step up to the 1.25 and larger AR on top turbo due to the setups nice manners.

Would a BB turbo not be the better choice in the secondary position? The thrusts always take a beating, and BB will hold that load much better than a JB turbo. And a GT42R is in the $2k range with regular cast housing. I was only into my GT4202R with tial housing for $2200. GT55 is around $3500 last time I checked, but that was a number of years ago.

Was referring to the GTX turbos that are allot more than that.

Had my s500sx fitted with a billet 98mm wheel. I love it.

20150925_201755_zpsrdniaaxj.jpg

The GTX turbos are amazing but very steep. I normally wouldn't run one as a second stage compressor. I have one on Frankenstein but that is because I already had it. The gtx compressor really shines at high pressure ratios which is not needed in a second stage turbo. I agree with what has been said about the benefits in the thrust capacity of a ball bearing secondary as well.

The reason I was interested In Holset stuff was we get them In from time to time at work. Being I get a decent price on cummins stuff you never know. What do the Garret UTVs run? Are the 42's also that good compared to a s300? Always heard the turbines didn't like heat

Are the 42's also that good compared to a s300? Always heard the turbines didn't like heat

Super Farm turbochargers are most likely the most abused in any market, and the GT42 is and has been the thing to beat for some time now.

Super Farm turbochargers are most likely the most abused in any market, and the GT42 is and has been the thing to beat for some time now.

Good to know. I know little about turbos and even less about Garret.

Out of pure curiosity, why the suggestion of the F-trim as opposed to the G-trim? Other than simply ease of spooling being that he's looking to run it on the street the majority of the time.

Out of pure curiosity, why the suggestion of the F-trim as opposed to the G-trim? Other than simply ease of spooling being that he's looking to run it on the street the majority of the time.

Easier to find the non clipped version.

Is price the only reason behind looking at using the UTV series versus the equivalent HC5/HX80?

Just curious as I am looking at compounding both my big trucks, have the turbos for one already but haven't decided on an atmosphere turbo to go with my GT5523, though I have a 3.9" holset here that just needs a turbine upgrade.

There are 11 and 13 blade versions of the G-trim.

The E-trims I have are 11 blade and I think 98/130.

You guys have any info on the hx83a? I know it has the cast iron comp cover that needs swapped but decent place to start maybe? I can have one for under 600

just got off the phone with a turbo builder.... S472 billet wheel with a double ball bearing with 10mm shaft. said it will hold better then a GT42.