Compound turbo build and other updates

Well I tightened up my rigged spring gate(still need to build a adjustable spring thingy)and it seems to run better. I haven't gone wot yet but have hit about 55-60 psi total boost and I saw drive pressure at like 70 psi. About 30 psi from the primary. Still runs hotter than I'd like, hits 1600 egt pretty easy. Cliff I'm curious whats your egt at wot?

Hell you are getting more boost than me on the primary LOL I dont normaly watch the eft gauge and with how wet it is tonight it would be a death trap to find out but once it dries up ill let you know. Also 55-60 psi to 70psi drive pressure is pretty good imo.

Yup his numbers look great, i still think he might be over fueled. Even then 1600 isn't bad after a run.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Hell you are getting more boost than me on the primary LOL I dont normaly watch the eft gauge and with how wet it is tonight it would be a death trap to find out but once it dries up ill let you know. Also 55-60 psi to 70psi drive pressure is pretty good imo.

I wouldn't mind if the drive was lower but I've still got to tune the gate. But ya its not bad.

Yup his numbers look great, i still think he might be over fueled. Even then 1600 isn't bad after a run.

I sure hope I'm not overfueled yet lol, I still want to rack the barrels and see what it does. Ya if 1600 was absolute max that would be fine with me but that wasn't even full out. I really need keep the egt lower, I ruined the spool flange and started to melt the manifold divider running the 66 at like 1800+:doh:

I wouldn't mind if the drive was lower but I've still got to tune the gate. But ya its not bad.

I sure hope I'm not overfueled yet lol, I still want to rack the barrels and see what it does. Ya if 1600 was absolute max that would be fine with me but that wasn't even full out. I really need keep the egt lower, I ruined the spool flange and started to melt the manifold divider running the 66 at like 1800+:doh:

Have you checked timing recently? Valve lash? Same old questions i know, but something has to be of somewhere.

Have you checked timing recently? Valve lash? Same old questions i know, but something has to be of somewhere.

I reset the valve lash a little while ago, I have to change a few valve seals out so I'll be checking them again.

I haven't checked the timing since i set it but it was around 18-20 or so. I don't really want to mess with it cause i like how it runs.

I reset the valve lash a little while ago, I have to change a few valve seals out so I'll be checking them again.

I haven't checked the timing since i set it but it was around 18-20 or so. I don't really want to mess with it cause i like how it runs.

Does it still lag really bad?

Spools way better than the 66 ever did. 20 psi at 1500 rpm easy. I can build boost at a standstill no problem now.

Dang! That's even better than my results. I don't see how you're getting hot with air like that

How big are your injectors and what is the rest of your fueling setup?

What did you do to the AFC to control fueling?

Just curious since we have similar setups although your big turbo is well, bigger!!!!

How big are your injectors and what is the rest of your fueling setup?

What did you do to the AFC to control fueling?

Just curious since we have similar setups although your big turbo is well, bigger!!!!

Injectors are 5x.018.
IMG_0096.jpg

Afc has been modified for more travel, has a tst spring in it. I also modified the stock rack plug for more travel. Pump has no plate, 4k springs, timing at 18-20, 100+ cc 7mm comp dv's. Barrels are at stock for now.

Take the timing up to 26-28, you won't have 20 psi at 1500 anymore but you might lower egts a bit unless there is a boost leak.

Well did some WOT testing on the way to work. Boost hit 62 psi, 30 from the primary. Drive was 75- 80 in the high rpms. Cleans up pretty good but still hits 1900 egt!

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Afc tuning and timing bump should help you a lot. Sounds like the turbos are about perfect boost range wise maybe drive the 351 a bit harder for total boost in the 75 psi range.

My timing at 25 actually raised my egt's. I've found 20'ish to be the best area on mine.

How smokey are you before the turbo's come on? I know if I fuel it hard pre-boost, my egt's take off (still never over 1400) and never really recover until I let off, but if I keep it clean until it lights, my egt's stay in check.

My timing at 25 actually raised my egt's. I've found 20'ish to be the best area on mine.

How smokey are you before the turbo's come on? I know if I fuel it hard pre-boost, my egt's take off (still never over 1400) and never really recover until I let off, but if I keep it clean until it lights, my egt's stay in check.

It smokes if i want it to, but If I roll into it slow its pretty clean. It doesnt really make a difference though, still gets hot either way.

I'm gonna hopefully have time to build a adjustable spring gate this weekend and try running with it tighter.

Got on it some tonight and mine hits 1500* at 60 ish psi total and 25 from the primary. Still need to put the 5k springs in vs the 3k's