cummins or cat

If it was taken care of its just broke in good. My dad got 1.3 million out of his never had it apart.

ok thanks Loren. he says it runs strong. the rest of the truck looks well taken care of so we will see..

Ask him about the bearings when you talk to him. A new set of bearings every 250-300k is good insurance and the rest of the motor is pretty bulletproof. Also if its a 7fb serial # they had weak counter bores (I've had to have 2 blocks machined for inserts) and the older style timing mechanism can be weak.

Realistically the 3406b is a real solid engine with good preventative maintenance.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Hopefully I'm getting ready to p-pump a C model if I get the truck bought for the right money. The CAT pumps have like 10.5 mm plungers where a stock P7100 has 12's I think. its a simple enough swap with the right machinists. I'll let you know how it does if I go through with it.

IMHO I'd go with a CAT. I work on both everyday and they both have their issues, but I'll take the CAT issues over the 855's.

^^ you'll lose the rpm based variable timing by doing that unless I'm misunderstanding how you're going to do the swap.

i was looking up some specs and the new c15 is rated up to 850mhp in marine app.. other than the bearing issue are the B motors close to that strong? i cant find any of the older specs yet..

i found the c rated up to 540hp and just 3406 without a letter up to 465..

Ive been wondering if you could compound turbo a 3406? Im sure its been done but is it practical? I would assume you would need head studs and O-rings? Just curious.

They'll stay together under pretty high boost. A buddy of mine had a b that had a bunch of work done to it and it ran 50+ lbs of boost all day long without studs or o-rings. It made it 300k before it came apart but when it popped it was completely finished.

Ive been wondering if you could compound turbo a 3406? Im sure its been done but is it practical? I would assume you would need head studs and O-rings? Just curious.

www.greatlakesdieselengines.net

That should answer it for you haha.

I'd go with a B model myself, a mildly tuned B will outpull a 550acert every day of the week.

Last edited:
I had a buddy that bought one of their stock upgrade engines rated at 550hp and it grenaded the turbo in the warranty period and they told him to shove it where sun don't shine.

thats pretty lame, i still plan on using my 582 for my hot rod' motor and im pretty sure that will be fine..

SFP12valve;1710891 I'd go with a B model myself said:
I've got a mildly tuned ACERT I'll put up against almost any B. The stock twins do a great job keeping things cool and the bottom end of an ACERT is bulletproof!

[/QUOTE]
photo-31.jpg

photo-30.jpg

If two isn't enough you can go with 3 (not sure why they're plumbed wrong)
photo-32.jpg

aeffbc96-1451-f776.jpg

Wow! There's alot going on there. So it looks like its air-water between stages and air-air to the engine?

Somewhere I have a parts list for accert twins without all the extra bs. I was told it would support 800 ish HP.

aeffbc96-1451-f776.jpg

Wow! There's alot going on there. So it looks like its air-water between stages and air-air to the engine?

I don't know why they have 2 on the manifold and one atmosphere. Its the opposite of all the triple setups on truck/tractor pullers.

^^ you'll lose the rpm based variable timing by doing that unless I'm misunderstanding how you're going to do the swap.

Yes it will be a timing nightmare, not to mention the cost of the new nozzles and adapters for the head to make it work. A p-pump doesn't have enough pressure to fire a cat nozzle properly.

No need for compounds until you go big on fuel, until then there are plenty of singles that work well.

Also, I still haven't had trouble out of my 7fb, and I abuse the hell out of it.

The marine 3406C went to 580, the marine C15 touches 865, and the C18 does 1150. Btw the last two use the same block.

John, looks like they used the split manifold and ran the little turbos off of three cylinders each, that setup should really have compounds on each three to make that work right.

Back