Deranged The rebuild begins, at Texas Diesel Power!

Not sure yet. Planning on making it work off the rear brakes via a proportioning valve for TS, then probably a hand brake with a line lock after that.

You will NOT want to try to stop after a pass using the pinion brake, it is too grabby and easy to lock up the rear tires. When DirtyMax had a pinion brake, we had it wired to a line lock solenoid that closed off the pinion brake from fluid when energized, so I just had to turn off the button after the launch. A couple of times I forgot to switch it before a burnout, and ended up trying to stop from the burnout while having the pinion brake on, that sucker locked up the rear tires in a heartbeat. BTW, it was a much smaller rotor & caliper (I think it was a single-piston caliper and thin non-vented rotor, smaller OD than the one you are using).

Overall I like the idea of a pinion brake, it minimizes the shock to the chassis (most drivetrain slop is taken up), and it allows you to build full boost before turning on the stage light.

I think Mike runs his with a PV and driveshaft brake is on all the time. Seems like it would be ideal to have a hand brake for just the drive shaft brake.

does the additional wieght being at the axles effect it as much as on the drive shaft?

is the truck going to stop with out the brakes you pulled off?

He's jacking with y'all. And really? Are we gonna split hairs over the rotating mass of 1 brake rotor ? This isn't a Pro Mod truck where every pound counts....it's a fun truck to go play in. If it were that technical we would have addressed unsprung weight and not used a Sterling 10.5 rear end.
Some people are taking adding a pinion brake a little too seriously....

Did you upgrade the quality on the fasteners for that pinion brake setup?

Jeff, go finish one of your projects and let me worry about this one. We used JB weld, cardboard and super glue to get it together. :nail: No, I am going to use the brakes to stop the truck, and the pinion brake to stop the truck from pushing through the brakes on the line. I am not looking for the last .01 out of this truck. Its a toy, had I wanted to build something that was worried about weight, I would have built a pro mod tube chassis truck. With what is invested in this truck, we could have had 2 of Johns Funny cars. :nail:

Got my BRAND NEW hood today, in a wooden box, wrapped in cardboard, with foam around it, and Fed ex still managed to crease it. GODDDDDDDAMMMMMMMIT, this thing is a PITA. So much for a hood for TS!

hood.jpg

hood2.jpg

if you send it back you risk it happening all over again. then shipping and whoever you bought it saying its the shipping companies fault. the shipping company blaming whoever you bought it from. a PITA

I didn't want to fry my tranny. Also, I am gunning for more than 1000 HP on this engine. Seeing what you did to your tranny at 706 I am glad I went this route.

you might be surprised at what you do with that trans. we have swapped my trans out 3 times. each time all the clutches are smoked. even with the upgraded eagle clutches. it lasts about 10-15 runs. just cant handle the power in such a light truck i guess. good thing i have a spare trans to have built and ready.