Discussion... will there be 2.6 in 2 years? or be 2.5 and 3.0

I think The single tire will help with some of the driveline breakage although there are some high HP 2.6 trucks that rarely break drivelines even on good hooking tracks. I think they are just set up and driven better.

In regards to separating 2.6 and 3.0 trucks I think there is already a pretty big separation. Around here we have several high performing 3.0 trucks including one that finished second at TS this year and one that finished third at Scheid last year. Plus at least two others that are usually in the top 10 at national events. We also have a couple high hp 2.6 trucks. We don't have ppl so the better 2.6 trucks pull with NTPA to get in some tough hooks and they can't compete with 3.0 trucks. I'm not sure how many 2.6 trucks pull in the same class as 3.0 trucks but on a NTPA level track with a NTPA sled and weight a 2.6 truck is lucky to get within 20 feet of a 3.0 truck.

I think The single tire will help with some of the driveline breakage although there are some high HP 2.6 trucks that rarely break drivelines even on good hooking tracks. I think they are just set up and driven better.

In regards to separating 2.6 and 3.0 trucks I think there is already a pretty big separation. Around here we have several high performing 3.0 trucks including one that finished second at TS this year and one that finished third at Scheid last year. Plus at least two others that are usually in the top 10 at national events. We also have a couple high hp 2.6 trucks. We don't have ppl so the better 2.6 trucks pull with NTPA to get in some tough hooks and they can't compete with 3.0 trucks. I'm not sure how many 2.6 trucks pull in the same class as 3.0 trucks but on a NTPA level track with a NTPA sled and weight a 2.6 truck is lucky to get within 20 feet of a 3.0 truck.

I am curious which of the 2.6 trucks that aren't breaking drivelines.
The majority of the top 2.6 trucks that I am aware of are getting ring and pinions pretty consistently. I think they have just gotten to the point where they inspect them and replace them when they start to see issues with the gears, before they fail. Even the performance pro $7500+ axles are still breaking.

The majority of the top 2.6 trucks that I am aware of are getting ring and pinions pretty consistently. I think they have just gotten to the point where they inspect them and replace them when they start to see issues with the gears, before they fail. Even the performance pro $7500+ axles are still breaking.

Some I have talked to say that they don't even look at them. They are cracked after the first run so they don't even take the time to look. I am sure they would change them before a big event. Not sure if cracks are considered an "issue" in your point or not?

I am in no way saying that the single tire would keep the drivelines alive, but it seems to extend out the time between changes. If a guy could get 7-9 hooks out of a ring and pinion versus 3-5 hooks, is that a win for the rule change?

We don't have any 3.0 trucks in our area so jumping up to 3.0 isn't really an option. Even the associations that allow them are made up of 2.6 trucks with a different turbo, IMHO. This may be a better regional discussion than national?

Some I have talked to say that they don't even look at them. They are cracked after the first run so they don't even take the time to look. I am sure they would change them before a big event. Not sure if cracks are considered an "issue" in your point or not?

I am in no way saying that the single tire would keep the drivelines alive, but it seems to extend out the time between changes. If a guy could get 7-9 hooks out of a ring and pinion versus 3-5 hooks, is that a win for the rule change?

We don't have any 3.0 trucks in our area so jumping up to 3.0 isn't really an option. Even the associations that allow them are made up of 2.6 trucks with a different turbo, IMHO. This may be a better regional discussion than national?

While it is an improvement, does it really fix the issue? I have seen 3.0 trucks bounce down the track and stay together. There are a few cases that the 3.0 trucks do break, however it usually has to be a bad hook.
It all depends on the pullers, if they want to continue to repair the driveline the 2.6 class will stay. It does appear that the 3.0 class is really growing. For the most part the engines are the same, and the rest of the cost are very similar if you add end the amount of driveline parts the 2.6 guys are putting in during a season.

Not matter how much you spend on parts if you don't set it up well and drive it right you're going to break parts.

Not matter how much you spend on parts if you don't set it up well and drive it right you're going to break parts.

Understood, however the folks that are breaking the rear ends in the 2.6 trucks are folks that I think have them setup right. Just asking them to take too much power.

Are you saying that the Indiana, Kentucky cummins boys don't know how to set them up or drive them?

Understood, however the folks that are breaking the rear ends in the 2.6 trucks are folks that I think have them setup right. Just asking them to take too much power.

Are you saying that the Indiana, Kentucky cummins boys don't know how to set them up or drive them?

That's not what I'm saying. I think there are pullers, no matter where they are from, that can set their trucks up to run the best they can while lasting. That's not really my point. My primary point was there is still a large difference between a top 3.0 truck and a top 2.6 truck on good track with a tough sled.

While it is an improvement, does it really fix the issue?

I am not really sure what the actual "issue" is to fix?

This discussion comes up every year. All we do is make people question wether to continue building a truck or not. When it was 2.6 and 2.8 it wasn't a huge deal, because they were pretty close. With the rule changes and the acceptance of the 2.6 and 3.0 classes into larger organizations accross the country the gap seems larger this time. And maybe the 2.5 class is closer than I think, because I do not see any in my area?

I think you can see the numbers down in all non street class pulling venues. Not just 2.6 pickups. Numbers weren't great here for any diesel pulling class this year. I hope we can build on the 2.6 class here and continue what we have started.

I put a new ring and pinion in my truck every X amount of hooks no matter what. They are always cracked anyway and I'm not convinced that setup has a whole lot to do with it. We've tried countless different setups and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in how long they last. Single tire might help. 24in hitch might help too but driveline issues is just going to be part of it.

Yep. I know some guys are replacing them every 6-10 hooks no matter what. I am on my 3rd set this year.

I put a new ring and pinion in my truck every X amount of hooks no matter what. They are always cracked anyway and I'm not convinced that setup has a whole lot to do with it. We've tried countless different setups and it doesn't seem to make a whole lot of difference in how long they last. Single tire might help. 24in hitch might help too but driveline issues is just going to be part of it.

I agree. I've set them up loose, within spec, or tighter than spec and it doesn't really seem to make a difference. I think 24in hitch height might be a decent option.

That's not what I'm saying. I think there are pullers, no matter where they are from, that can set their trucks up to run the best they can while lasting. That's not really my point. My primary point was there is still a large difference between a top 3.0 truck and a top 2.6 truck on good track with a tough sled.

I missed the point of the first point lol.

I am not really sure what the actual "issue" is to fix?

This discussion comes up every year. All we do is make people question wether to continue building a truck or not. When it was 2.6 and 2.8 it wasn't a huge deal, because they were pretty close. With the rule changes and the acceptance of the 2.6 and 3.0 classes into larger organizations accross the country the gap seems larger this time. And maybe the 2.5 class is closer than I think, because I do not see any in my area?

I think you can see the numbers down in all non street class pulling venues. Not just 2.6 pickups. Numbers weren't great here for any diesel pulling class this year. I hope we can build on the 2.6 class here and continue what we have started.

Everyone of the top running trucks shouldn't be having to change ring gears every 10 hooks. I thing that is what needs fixin'.

Since this thread means nothing lets just start over with the classes

2.6 will become Limited Pro Stock Diesel 4x4
Class will run oem driveline and single rear tires. It will also run a box turbo directly from garrett and will be sealed by them with which exh housing you chose. You could pick a gtx4202 or a gtx4294 if you want power back a bit more. If the seal is broke it would need to be sent back to get inspected and resealed or done by tech offical from say outlaw or ppl. Turbo would be locked in for 3years and can not be changed.

3.0 class will become Pro Stock Diesel 4x4
Class will run open driveline and cut/bar tires. It will also run a box turbo directly from garrett and will be sealed by them with which exh housing you chose. You could pick a gtx5533. If the seal is broke it would need to be sent back to get inspected and resealed or done by tech offical from say outlaw or ppl. Turbo would be locked in for 3years and can not be changed.

The makes the turbos cheaper since you are not paying for a turbo then machine work to make it meet the rules. You will have warranty on the turbo aswell. You dont even have to get the gtx series. You could have the turbo be the standard compressor wheels which make them even cheaper.

Since this thread means nothing lets just start over with the classes

2.6 will become Limited Pro Stock Diesel 4x4
Class will run oem driveline and single rear tires. It will also run a box turbo directly from garrett and will be sealed by them with which exh housing you chose. You could pick a gtx4202 or a gtx4294 if you want power back a bit more. If the seal is broke it would need to be sent back to get inspected and resealed or done by tech offical from say outlaw or ppl. Turbo would be locked in for 3years and can not be changed.

3.0 class will become Pro Stock Diesel 4x4
Class will run open driveline and cut/bar tires. It will also run a box turbo directly from garrett and will be sealed by them with which exh housing you chose. You could pick a gtx5533. If the seal is broke it would need to be sent back to get inspected and resealed or done by tech offical from say outlaw or ppl. Turbo would be locked in for 3years and can not be changed.

The makes the turbos cheaper since you are not paying for a turbo then machine work to make it meet the rules. You will have warranty on the turbo aswell. You dont even have to get the gtx series. You could have the turbo be the standard compressor wheels which make them even cheaper.

I didn't realize the 3.0 class needed fixing...

And as long as the numbers support 2.6 not sure that it needs fixing either. I do know that I wouldn't want to be throwing ring and pinions in the truck 3 or 4 times a year.

Last edited:
Then why is there even a discussion about it.

The discussion was about 2.6, and folks aren't sure about the support.

I believe I said, as long as the numbers support the 2.6 then may not need any changes(I don't agree with the class, but that doesn't mean it will change)

As far as the 3.0 not sure why you would want to change that. That class is growing very well, PPL is talking about adding even more hooks for them next year.

We can make all the suggestions we want but if diesel hits $5/gallon and/or if crop prices continue to drop, that will probably decrease the numbers more than rule changes.

Last edited: