Discussion... will there be 2.6 in 2 years? or be 2.5 and 3.0

How many 2.6 trucks were at TS this year? I know there were 70+ at SDX last year be interesting so see if there is a significant drop in trucks at SDX this year. Me I think not, that's why I don't see 2.6 going anywhere, there always seems to be people building for the 2.6 class.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

The discussion was about 2.6, and folks aren't sure about the support.

I believe I said, as long as the numbers support the 2.6 then may not need any changes(I don't agree with the class, but that doesn't mean it will change)

As far as the 3.0 not sure why you would want to change that. That class is growing very well, PPL is talking about adding even more hooks for them next year.

We can make all the suggestions we want but if diesel hits $5/gallon and/or if crop prices continue to drop, that will probably decrease the numbers more than rule changes.

Where is the 3.0 class growing at? Cotpc has lost 3-4 good running 3.0 trucks this year. I don't believe 5k would get a good 3.0 turbo this year that's what a hx60 cost two years ago. I noticed alot of the 2.6 truck numbers are down also.

Who else dropped Cotpc 3.0? I know the homebrew truck but who else? I've been deployed all pulling season so I haven't been around to watch

Where is the 3.0 class growing at? Cotpc has lost 3-4 good running 3.0 trucks this year. I don't believe 5k would get a good 3.0 turbo this year that's what a hx60 cost two years ago. I noticed alot of the 2.6 truck numbers are down also.

Tarr added another 3.0 truck
Tedrow, Smoot, jumped up

I think alot of the local type stuff is getting hurt by PPL expanding their schedule.

Maybe the events I have been to just had more 3.0 trucks than in the past.

You did see I said north of $5K.

Last I knew good HX60's were right around $4K or $4.2K

Tarr added another 3.0 truck
Tedrow, Smoot, jumped up

I think alot of the local type stuff is getting hurt by PPL expanding their schedule.

Maybe the events I have been to just had more 3.0 trucks than in the past.

You did see I said north of $5K.

Last I knew good HX60's were right around $4K or $4.2K

I've noticed the few guys that have jumped up, but imo the guys who have parked there trucks or gave up in all the different organizations out number the newcomers.

I've noticed the few guys that have jumped up, but imo the guys who have parked there trucks or gave up in all the different organizations out number the newcomers.

I agree, and I think when you see consistency come into place where everyone is making equal horsepower (relatively speaking) and where the drivelines will hold the power it will start to come back.

I know I have not pulled in a few years and even when I was pulling it seemed like every year the rules changed so much you had to dump 5 grand just to keep up with the Jones.

IMO I think if the rules became locked in for 3 years either regionally or nationally and got commitment from the larger organazations the weekend hobby clubs would be forced to follow to keep their shows.

The horse power in the 2.6 class especially has sky rocketed in the past 3-4 years. It was not too long ago people were talking about the biggest numbers on a 66mm with out spray 650-700 range. Now your talking 1200+.

It all goes back to whoever has the deepest pockets will win and I feel the tractor world has done a good job of setting the rules that everyone is equal in the class and your edge is going to come from how fresh the engine is, your setup, your weight and where your run down the track.

Not how deep your pockets are.

Call me ignorant but what is the big difference between 2.5 and 2.6 class. I believe I read the use of A/W coolers. What if A/W coolers were pulled on 2.6 class would that bring the HP down enough to help the drive line. What if the run a 4500 rpm cap on the class?

Just been following this thread closely and plan to build again in the next year or two but who knows where it will be then.

Last edited:
How can someone get back into the 2.6 class when a competive engine cost 40k? I don't know about you guys but to me that's alot of money. I had no where even close to that in my whole truck 5-6 years ago when the old 3.0 prostock class was running strong.

I don't think you will ever take the money out. Old gasser truck classes, every year they were pulling the engine and spending more on a better carb or more head work.

Heck even the tractors classes are the same.

Folks are happy in superfarm when the spend $5000 and pick up 10HP LOL
I think that is just the nature of the sport.

The key to me is to keep the carnage down, even tractors and trucks break. That is part of the sport.

I don't think you will ever take the money out. Old gasser truck classes, every year they were pulling the engine and spending more on a better carb or more head work.

Heck even the tractors classes are the same.

Folks are happy in superfarm when the spend $5000 and pick up 10HP LOL
I think that is just the nature of the sport.

The key to me is to keep the carnage down, even tractors and trucks break. That is part of the sport.

I agree but Imo it dosen't stop. The 2.6 class is making around 1300hp. They keep breaking the rearends and they agree to allow any axle. So now you go and buy a sqhd etc and buy the gun drilled axles, spool, aluminum hubs, have it narrowed etc and there goes another 7500 into the truck. It's kind of hard to stomach for someone wanting to join truck pulling. They allow stuff in the ws/2.5 class now that the rules didn't allow in the old 3.0 class years ago. There was 30 plus trucks in the old 3.0 class years ago and 70 plus in the 2.5/2.6, around here. How many are there now? They tell me though this is motorsports if you don't like it gtfo!! I have seen the local pulling track shutdown and in the last couple of years, a very nice 3/8 dirt track shutdown because of this. I just don't want to see it happen to truck pulling because I hope it's something my son and I can do together someday.

Classes need to keep growing and pushing the limits it helps keep the fan's interested and coming back to see more.

What are the fans going to watch, when there is 5 trucks in each class and the whole show takes 45 minutes? Kind of hard for a promotor to sell a class to a fairboard for the fans to watch, when there isn't alot of particpants.

I agree but Imo it dosen't stop. The 2.6 class is making around 1300hp. They keep breaking the rearends and they agree to allow any axle. So now you go and buy a sqhd etc and buy the gun drilled axles, spool, aluminum hubs, have it narrowed etc and there goes another 7500 into the truck. It's kind of hard to stomach for someone wanting to join truck pulling. They allow stuff in the ws/2.5 class now that the rules didn't allow in the old 3.0 class years ago. There was 30 plus trucks in the old 3.0 class years ago and 70 plus in the 2.5/2.6, around here. How many are there now? They tell me though this is motorsports if you don't like it gtfo!! I have seen the local pulling track shutdown and in the last couple of years, a very nice 3/8 dirt track shutdown because of this. I just don't want to see it happen to truck pulling because I hope it's something my son and I can do together someday.

Was it the cost of the high dollar parts or the economy that shut those down. I am curious about what in the 2.5 was not allowed in the 3.0.

I don't say what your saying is wrong. However that is part of the industry, part of the trends.

What are the fans going to watch, when there is 5 trucks in each class and the whole show takes 45 minutes? Kind of hard for a promotor to sell a class to a fairboard for the fans to watch, when there isn't alot of particpants.

Actually 5-8 trucks is what most of the fair like. Especially when your bringing 8 classes of vehicles.

3-4 hours of pulling and the average competitor at the county fair has seen their fill of pulling. So most of the fair boards like that.

The promoters like a mix more than 10 trucks on a track and the track starts to change from the first to last competitor.

PPL is pulling alot of competitors from the local orgs. Go to the PPL event and see the number of 3.0 trucks.

Was it the cost of the high dollar parts or the economy that shut those down. I am curious about what in the 2.5 was not allowed in the 3.0.

I don't say what your saying is wrong. However that is part of the industry, part of the trends.

It was the cost of parts a few people had money and the rest didn't so, the poor people said screw it and threw in the towel. I will have to dig up some old 3.0 rules if they even exist anymore. Tell me this Z how come you parked your truck?

Actually 5-8 trucks is what most of the fair like. Especially when your bringing 8 classes of vehicles.

3-4 hours of pulling and the average competitor at the county fair has seen their fill of pulling. So most of the fair boards like that.

The promoters like a mix more than 10 trucks on a track and the track starts to change from the first to last competitor.

PPL is pulling alot of competitors from the local orgs. Go to the PPL event and see the number of 3.0 trucks.

My friend is president of the local fairboard, for the last two years they have not purchased a class from the promtor, because of lack of trucks in the class. How can you compare gas pulling trucks to diesel pulling? Let's take the 8620 billet cam for example for a gas puller custom grind 350-550 diesel 1000-1800. Surely that extra 18'' doesn't cost that much more? :Cheer:

It was the cost of parts a few people had money and the rest didn't so, the poor people said screw it and threw in the towel. I will have to dig up some old 3.0 rules if they even exist anymore. Tell me this Z how come you parked your truck?

Don't really have the time, and I see michigan making a rule change at the end of the year.

My friend is president of the local fairboard, for the last two years they have not purchased a class from the promtor, because of lack of trucks in the class. How can you compare gas pulling trucks to diesel pulling? Let's take the 8620 billet cam for example for a gas puller custom grind 350-550 diesel 1000-1800. Surely that extra 18'' doesn't cost that much more? :Cheer:

I am going by what has been discussed at numerous org meetings. Fans don't want a 6 hour show. Bring 5 to 10 good runners and that is it, move to the next class. I wasn't comparing actual dollar amounts, but I know there are many gas classes that have 50k in the engines.

I think the reason why we saw such huge numbers of trucks in 2.6 at events like Scheid and TS is because back in 2007-08, every joe blow would get out there, hook, smoke his stock clutch and bend the tie rods on his dmax. It's not so much that way now since the sport has progressed. Personally I'm with Dan. I think crowds would rather see a quality 10 truck field instead of watching 40 basically stock trucks go down the track and choke at 200'

Racing around here is at best 30% of what it used to be. One track is completely shut down, two others now only run a few times a year. They kept changing rules and allowing more and more. In our limited late model the year we quit, they changed to allowing 4 links which meant a chassis change and complete rear suspension. The following year they changed the clutch and transmission rules. Year after that they allowed aluminum heads and aftermarket blocks. Total was roughly 15k more per car over three years. It out spent to many people. There will always be the die hards that would sell their house to stay in it, and those that the money means nothing. But for the general public they can't even afford to get into the sport.

I can see pulling going the same way. They already dropped the 3.0 class around here. 2.6 is still growing but for how long I have no idea. I have enough parts laying around to put one together, but for now I'll sit on it and watch where it goes.