E.D. 62/68/12 writeup....

Yeah I'll be pretty happy maxing out my current setup with the 62/65/12 when it goes on. Can't wait. Wondering if (when it comes in) I can get it installed one day before I leave for work at 2pm. Prob not.

Real excited that I got to order my 62/68/12 yesterday. :Cheer:

Chris, thanks for working with me on powdercoating it black!

Here in CA, the stock turbo look is what the smog tech's are going to be looking for. I'm hoping it'll help me pass the visual.

Chris recommended going with the 12cm exh. housing (instead of the 14) to help minimize smoke on throttle snapping. I will be running the Weston 5x12's that Tony597 has had in his truck for the last couple years. I know it'll be a great setup because he had pretty much the same turbo. Except I seem to remember his being a 14 housing.

Also, Chris explained to me that the bad rap 12cm housings have gotten (for drive pressure, surging, poor EGT reduc. etc..) is because people are so used to seeing them run with 65mm turbine wheels, where that is an issue. The 12 housing doesn't suffer from the same issues when combined with the 68mm turbine.

And if the 62mm w/ 'race cover' flows so close to a 64, I'm thinking this turbo is going to be a real "magic bullet". And if (when) I can make room in my engine compartment for another turbo, (my heated WVO filter is mounted to a custom battery hold-down on pass. side - taking up some space) this thing will be a perfect top turbo in a compound setup. But I better hit lotto or my wife will never go for it. A few years down the road.

I don't know if drive pressure should be a concern for me with this turbo and these "custom" Westons that Tony has, but I'm not really worried about it.
I'm thinkin it'll be just fine with *these* 5x12's.
Maybe in the near future I should think about an exhaust manifold and some airflow help on that end. But I'm not going to be pushing this setup to the limit until I can afford some headstuds and valve springs.

Either way, I'm happy it's all starting to come together.

Save your money on the manifold until you need it and put them toward studding and o-ringing the head.

Save your money on the manifold until you need it and put them toward studding and o-ringing the head.

I agree. But I won't be o-ringing ever. I'm pretty sure studs and maybe a thicker HG will be my preferred route. I'll never go above a level where headstuds are fine.

Also, forgot to mention that my fuel plate will be going back in once I get the injectors & turbo installed. I plan to advance the timing to 17-17.5º at the same time.

I had a DDP plate in there that I took out. It was holding me back (bigtime) at my current power level. It will get ground to a good profile once I know where it needs grinding. I'll also be dialing the pump in then. Right now it's set a bit over the top (smoke) with the AFC all the way forward and no plate. The starwheel is about 10clicks over stock too.

Just a work in progress 'til the turbo & injectors are here.

Had a 62/68 with race cover on my 12v hit 50psi like nothing. Now wishing I had it to put on my commonrail. I am running a 2nd gen exhaust manifold and am trying to figure out if I should go with 62/68 or 62/71

Had a 62/68 with race cover on my 12v hit 50psi like nothing. Now wishing I had it to put on my commonrail. I am running a 2nd gen exhaust manifold and am trying to figure out if I should go with 62/68 or 62/71

Go with a 63/68/14 on the cr, they work.

I have the 13ss housing with the gates welded shut. Before I welded the gate plugs in to completely close it off making it non gated with the gate all the way tightened down I only saw 63 or so psi drive pressure to 52 psi boost. I have the 68 wheel. If I was you i'd use the 68 wheel as the 71 wheel seems a bit on the big side for such a small compressor.

I'm not sure which way to go yet. When I ordered the 62.. I said I wanted a 63 and chris said that his 62 race cover flowed more air than the 63. My cam should help get the turbo spooling a little faster. Kind of afraid with my mods that a 62/68 might not be enough

I'm not sure which way to go yet. When I ordered the 62.. I said I wanted a 63 and chris said that his 62 race cover flowed more air than the 63. My cam should help get the turbo spooling a little faster. Kind of afraid with my mods that a 62/68 might not be enough

What are your mods, what are your goals?

I've got a SHO VP pump, 7x.010 sticks, Smarty, and FMS for fueling mods. The 62/68/14 will almost entirely clear at WOT. EGTs have been as high as 1400, but that is for a short burst with everything set on kill. No dynojet numbers yet, but I'm figuring I'm right around 500. With the FMS box off EGTs while towing are very manigable.