Excursion Lift

dieselex

Wanna buy an Excursion??
I'm looking for a small lift for my Ex. Basicly I just want to get a little more space for the leaf springs to flex to soften up the ride. I talked to Marty at Trucktoyz about the DR 3 inch but I was hoping I could find something a little cheaper.

It sucks because I really needed new tires and shocks. So I went ahead and bought a new wheel & tire combo & stock Bilstein 5100's.

After talking to Marty (that's where I got the Bilsteins) it looks like I'll have to get longer shocks for even a 3 inch lift. My tires are 285/60 18 so I know they will look a little small with the lift, but I can handle that for a while. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Yep...you'd need new shocks going with a 3" hanger and shackle. On the bright side, since your Bilsteins are fairly new you probably can still sell them and get a decent amount for them.

The DR stuff is very well built and nice, IMO.
The DR mini spring pack is cheaper.....but only 2" of lift. With either setup I'd recommend the use of an adjustable trac bar though.

Thanks DC.

BTW your truck is badarse!!! If I didn't have a wife and baby to tote around I'd think about really jackin' my truck up!! I just need it to ride a little smoother.

Ben

Yeah, the nice thing about the the mini spring pack...or the hanger and shackle is that they won't affect spring rate of the truck. And running a shock valved specifically for the application will help the ride as much as possible.

And thanks for the compliment on the truck......:rockwoot:

I just installed my DR 3" shackle kit additionally to my approximately 3" springs. The product is bomber and the fit is almost perfect. I only had to massage one hole. The ride is amazing too.

Last edited:
The rear was neglected in the replies. Source some OEM F350 blocks. I bet there are plenty used one floating around (I know I have some but cross border shipping might not be feasible) and buy some new U-bolts.

I don't know what the differences are in the Excursion vs. the F250/350 front suspensions, but stock for stock, the Ex looks lower. If hangers and shackles are shorter, you can as well source a pickup version takeoff. If they are the same, disregard. LOL

For reference, if you want to check you hangers, OEM F350 hanger measures 3.25" from frame bottom to center of spring eye. Therefore, the 3" DR hanger measures 6.25".

Betaracer,

Donahoe blocks are like 100 bucks! I would definetly be interested in your stock 350 blocks. PM me a price! Marty at Trucktoyz also suggested that.

What size u-bolts am I going to need with the new blocks? Those I can buy around here for sure. I just can't find any 350 tapered blocks floating around.

Thanks,

Ben

I have some F-350 blocks as well...but they are flat.

Only tapered blocks I have lying around are 2"

DCSpecial said:
I have some F-350 blocks as well...but they are flat.

Only tapered blocks I have lying around are 2"

According to Marty the Ex takes tapered blocks. The 350 SRW blocks are supposedly tapered and about 3 5/8 inches tall.

Nummit,

I talked to SREDISH about the mini springs a while back. I also talked to Marty about those as well. They won't change the ride on the Ex only the height. I need more flex for the springs like you get from longer hangers & shackles.

Thanks for getting back so quick guys y'all are great!!!:thankyou2:

Ben

Yep....I believe the Ex has a one piece rear driveshaft...tapered block.

I just checked real quick, the DR 3" hanger and shackle w/crossmember is cheaper than the Fabtech 3.5" hanger and shackle (going based off my DR price sheet and the Fabtech price on 4wheel parts site). The complete 3" system also included the bumpstop spacers.....and then the rear blocks and rear u-bolts.

DC,

Man, are you on top of things or what?!!:bow: :bow: LOL

Thanks.

My blocks are not tapered. A shim would be required to get the required angle. It is possible thst the medium (SC LB or CC SB) and long wheel base (CC LB) F350s use a flat block and the short wheel base models (SC SB or RC LB) use a tapered block.

I just did a rough UPS pricing to Frankfort, KY and it came out to $30CAD plus whatever import and brokerage fees come up. If Dan has a set, maybe his would be even cheaper to ship.

It looks like I may have talked the wife into buying me the 3" DR kit for my birthday!!:rockwoot: Big 3-0 is coming up in a couple of weeks!!:woohoo:

I found some used Bilstiens 5100's on ebay that are for a lifted application (about 4000 miles on them). Also if I can find some 350 tapered blocks, all I'll have to buy new is the hangers and shackles. And I guess the bumpstop spacers, bashbar and rear u-bolts.

You could also stop by your local dealer and see how much they want for the blocks....I've gotten some at the dealer before....can't remember how much though.

Be sure to post up pics when you are done.

The bashbar should be included with the hangers and shackles.

The bumpstop spacer can be done ghetto with a big stack of washers and longer grade 8 bolts, or made by a machine shop using solid stock steel and drilling the required holes.