Exhaust Brake Idea. Feedback?

So... an exhaust brake kit is out of the question? I mean... They aren't that much money, and you don't have to think.

A kit isn't out of the question...I just don't have a budget for one and I'm an engineer and always think I can re-invent the wheel. There is always a better mouse trap, right? :hehe:

Looks real similar to the way my Pac Brake is designed, without the regulator, or the tank. It runs off the vacuum pump, already mounted on the engine.

Cylinders can take some abuse, but the particulate nature of soot is going to eat the seals up sooner rather than later. Think about this, the nature of the beast is that when you are hammering on the truck you are creating backpressure, this pressure will be feeding into the cylinder since you have an open line there. Soot is going to get into it, most air cylinders come with the packings/o-rings well greased. Take a finger, get a glob of grease on it, now go to your tailpipe and get a good bit of soot in the grease, tell me how it feels. If there is any grit to it the cylinder will not last long.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade Jory, but as stated, I work with these everyday.

On the killing it at idle idea, don't sweat it, the motor will run, and won't really notice it. If anything, tie into the throttle circuit so that application of throttle deactivates it. You will want it for more than one gear and I find that going 6th to 4th, 4th to 2cnd works great. Higher the RPM, better the effect, but you need to wrap the motor to get there unless you still use that pedal to the left.

A kit isn't out of the question...I just don't have a budget for one and I'm an engineer and always think I can re-invent the wheel. There is always a better mouse trap, right? :hehe:

When I was looking for a 5" EB these guys Brake Systems Inc. - Blue Ox Exhaust Brakes
were the only ones that had a true 5" inline BD and others only had a 4" with 4" to 5" adapters price was good since they make them there. Never had a problem with it and has been on two rigs now. the cyl. is spring return and uses a 2 postion 3 port valve I have a switch on the throttle so when I switch it on fuel pedal has to be off to close it as soon as you give it throttle brake releases. they say 65# max.

I can't find a price on the blue ox...not that I could afford it, but was looking anyway. :D

I got the air cylinder hooked up to the air compressor last night. Wow, this thing is sweet. I think 20 psi is a little light. 40 psi seems to be pretty stong. It would take a hell of a lot of air for the cylinder not to be able to keep it close at 40 psi. Now I just need to see if I can order a 12 VDC coil for it. It came with a 24 VDC. Billy, do you have a good source for SMC pneumatic items? It is a VF1190, a special number, or "special order" so I don't think the 1190 will show up in the catalog. :(

We have a boatload of SMC stuff Jory, what are you needing? The coil? I can get one, but would have to order it myself. We get the same pricing as the company does thru Motion so it's not a big deal. I know we don't have anything with a 12V coil on it already that you could use. Now, find another coil and I can likely find you a valve that will work with it.

On the part #, many items will have specific part numbers so that you have to go through the equipment supplier to get the part in question whether it is a "normal" item or not.

ive been tossing this idea around myself. i have compressed air, so thats not an issue. I think im going to use a butterfly if i can get it to seat w/o binding. then have an adjustable pressure dump before it.
I have thought about using a cable. while that would be simpler it would have to be more than just a switch in the cab.

What if i want it to seal more or less so that it all blows out a y pipe with a spring loaded flapper gate. Among other things, it would sound way better.

I haven't driven a truck with a normal e-brake setup, mine is by closing the turbo housing off (VGT with controller), so I really can't say. I'll try to think on it some though.

Sexy........

VF1190Complete.jpg

Last edited:
^^^^ very nice. This is making me want to go home and build this thing. On that note, im off to the scrapyard to see what they have i might want.

Billy, after screwing with it (literally) tonight, inside the two exhaust port filters, on the top, there are set screws. They adjust the speed for extend and retract! WooHoo. Built in flow control!!!! I fail to see any option for a pneumatic valve that this little jewel doesn't have. Only thing is, they turn really easy. Might have to thread lock them once under the truck. I'd be concerned they'll change over time with vibration. I can set it to come in really slow then open as fast as I want.

*looking for a 12dc-24dc converter now so I don't have to swap the coil*

Last edited:
Freakin' sweet. I can't change the coil to 12 VDC for < $20 so I'll just use +24 VDC!

http://www.powerstream.com/dc24.htm

PST-TA-1
$18.75

It says they are NOT usually suited for solenoids, but this one is a "piloted" solenoid so I just need to chart the inrush and return spike and make sure they are low. It should work.

There is also a selectable output one on there for around $16 that has a 2.5amp output. :D

Last edited:
Billy, after screwing with it (literally) tonight, inside the two exhaust port filters, on the top, there are set screws. They adjust the speed for extend and retract! WooHoo. Built in flow control!!!! I fail to see any option for a pneumatic valve that this little jewel doesn't have. Only thing is, they turn really easy. Might have to thread lock them once under the truck. I'd be concerned they'll change over time with vibration. I can set it to come in really slow then open as fast as I want.

*looking for a 12dc-24dc converter now so I don't have to swap the coil*

Those will be the flow controls I told you about on the phone, red loctite will work in a pinch.

Those will be the flow controls I told you about on the phone, red loctite will work in a pinch.

After I got off the phone with you, I thought, "hmm, that's probably what them little screws do." :D

I've been around hydraulics for years...but pneumatics are a different ball game.

After I got off the phone with you, I thought, "hmm, that's probably what them little screws do." :D

I've been around hydraulics for years...but pneumatics are a different ball game.

The principles are the same, but the execution is a bit different LOL

Back