Exhaust Brake Idea. Feedback?

After I got off the phone with you, I thought, "hmm, that's probably what them little screws do." :D

I've been around hydraulics for years...but pneumatics are a different ball game.

It is an exhaust brake, not a pick-n-place, or overhead gantry. LOL

It is an exhaust brake, not a pick-n-place, or overhead gantry. LOL

True. I've worked on two of the three you listed...and an exhaust brake isn't one of them. :hehe:

Wifey poo has been gone all week so I have some time to play late at night after getting both little poop heads to bed. It took me about 4 hours but I got the cylinder modeled in solidworks so I can now automate the design and see how it works. I'll do that later, but for now, here's the progress. :D

CylinderModel.jpg

Just start sticking metal together, then follow this advice till it works :)

Force Fit, File Flush, Paint To Match!

LOL

LOL That's not me, Billy. I'll have it all modeled and animated on the computer before I build anything. Then I'll print all the pieces out 1:1, trace them, center punch the holes, and get after it. CAD is a beautiful thing to waste. :D

Gettin' closer.

EBrakeK.jpg

EBrakeJ.jpg

I'll just have to weld a bracket for the cylinder to mount on the FTE resonator.

Other side.

EBrakeL.jpg

I'll slot the holes in the bracket so I can have some forward-backward adjustment of the cylinder thus adjusting how far the flapper goes shut or open.

Last edited:
Nice to see that cylinder and solenoid is going to work.

I think it will work GREAT! Much grassy ass kind sir. :Cheer:

There are a few parts to mill so it may take this novice a while to get it done....but I don't think any of it will be too complicated. It may take me waiting for a hoiday to get the wife to buy me an air compressor fer da trk. :D

So, we have a bored electrical engineer being assisted by an industrial maintenance tech and advised by another engineer.

The end result=
images

I'm going to test another cylinder.....using the vacuum to close it first before I get all into putting on-board air and a tank and a compressor and more wires and crimony the list gets big fast. :D

If this larger bore cylinder can hold the flapper closed with vacuum, it will be a simple cylinder with one small DCV and one switch from the acc power. If it won't hold...this cylinder may become a can crusher and I'll be back to the original plan.

Side note for delinquent. This 24 VDC solenoid will pull in as low as 12.25 volts! Dropout is about 2 VDC. It is a piloted spool so I haven't tried it yet with pressure on it...it might not hold then...but, hopefully, a 13.5-14.0 normal voltage will work it and I won't have to use a DC-DC converter!

Roach..I'm not bored. I just don't have the funds to play like I would if I was single and didn't have two kids. I wouldn't trade either of my three. It keeps me on my toes and using my brain. :D ...what's left of it after college. LOL

I'm just saying that a true hilljack would have grabbed what ever was handy and had at it. LOL

What is your budget Jory??

I have a brand new US Gear 4" brake laying here, and no truck to put it on anymore....it's electric solenoid controlled, and has a wastegate passage to keep backpressure at the max at all times. They are supposed to be the cats @ss.

It could be yours....then you could just bolt it on.

Chris:D

Now ain't that about exactly what I'm talkin' 'bout! :clap:

Not "exactly" the "exact" thing I had in my head, but about as dayum close to it as you could get. Thanks. I'm still workin' on it...just got a hundred irons in the fire right now with cattle and spraying pasture and TS. That's right....4 more days 'til TS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :snoop:

thats what im building with only a few differences. My pressure relief is going to dump outside, and im going 5". I just need to get it finished and on the truck and work the bugs out. I do want to get valve springs too so i can run more pressure. With 110lb springs how much pressure could i run? I think 100 psi would be fine. that would be a lot of braking power.

From all the literature I have seen it is 60lbs of back pressure at full retard. It appears the only real difference is how fast the pressure is developed by the exhaust brake mechanism. That is from combing through PacBrakes literature and 60lbs is the max I ran across for Cummins, Cat, or IH. Many were much lower.

Right, but if you are making your own break and have heavy duty springs you can run higher pressure.

Back