Exhaust Brake Idea. Feedback?

So, in your "dumping the extra outside" thought.....assuming that you will only be braking when the throttle is at 0% you are assuming all the soot is giong to be past the brake or do you anticipate it dumping some soot outside your pipe under your truck?

Yeah, call me an idiot if you want, but i just want to hear it work. I really dont think there will be much soot to deal with. if i dont like it ill change it.

Yeah, call me an idiot if you want, but i just want to hear it work. I really dont think there will be much soot to deal with. if i dont like it ill change it.

I never called you anything. LOL Just wondered why. :D

I think we both got screwed on the avatar deal. :hehe:

What angle are you going to cut the butterfly. With out looking at mine, I would Make it 18 degress. If you dont when the B/Fly gets hot it will grow and jam its self. Have you ever cut a butterfly before.

What angle are you going to cut the butterfly. With out looking at mine, I would Make it 18 degress. If you dont when the B/Fly gets hot it will grow and jam its self. Have you ever cut a butterfly before.

I ain't never cut anything but a good fart. LOL Thanks for the advice. Any more tips would be welcome. I'm still tryin' to gather parts and figure out wheter elec, pnue, or etc. I'd sure love to do it electric.

I cant see what year engine you are using, so just setup a micro switch on your throttle arm. Some sort of stepper motor might do it, or just do It the same as BD. I think you can down load the manual from there site to have a good look.

I have a 2002 mildly moded truck full of bolt on parts. :D

I will put a two speed axle switch on my shifter. If I'm slowing down, I'm going to have my hand on it anyway.

What do you mean by "throttle arm"?

APPS has a bell crank, so you could mount a micro switch on that. Or just buy a DFIV from BD Diesel and pick the 5 volts closed throttle wire from the APPS. That will let you set the right position for the brake to activate. It has a fine ajustment screw in it.

Last edited:
Yip. I've got a molested APPS bracket that I was going to us....but I now have a lead on a butterfly valve.... if I can swing it, that might work better...you know, something designed to work and not conjured up in my shop. :D We'll see soon I hope.

Back