F250/Cummins Swap

I don't know how to feel about rollers/Torrington bearings. They sound like a good idea, but they don't handle shock load which is what I think was killing them when the 47-48 guys tried them before.
They also don't do well with a lot of stress along the axis on the rollers because the geometry means the outer diameter rotates more slowly than the inner per revolution. This means that as friction increases, so does torsional stress.

Speaking of stress1000003464.jpg

I had something telling me to go get the case out of the parts washer and inspect it this morning. Sure as shit, it's cracked.

I'll see how they run. My dad's truck is stock and only tows medium weight loads from time to time. The previous builder had install a shim to eliminate excess play and it was still on the high end of the spec so I figured I would try them out and see how they do.

Bought a core this morning, should have it tm. Came out of a truck an old man owned and wrecked.

1000003520.jpg

That whole wall is fractured at the base. Wyatt let me borrow the template, so I went ahead and drilled the case, center punched the sprag and then knocked out the sprag.

I wonder how many times that was missed. It hadn't rotated yet, but there was a gap between the case and the splines on the sprag.

I'm waiting on DPC to let me know where I am on the converter. I shipped it last Monday.
I'm waiting on that to decide what route to go on my valve body.

I'm still not really satisfied about the forward clutches burning down repeatedly. I ordered the upgraded spring kit from georend because mine was severely damaged from contacting the face of the planetary group.

I have watched the assembly videos from JCS diesel on YouTube and picked up a couple of upgrades from that, but my trans already had good deal of the upgrade iron in it. I don't think I need upgraded drums or sun shells yet

Do you think there’s a flow restriction in your cooler circuit? Appears to me that you might have insufficient lube/cooler circuit flow…?

Have you considered running a screen type filter in place of the Dacron sump filter and installing an external filter to handle fluid scrubbing duty?
I mention the screen because of the higher viscosity fluid (if I’m remembering correctly…?) you’re using.

Have you considered giving Dex/Merc a shot?

I'm going back to Allison 668 since I have access to it again. It had that in it when it fragged out this time.

It's my understanding that a restriction in the cooler circuit can cause the TCC to engage. Everything past the threaded adapters in the case are -8, the ports on the ford coolers are larger than the ports in the transmission.

It's never been over 80°c, usually runs 60 or less.

I have a side project involving a spin on filter, but it got tabled because of the cost of prototyping/life getting in the way.

I had a 10mic hydraulic filter and adapter bushing in my hands walking to the register at rural king and talked myself out of it.

That crack was a lot worse than I expected.

668= big money. It is Good stuff, better than any dex 3.
I scalp off the partially used jugs from work. I may drop back to dex merc or atf4. The thing about the 668 is that we have a kidney loop for I can clean it to like new

And yeah, that crack was ridiculous. There are two events when that trans was in my ram that I am certain got it to that point, one I was stuck with no 4WD 20mile from a paved road in BFE TN and the other, my brother had the nose of the ram in a deep enough hole that the tow truck driver said he could stand under the driver side rear tire. I'm guessing it got neutral dropped a few times, but years ago. I posted the video of the last big burn out I did with it inside and underpass. I haven't really shocked it. I did see today that fragments of material were gone from the low/reverse band. I was going to reuse it until I saw that.

Last edited:
Well, I F'd up. The transmission my coworker had a line on is a 2wd. I didn't catch on until we backed his truck into the shop to unload it. He said there was no.problem taking it back, but I told him to wait until I had a line on another unit. I really wanted to replace the OD housing along with the main.

I found a line on a 47re for a good price. Called DPC today but didn't reach anyone.

Back