Fast spooling twins for 600hp

Gibson

There's no love in diesel
I've decided to do a bit of add on to my 03 CR automatic. I have a decently built Trans already and a Smarty SSR. Trucks runs fantastic but a local guy here says his 12v is faster and what not so I'm just going to not have be beat him but put him to shame drastically.

I've decided on dual stock cp3's. 25% over Exergy nozzles, 625 studs, Aeromotive style fuel system with sump of course. Steed speed exhaust manifold and 6.7 mega rail set up with a passenger diesel intake and grid delete.

I was thinking a 60/65/12 T3 and a 72/83/1.10 T6 possibly billet or extended wheels?

Any thoughts on this? Am I headed in the right direction?

Would be good for 700 Imo maybe more.

I'm not really concerned with exactly how far I can go on HP. But I want at least 600hp and some fast spooling chargers. My Max rpm is 3800rpm now.

I may need to add in some stiffer valve springs? Yes no?

60s in it now? Stock cam?

I'm bone stock right now as far engine hard parts go. Only mods I have are an SSR smarty, FASS ddrp, and built Trans. Truck will go to 3800rpm or maybe 3900 on a good day in all gears except OD. OD I can squeeze it to 3700ish.

I would think it shouldn't do that tho. Seems like it is revving high for a stock engine and not floating the valves. I also have 441,000 miles on it.

Stocker or 351/s475 with a 1.1 83mm turbine would be a lot of fun and fairly cheap. Because I'm sure you will build it yourself.

Dang that some miles. Lol. Just add spray to ur twins and u should win

Ponci did a set of twins for a common rail quite a while back that he said worked really well and spooled quick. I think it was a 62/71/.8 over K31(the detroit diesel one with the wastegated 1.28 t6 housing). I ran the same setup on my p-pumped truck at the 500hp level and it was outstanding. I was only using a set on Mach 1.2's for fueling but it ran crazy low egts and towed geally well.

Stocker or 351/s475 with a 1.1 83mm turbine would be a lot of fun and fairly cheap. Because I'm sure you will build it yourself.

My only concern with that set up is the small 9cm turbine on the 351/341. I'm sure drive presure would be thru the roof. Price really isn't an issue right now but a stocker/475 are very fun to drive and quick spooling.

My only concern with that set up is the small 9cm turbine on the 351/341. I'm sure drive presure would be thru the roof. Price really isn't an issue right now but a stocker/475 are very fun to drive and quick spooling.

That's what wastegates are for

I won't be doing any towing. Unless its a small bumper pull to take my less than 4,000lbs to the recycling yard. This truck will only be used go to town and back and hit up the track every now and then. And every so often a cross country trip. Truck weighs 6,200pounds I belive. And is 2wd. I also be adding a set of cal track bars this week that I've had at the shop for a month.

a 57/66 bd twin setup should make that on a cr motor easy. and spool like stock or better. i put a set on a ppump motor i built with 5x18s and a good 12mm pump and it made 613/1300 at the wheels with an automatic. from my experience you dont need anything big for 600hp. just good tuning makes a world of difference

Last edited:
A buddy of mine had a 06 with a stocker S475 using an external wastegate. I think it was an old MPI kick that Nathan built. That thing spools super fast and ran cool. JGS Turbo has some great gates give lance a call. I'm running their 50mm on mine and love it

What about fleece's cheetah? 63mm 351? And an external gate. And add an s472/475?

The cheetah is good for 600 on it's own.

Is the stocker on a cr good as a secondary like hx35's? I'd say use that over a 72 or 75. My dream set of compounds would be a 63 over 78 for spool.

My little bd r700s maxed out at 871 this summer. Had them as low as 550 with 50s and a single stock cp3. Best all around twins in my book. 58 over 71. I have them at about 650-700 now for my tow tune!!

My s363/s483 spooled like stock, even with a stock cam with a custom-in-motor-re-grind. Good for well over 1000whp I hope.

Besides, racing, you're going to do a boosted launch, "lag" isn't going to be an issue. Go with the bigger secondary so you can avoid wastegates and keep things simple.

GibsoProvence. 430 said:

I am running a 351 as my small charger in my setup ported gate and it can almost hold off my fuel/ rpm. All I have done is a ported gate on it and a spring actuator. The gt55 on the other hand is kinds slow to come on but I hope fix that soon with a new housing. This setup makes 10psi at 1500 rpm on my 12v and full boost around 2100.

The 351 has proven to be a great secondary, the 24v buick is running g a 351 gt4294 1.28 and it spools great and is around 600 hp. The gt42 is comparable to a s472 with the 83mm turbine. People put to much stock into "custom" turbo's that really are not that special and cost a lot more $$.

And if you ever need someone to beat up on him there are plenty of Houston guys not to far away LOL

Just got done with another tow setup and I use either a stocker that I mod with a gt4202 or a 62-71.070 that I mod. I have quite a few tow set ups that we build. That's my favorite choice for a very quick spooling and clean tailpipe burning tow rig. I have done 650 hp plus and can tow very well with a very clean burn and low egts.