First test drive

I think I would shell out $26 for a new center lobe pump assembly and run it.

That's just budget minded me, you can do whatever you want.

There is a groove in bottom of the housing, not sure if you saw it but that is what worries me.

I saw the groove but it looked small enough to not matter in my opinion. I don't have the damaged pump sitting in front of me to make a better judgment call but going from the pictures, I think I would reuse the old pump housing.

Here's a question, is the groove on the bottom deep enough that it's going to cause a severe loss of hydraulic pumping pressure in the pump? Nothing in the pump seems to be super tight and they generate plenty of pressure (more than you or I need) in stock form.

I saw the groove but it looked small enough to not matter in my opinion. I don't have the damaged pump sitting in front of me to make a better judgment call but going from the pictures, I think I would reuse the old pump housing.

Here's a question, is the groove on the bottom deep enough that it's going to cause a severe loss of hydraulic pumping pressure in the pump? Nothing in the pump seems to be super tight and they generate plenty of pressure (more than you or I need) in stock form.

Look at npe's pictures of the bottom of the housing VS. mine, That groove looks deep compared to his good one... as for the gear its looks fine minus the aluminum or whatever got stuck on it and ground the groove. i was able to pry most of it off with a screwdriver.

I REALLY REALLY dont want to pull it apart again. So im playing it safe, if i can reuse it then i will do it. But if it has to come apart again im selling the dang truck! :kick:

Last edited:
Man, i ground the piss out of this poor transmission.

IDK what the crap happened here...

Check out the bevel
100_0092.jpg

And the groove for the snap ring got ground out too, so my intermediate shaft moves up and down roughly a half inch.
100_0093.jpg

And im still trying to figure out how these two came together and ground eachother.
100_0094.jpg

100_0095.jpg

Man, i ground the piss out of this poor transmission.

IDK what the crap happened here...

Check out the bevel
100_0092.jpg

And the groove for the snap ring got ground out too, so my intermediate shaft moves up and down roughly a half inch.
100_0093.jpg

And im still trying to figure out how these two came together and ground eachother.
100_0094.jpg

100_0095.jpg

Did you have both washers in there, one is a mickey mouse looking one(zinc/brass), the other is a steel round one.

Maybe I am missing it, but I am not seeing the issue with the snap ring. I see where the end of the splines saw some wear.

Last edited:
Did you have both washers in there, one is a mickey mouse looking one(zinc/brass), the other is a steel round one.

Maybe I am missing it, but I am not seeing the issue with the snap ring. I see where the end of the splines saw some wear.

When i dont have a clue someone else knows exactly whats up. No i didnt have any washers in there. :bang:bang

The snap ring made the groove in the shaft just a bit bigger, so it jigs up and down.

When i dont have a clue someone else knows exactly whats up. No i didnt have any washers in there. :bang:bang

The snap ring made the groove in the shaft just a bit bigger, so it jigs up and down.

The snap ring is thinner than the groove so it will move up and down. I believe there are 3 snap ring thicknesses. The different sizes can be used to take up gear train endplay. I still don't see the half of inch your talking about.

I have said this before, get a Mopar service manual, spend lots of time reading it. It has lots of useful info in it. The money you spend on the service manual could have saved you lots of coin. The ground up aluminum from the piston didn't scare me as much as the ground up steel that you have ran through the system.

The snap ring is thinner than the groove so it will move up and down. I believe there are 3 snap ring thicknesses. The different sizes can be used to take up gear train endplay. I still don't see the half of inch your talking about.

I have said this before, get a Mopar service manual, spend lots of time reading it. It has lots of useful info in it. The money you spend on the service manual could have saved you lots of coin. The ground up aluminum from the piston didn't scare me as much as the ground up steel that you have ran through the system.

Well the damage is done, and im pretty sure ive covered all my bases now. I will look for one, but it wont help right now.

Im hauling some stuff over to my transmission guy to be looked at. Hopefully this is the last of the ground up pictures i will be posting

If you can't get ahold of the mopar manual locate an ASTG manual from one of the transmission parts suppliers.

Also, the 2 missing thrust washers, there are several different thickness thrust washers available to set your endplay on the input shaft. You really need to get a manual and read it through a couple of times, then follow it step by step. As you can see, overlooking a small item leads to total disaster.....

I have a PDF copy of an `01 FSM that you can have if you want. Found it somewhere on the internet.

If you can't get ahold of the mopar manual locate an ASTG manual from one of the transmission parts suppliers.

Also, the 2 missing thrust washers, there are several different thickness thrust washers available to set your endplay on the input shaft. You really need to get a manual and read it through a couple of times, then follow it step by step. As you can see, overlooking a small item leads to total disaster.....

Spline engagement needs to be looked at, changing thickness of the mickey mouse washer can change the depth of the splines/clutches on the forward clutch. Not a big deal unless your using a thinner reaction plate etc.

just to be clear, the issue here lies within the lack of the selectable thickness thrust washer allowing the intermediate to grind into the input, correct?

just to be clear, the issue here lies within the lack of the selectable thickness thrust washer allowing the intermediate to grind into the input, correct?

Missing both washers apparently.

Wow Spence, looks like you might have waited too long to reassemble and forgot a few important parts.

I'll bet your input shaft endplay was really excessive with those two washers MIA.

I'm glad you're posting up all of these pictures, the more you post, the more people you persuade to forgo a home-built tranny and ante up to a shop built unit.

I wish you were a little closer to Las Vegas, I'd help you build it right the first time.

I'm sure you'll do better on your next tranny build.

I'm glad you're posting up all of these pictures, the more you post, the more people you persuade to forgo a home-built tranny and ante up to a shop built unit.

Nothing wrong with a home built trans, but you have to be patient, pay attention, and have some mechanical competence. If you can't rebuild an engine you really have no business rebuilding a transmission. Get a service manual, and become acquainted with it. Inspect your parts, pay attention what they do, understand how they work, and what happens when it works/no workie. Not every build will be flawless, especially when your adding improved parts.

Your right though I think this illustrates many of the issues you can have. One other thing is buy your parts(convertor, VB, even some other hard parts) from a reputable shop, (Goerend etc) that way when you experience problems or have questions, you can get some help from experts!

Last edited:
I feel your pain (been there) Spence but I about had to laugh when I saw this thread because I remember seeing you tell another member "its easy, you just gotta take your time" when he asked about building his own while you were in the middle of rebuilding yours. lol. Good luck, hope you get it figured out!

Wow Spence, looks like you might have waited too long to reassemble and forgot a few important parts. Thats exactly what happened, i took way too long to rebuild it. Lack of cash flow makes it real slow..

I'll bet your input shaft endplay was really excessive with those two washers MIA.

I wish you were a little closer to Las Vegas, I'd help you build it right the first time.

I'm sure you'll do better on your next tranny build.

Ive ben running back and forth to the local trans guy and he has helped out a bunch, Thanks for the offer though! This time.... hopefully all goes well.

I feel your pain (been there) Spence but I about had to laugh when I saw this thread because I remember seeing you tell another member "its easy, you just gotta take your time" when he asked about building his own while you were in the middle of rebuilding yours. lol. Good luck, hope you get it figured out!

Yah i remember.. that was probably a day or so after I bolted it in and was feeling pretty good about my skills.....:lolly: Im really outgoing when it comes to tearing things apart and figuring them out. Sometimes it gets me into trouble but Ive learned a ton by doing that, this transmission is one of the more expensive learning experiences by far. Ive certainly learned many many lessons.... Hey we all start somewhere!

Thanks Jason for the service manual! Im downloading it as we speak!

No problem, take some time to absorb the steps then dive back in! Sucks learning the hard way, but at least you're learning and have a good attitude about it!

Back