First test drive

well now we know where those noises were coming from, i'm sure the 2nd test drive will go better

So far these are the pieces I missed
1 micky mouse washer
1 regular washer
1 washer that goes on the input hub
1 OD snap ring
1 Backwards torrington bearing.
1 servo spring....?

So i was reading through the manual that jason sent and i saw that there are two springs that go with the middle servo? I read in my shift kit instructions that sometimes there are both or one or the other? I dont remember a spring coming out of there so im a bit confused.

The accumulator can have 1 or 2 springs. The Diesel transmissions only came with 1 stock. Some shift kits and some valve body suppliers will send a second spring to be used. If it comes in the kit or with the valve body, use it. If not, don't worry about it.

Thanks! Well I have another delay :nail: I got some sort of thing in my leg called celluitis or whatever they call it and i cant really walk or put pressure on it... I guess i will have to wait another 3 days to start assembling things :kick:

Thanks for the help everybody! I appreciate it, i keep waiting for this thread to turn into a "spence doesn't know sh!t about working on trucks" Thread LOL

Ive ben running back and forth to the local trans guy and he has helped out a bunch, Thanks for the offer though! This time.... hopefully all goes well.

Yah i remember.. that was probably a day or so after I bolted it in and was feeling pretty good about my skills.....:lolly: Im really outgoing when it comes to tearing things apart and figuring them out. Sometimes it gets me into trouble but Ive learned a ton by doing that, this transmission is one of the more expensive learning experiences by far. Ive certainly learned many many lessons.... Hey we all start somewhere!

Thanks Jason for the service manual! Im downloading it as we speak!

You and I are very alike in this sense! Keep it up and good luck with the bum leg!

spence, gald its going back together better this time around. bummer it dident work out first try. cant wait to hear about it back on the road.
sorry i didnt text ya back the other day. i do still have that 4x4 shift lever if ya still need / want it. hit me up next time your up this way and i'll give it to ya.
:rockwoot:

I had it on jack stands and i used half the damn 5 gallon bucket, rechecked it a bunch of times before i let it down to take it out. If that whine is just air then i feel a lot better! Fluid smells burned should i drop the pan and start over or try to add more and get it shifting? When it did have good line pressure when i flipped the lockup it would drop to like 40psi and flutter up and down. Same with OD

I didnt fill the converter though, i checked the level before i came back to town and for what i could tell at 3 am (which probably was another bad factor) it was fine.

Thanks for the fast replies guys, i kinda feel retarded cause i screwed it up on the first test drive. :/

I might be missing something, but 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket isn't even close, right. 4 quarts in a gallon so 5 gallons is 20 quarts. so you put in roughly 10 quarts. It takes 17 or so if the converter is empty. Sooooo you are roughly 7 quarts low- the whining is probably sucking air and making noise. Sounds like you probably have other problems as well, but this is most likely one of your problems.

I might be missing something, but 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket isn't even close, right. 4 quarts in a gallon so 5 gallons is 20 quarts. so you put in roughly 10 quarts. It takes 17 or so if the converter is empty. Sooooo you are roughly 7 quarts low- the whining is probably sucking air and making noise. Sounds like you probably have other problems as well, but this is most likely one of your problems.

It was roughly 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket, i used the whole thing and ended up over filling it a bit. I checked the fluid level the morning after I trashed stuff and it was full, but black....LOL

I wish I had guts like you Spence LOL You have officially made me re-think an auto swap for the most part. But when i break this nv we will still see if that holds true LOL

I wish I had guts like you Spence LOL You have officially made me re-think an auto swap for the most part. But when i break this nv we will still see if that holds true LOL

I imagine we would probably help ya out going through the auto. We have had a few mishaps, but most of them were trying some different than the normal setup!

Ive honestly thought about selling the auto and putting the manual back in.... Seriously this thing has fought me the whole way!!:soap:

Last night I went to put the trans in and when it was all bolted down the converter didnt wanna spin. So i pulled the trans and the converter was stuck to the middle of the flexplate LOL It got just a little sideways when i was bolting it up and got in there a little weird. I hope thats the problem.... :/

Ive honestly thought about selling the auto and putting the manual back in.... Seriously this thing has fought me the whole way!!:soap:

Last night I went to put the trans in and when it was all bolted down the converter didnt wanna spin. So i pulled the trans and the converter was stuck to the middle of the flexplate LOL It got just a little sideways when i was bolting it up and got in there a little weird. I hope thats the problem.... :/

Are you pulling the trans up to the adapter with the bolts?

You need to ensure that the transmission case is against the adapter before you tighten the bolts. You should be able to squeeze it together and hold it with your hands. Do not use the bolts to pull it up.

Insert the ones that are in the dowels and once the case is flush run them in by hand.

alright alright alright.... that would be easier if this transmission jack wasn't a pile....

anyways! back to work...

Spence,
You can tilt the motor a little to help things line up easier, I usually have a small jack and block 2x4 on the front edge of oil pan or harmonic dampener so I can easily raise or lower the front of the motor and help it tilt the back up or down to meet the angle of my cheap transmission jack.

As far as rolling it side to side, hopefully your truck is on level ground like a concrete slab, otherwise, it's a BEAR to get the tranny lined up.

^ i did just that and the trans lined up perfect, my harbor freight jack just couldnt get it high enough!! I got it bolted on and all thats left is the OD T case and driveshaft! I spent the last hour or so thinking of solutions to get the line pressure hose to not interfere with the 4x4 shifter. I built this thing without a 4x4 shifter for reference and some things come close! Had to cut chunks out of my boot to get it to line up nicely.

Im in for lunch, hopefully this thing will drive mid afternoon! yay!

Back