Fleece stand-alone VNT is ON THE TRUCK!

So it somehow dissipates the raspy fart-in-can sound that the 24v cummins engines make whenever you start making any power?

Or when compared to the 6L ford is this just a different flavor of hideous?

:hehe:

I would like to try one or maybe two on a 7.3L ford. As far as exhaust sound goes, no sound is the best sound. That or the sound of rushing air. All I want to hear is compressor whistle. The 24v cummins has the market cornered on sh*tty exhaust note.

:D

the raspy duck fart sound comes from the 3rd gen exhaust manifold.

Unless I go WOT, pretty much all you hear is turbo

the raspy duck fart sound comes from the 3rd gen exhaust manifold.

Unless I go WOT, pretty much all you hear is turbo

Then the classic 24v raspy fart sound comes back?

Quick question...

Has anyone tested drive pressure on one of these vs that of a fixed housing with external gate to see how the A/R compares in terms of boost/drive ratio for any given compressor size?

They seem listed in terms of a range, like .6 - 1.3 A/R or similar. I'm just wondering if the presence of the vanes creates anything like turbulence that increases the exhaust drive when compared to a straight housing.

Just seems like the VGT is win win win. (except for cost).

Then the classic 24v raspy fart sound comes back?

Quick question...

Has anyone tested drive pressure on one of these vs that of a fixed housing with external gate to see how the A/R compares in terms of boost/drive ratio for any given compressor size?

They seem listed in terms of a range, like .6 - 1.3 A/R or similar. I'm just wondering if the presence of the vanes creates anything like turbulence that increases the exhaust drive when compared to a straight housing.

Just seems like the VGT is win win win. (except for cost).

I tested drive with one of the quick spool flanges (closed one volute of the dual volute turbine housing). With one half of the turbine housing completely shut closed effectively halving the turibine housing size the drive still would not exceed boost until higher (greater then 30ish) psi situations.

I tested drive with one of the quick spool flanges (closed one volute of the dual volute turbine housing). With one half of the turbine housing completely shut closed effectively halving the turibine housing size the drive still would not exceed boost until higher (greater then 30ish) psi situations.

I'm wondering about, full throttle at __psi of boost what is the drive pressure with a VGT with an X to 1.3 A/R housing vs the same boost, same compressor but with a fixed turbine housing with a 1.3 A/R. I'm curious if the VGT causes any turbulence that might show up as increased drive for any given boost. Especially once the vanes are all wide open (or closed, whatever terminology is correct) and you're at full song.

the great thing about a VGT is you could run a larger turbine housing than you would be able to run otherwise because the thing will have the ability to spool

the great thing about a VGT is you could run a larger turbine housing than you would be able to run otherwise because the thing will have the ability to spool

Just wondering if X.XX A/R with a VGT is comparable to an X.XX A/R fixed housing in terms of boost:drive for any given compressor.

Beuller?

lol.

not sure... probably not... but you can go even larger, so you should be able to net the same final drive pressure

not sure... probably not... but you can go even larger, so you should be able to net the same final drive pressure

I don't think we're tracking straight here. It's not "larger" anymore once the vanes are closed back down from full open in order to get the boost back. So actually no, you can't go "larger" except in the sense of running a housing capable of x.xx A/R and then running around at 1/2 that when not at WOT.

What I'm wondering about is when a VGT that is capable of an A/R of say 1.39 is fully open, does it produce any more drive pressure than a fixed housing with an A/R of 1.39 for any given conditions with any given compressor?

Merely choosing a VGT capable of say 1.4x A/R and closing it down to 1.39 is not the same thing. There must be turbulence of some kind inherent to having those vanes impeding exhaust flow.

I was just wondering if the A/R values listed for these VGT units was apples to apples with fixed housings in terms of boost:drive all else constant.

drive might be slightly higher, but I'd say unless you're sled pulling or drag racing w/ a ton of nitrous, the capability of spooling like .75 and flowing like a 1.30 will be far more enjoyable than running a 1.39 fixed housing

updates? how are you liking the setup now after some time w/ it?

The first VNT truck-blue QC- him and his buddy came by the house the other day (fairly early in the morning-around 2am-ish lol) and i heard him get on it go through the gears at the bottom of the hill...........O-M-G!!

This truck sounded wicked! Almost like a rowdy gasser goin through the gears, had no lag at all-sounded unlike any other truck slammin gears I have ever heard. Woke my roommate up when he first started to get on it. I know that truck is sickly fast for street.

These VNT's are going to open a whole new book in the performance industry. I just can't wait till start compounding these chargers, and for the possible future for 12 valve applications.

Props to FLEECE PERFORMANCE, keep up the good work!

I've been loving it the whole time :cool:

it's the perfect turbo for my truck combo

right on. i figured it would do well. how well do you think it will do in a compound setup? i plan to put this turbo in for now then later down the road setup to a compound setup. i don't want to have to watch my egts while towing. right now i don't have to worry about it but i haven't put my smarty on my truck yet.

So in a compound set up, would you use the vgt as the primary or secondary? Assuming you could only do one at first..