Flow numbers on the head.

Hamilton Cams

ignorant
There has been some discussion about discepancy on the flow number of our head recently. On my bench I have seen our intakes flow any where from 220to 240 depending on the valve job. Our customers have reported flow 209- 235 depedning on a lot of variables. It is funny to see so many people saying that they don't work. It is also funny to see that people are so afraid of allowing them. If they don't work anyway, it should be fine if they are allowed..... right? I have heard of everything from, the casting is poor quality, they don't flow anything, I can get better out of my OE head, to cam grinder "X" said you and the heads suck. These things are literally a lightning rod for arguments.

Flow is very relative to the person running the flow bench, their competency, inches of vaccuum, valve angle, casting shift, the machine it is running on or the day of the week. When flow numbers are talked about, they are only good to see if a gain was had in doing modifications on one head, on one bench. All of this talk of aftermarket companies telling customers that their head flows X, Y, or Z is pretty useless for comparrison to another head on another bench in a different state. Even if flow numbers were identical on two heads done by different companies, they can perform totally different. The only way to make heads or tales of the whole thing is to look at horsepower curves, which most people will not show on their full tilt engines. For that reason we will not be giving flow numbers on any of our heads from now on whether they are ported or out of the box untouched. I have found that the only benefit to giving flow numbers in most instances is to start pissing matches.

Just an FYI for all the nay sayers. I have seen an OE head that flowed exactly what one of our heads flowed on a dyno be almost 30hp under ours over a very wide rpm band. When it is all said and done, the flow numbers in most instances are good for bragging rights only, unless you flow your head on your machine that you use to benchmark all of your heads from the past.

What I should have posted when our heads came out. Our heads flow around 55% more on the intake port and about 20% more on the exhaust port than the average OE head. Compared to a stock head they will make at least 50hp or greater in different setups if you have additional flow potential out of your turbo and fuel system.

If you want numbers before you buy a head I will just say they flow 180cfm out of the box, that should be low enough so that nobody will be dissapointed when they get their head on their personal bench.

Our heads flow at least 180CFM Gauranteed or your money back. If you need any number other than that, send your head to the shop of your choice. The premise of racing is mine is bigger than yours for the most part. Please take that mindset somewhere else. It is not productive for the sport or my sanity. Besides, these heads are cheating, and your stock head will outflow them anyway, why even bother buying one ;)

Zach

Last edited:
Zach, since these heads are now garbage, do mind sending one my way for the minimal cost of shipping + black iron scrap value? You might as well do a good valve job and install springs, retainers and keepers just for the sake of practice.....

Zach this year once the new season starts these things will either make it or break it (or make it so good they break it LOL), you know what side of the fence I'm on. Keep at it.

Just an FYI for all the nay sayers. I have seen an OE head that flowed exactly what one of our heads flowed on a dyno be almost 30hp under ours over a very wide rpm band.

I wouldn't say nay sayers, maybe just wary consumers, and the few I know purchased the product from you regardless. Do you have the dyno sheets?

I think your products are good quality and great for the growth of diesel motorsports. I just think some of your threads come off the wrong way. Make your point but don't make so many threads defending your own products. People will talk, especially if you are on top.

I wouldn't say nay sayers, maybe just wary consumers, and the few I know purchased the product from you regardless. Do you have the dyno sheets?

Yes, and I hope you will forgive me if I don't post any of that information as well. I posted sheets on our cams, they were called B.S. by some, I posted flow sheets, they were called B.S. by more than a few. I am a little bit tired of being kicked in the teeth. We all know dyno sheets are like flow bench numbers, just because it does something on one doesn't mean the numbers will even be close on the next. I don't feel like getting my teeth kicked in today......maybe tomorrow. Our heads will flow at least 180cfm and make at least 1 hp more or your money back...... How is that?

Lostnwalmart, you got your head on the engine yet? If not I found some more flow. I wil lbe more than happy to redo your valve job for free if you want.

Diesel importer, point well taken. I am not defending our products here, but rather severly underating them from now on.

Last edited:
i know im looking forward to my head from you zach... decked .060 for my street cam combo..

Yes, and I hope you will forgive me if I don't post any of that information as well. I posted sheets on our cams, they were called B.S. by some, I posted flow sheets, they were called B.S. by more than a few. I am a little bit tired of being kicked in the teeth. We all know dyno sheets are like flow bench numbers, just because it does something on one doesn't mean the numbers will even be close on the next. I don't feel like getting my teeth kicked in today......maybe tomorrow. Our heads will flow at least 180cfm and make at least 1 hp more or your money back...... How is that?

Lostnwalmart, you got your head on the engine yet? If not I found some more flow. I wil lbe more than happy to redo your valve job for free if you want.

Diesel importer, point well taken. I am not defending our products here, but rather severly underating them from now on.

Sounds like I'll be taking a road trip up to see ya, it's scheduled to go on next time I get off the rig but I can manage a day or two procrastination. Zach will you be leaving in the next 2-3 weeks?

I will be out of the office next week and then back in the office for a while.

I also forgot to say that HP claims are useless too. Unless it is on two identical trucks on the same dyno on the same day, and even then there can be discrepancies. If the head is not the roadblock to horsepower then it will not help you at all. i.e. If you have a fueling issue, more air isn't going to do much. It is said that I have to put so many qualifiers on our products, but someone will find a way to screw up their setup, and I am tired of being labeled as misrepresenting products.

Zach

Last edited:
Sounds good zach one truck swap the head and dyno on the same dyno....or have u done this already??

Out of curiosity, how many of the naysayers have asked what YOUR flow numbers are for a stock head as a baseline?

Zach you and Hamilton cams are one of the big company's for a reason...because your sh!t flat out works and last and if there is for some reason a problem with a product that someone purchased from the company you are more then willing to work with them and make it right. I know you can't say it cause your being professional so I'll say it for ya hey to all you pecker heads that think numbers at your particular shop that you use are the only accurate ones out there...get f*cked. It ain't even all about numbers it's about research and trial and error and properly setting up your truck to it's own attitude that makes a great build not some stupid bench numbers!

I appreciate you being supportive, but that verbage is a little stronger than how I feel. I am glad you think we are a big company, that means we are doing something right. It is just me and one other.

9724vf350- none. That was my point in starting this thread, to show how a percent gain would hold true regardless of the actual numbers used. Knowing that the numbers vary and that they are a vague way to compare to other heads, I should have known better and posted up percent gains in the first place. I was wrong and I am rectifying the situation.

That was my point in starting this thread

That's what I figured to a point, just curious if any of the whiners were smart enough to ask. When you first posted your flow numbers, I was more interested in your bone stock flow numbers for credibilitys sake.

I'm hoping to put a engine together this year that is more Hamilton than it is Cummins.