Ford F450 in 2.6 class

...That is if they could even get the truck down to 8000 pounds. With the stock axles, rims and tires I am not sure it would even be possible. The American Ride with the axles switched to Dana 80 and F250 Dana 60 front, single rear tires, regular cab, fuel cell, all ac components removed and stripped to pull still weighs in at almost 7600 pounds.

Damn. Where's all the weight in those things?

The last 6 inches to a foot of the axles shafts are still only 1-1/2" before the flange on the D110 anyway

-Michael

I saw a 08 450 on the scales a couple years ago, I can't remember the figure, but it was way North of 8500 lbs. I didn't think at the time it would make an 8000 lb. class or even 8500.

There is basically zero aftermarket parts available for the 110. You have to go to a Ford dealer to buy a new ring and pinion. Your only option for a locker is a welder. Then add in the fact that there are about zero rim options except like 19.5". You would have to have custom rims made. The list would go on and on. I don't think anyone in their right mind would switch to a 110.

I say let 450's pull. If they still had stock axles I bet they would be a bottom of the pack puller. That is if they could even get the truck down to 8000 pounds. With the stock axles, rims and tires I am not sure it would even be possible. The American Ride with the axles switched to Dana 80 and F250 Dana 60 front, single rear tires, regular cab, fuel cell, all ac components removed and stripped to pull still weighs in at almost 7600 pounds.

I agree let them pull as long as they have 1 ton or less drivetrain conponents

my 99 f450 doesn't have a d80 or 16 inch tires either. Must be a limited edition anybody want to buy it? As for making weight I don't see that happening either.

I'm thinking our 2010 weighed in the range of 8,900 when we ran it across the scales? Thats a 4 door long bed 4x4 King ranch truck....

Should be pretty close to identical I think. Our 450 and my dads 350 look the same except for wheels and axles

You can get a S110 under a Dodge 4500 or a Chevy 4500.

Its not like we would pull a stock 450 in a class that has 100k plus trucks running in it already. Making weight would be easy if you don't mind cutting up a high priced trucks that most pullers don't seem to have a problem with. Just saying if the title does say ton and it is a 450 with the large rear it should make the rear end legal for all trucks.

I'm kinda scratchin' my head on this one.

The debate comes down to, is this is a "one ton" truck or not? (whatever that means, they can all haul way more than one ton, often two, and sometimes even more depending on the chassis configuration)

If you go to Ford's website (I know, take a deep breath) and look under the Super Duty section, "Payload Package Selector", they offer the same GVWR in the 350 and 450 (max 13,300 lbs).

So if that's the case, if the 350 is legal, then so is the 450, and the S110 would have to be legal for everyone, unless someone specifically rules it out.

I'm not sure how the techs will react to it though, might need to keep a printout of the specs with you!

Anyone have a different way of looking at this?

Last edited:
In my opinion a half ton has been for years a F150, a 3/4 ton was a F250 and one ton was F350. If it is a F450 its bigger then a one ton end of story.

Honestly I don't think the s110 would be much stronger than a D80 or AAM. I used to make the ring gear and pinions for them at the Dana Corp here in Glasgow. The ring gear and half of the differenttial housing are all one piece, and the pinion shaft is larger in diameter, but as for the mass of the teeth on the gear set, i believe the D80 and AAM has the same amount of strength if not stronger than the teeth on the AAM.

In my opinion a half ton has been for years a F150, a 3/4 ton was a F250 and one ton was F350. If it is a F450 its bigger then a one ton end of story.

Based on what actual information? Or are you just saying 450 > 350 so "that's it"???

If the GVWR is the same as a 350, how is it "bigger"?