ford ranger diesel

From what I've read the Isuzu does better on fuel and cheaper to find. You can buy a entire truck for around 2K and scrap the rest to recoup some money.

Well its like this. You'll spend 1200-2500 for a running complete 4bt cummins. Then you'll buy a dodge transmission to put behind it. Now as far as power goes, anything you do to motor requires the trans to be beefed up...then you have the tiny azz rear dif in the ranger that will start making babies because it can't handle the torque...oh yeah the trucks frame will twist as well. I think this is the reason others have suggested you find a little truck with a Diesel in it and drive it!

I have seen a 1500 Chevy frame twist from the torque of a 4bt.

wow thats crazy how much power was it making? I have seen a few 1500s with some pretty big gas motors and not having that problem (that i know of)

yeah i would like to know how much power it was putting out to cause i know my 1500 with my 355 was running 650 lbs no problem so it had to be loping pretty hard to twist that frame

yeah i would like to know how much power it was putting out to cause i know my 1500 with my 355 was running 650 lbs no problem so it had to be loping pretty hard to twist that frame

i guess it possible had to be a real monster though, or a rotted frame:hehe:

Ah wow... Ok first things first your compairing a 1500 frame to a rangers frame, second a 355 with 650ftlbs of tq huh... so you had a 7-800 hp motor, I wanna see vids, third what does loping have to do with anything about twisting a frame?

:poke:

i got the motor in my 85 chevy at home i was running it for a mud truck for some time and loping have a hell of a jerk to it ive seen guy twist frame because of it and ill give you acceleration has caused more twisted frames

but thats not the point the whole point of this thread is to figure out what would be better in the ranger and so far it seems to be a 4bt

im still leaning toward the cummins 4bt uses the same parts as a 6bt just with 2 less parts to buy in some cases

I have a Perkins 4.135 (2.2L) in my '84 Ranger that it came with from the factory. 230k miles on it so far and still going strong!

I always thought a Kubota diesel, like out of a larger Bobcat would be the ticket in a compact pickup. They seem very reliable, I know a guy who is beyond hard on equipment, and his Bobcat runs like a top, with some ungodly # of hours on it. Only thing would be mating it to some sort of trans. I was thinking of a Tremic 5 speed like out of a Mustang. The Tremic was in the Cobras it holds up to more torque than the std 5 spd.

My $.02

hey anybody got any suggestions on what a good diesel engine would be to put in a 1985 ford ranger
You know there are rangers that came with a diesel, I remember which one but buddy has one as a farm truck he pull behind his combine when he is moving it. Been trying to buy it off of him for years. Cool little truck.

You know there are rangers that came with a diesel, I remember which one but buddy has one as a farm truck he pull behind his combine when he is moving it. Been trying to buy it off of him for years. Cool little truck.

in 1984-1988 they put 2.3L diesels in the rangers i want something thought that if i ever want to i can build up

Back