ford ranger diesel

I hear these do miracles for fuel economy!
ampro-exports-lister-8hp-diesel-engine.jpg

i know its a little open ended but i want to see what people have to suggest and give some merit to why they suggested it

how about looking into the used market in japan? i heard they have to replace the motors there at 50k so you can get them fairly cheap..

how about looking into the used market in japan? i heard they have to replace the motors there at 50k so you can get them fairly cheap..

I heard this is an urban legend. The thing is inspection and emissions are stupid expensive in Japan and there and because after 5-10 years they need annual inspections (unlike when they are new they don't need to be inspected every year) so there are alot of incentives to buy new cars and alot of reasons not to hang on to old ones. Or so I have heard

Isuzu 4bdt or mercedes 5 cyl out of sprinter. Even though I am very satisfied with the 4bt in my s10 wish I would have done mercedes or just a 6bt and tunneled the cab.

Why waste your money?

Isuzu 4bdt or mercedes 5 cyl out of sprinter. Even though I am very satisfied with the 4bt in my s10 wish I would have done mercedes or just a 6bt and tunneled the cab.

i was thinking the cummins 4bt but i want to know what else is out there.
and i like my ranger its a classic but i want better fuel econ. and i want a diesel engine in it for that

that look pretty damn cool i was lean on the 4bt but like i said i want to know whats out there and so far from what im getting there aint much. as far as buy a ranger with the 4cylinder diesel in it i want to get better mileage and be about to put performance parts to it

Well its like this. You'll spend 1200-2500 for a running complete 4bt cummins. Then you'll buy a dodge transmission to put behind it. Now as far as power goes, anything you do to motor requires the trans to be beefed up...then you have the tiny azz rear dif in the ranger that will start making babies because it can't handle the torque...oh yeah the trucks frame will twist as well. I think this is the reason others have suggested you find a little truck with a Diesel in it and drive it!

I have seen a 1500 Chevy frame twist from the torque of a 4bt.

Last edited:
Well its like this. You'll spend 1200-2500 for a running complete 4bt cummins. Then you'll buy a dodge transmission to put behind it. Now as far as power goes, anything you do to motor requires the trans to be beefed up...then you have the tiny azz rear dif in the ranger that will start making babies because it can't handle the torque...oh yeah the trucks frame will twist as well. I think this is the reason others have suggested you find a little truck with a Diesel in it and drive it!

I have seen a 1500 Chevy frame twist from the torque of a 4bt.

ive got a trans to put behind a 4bt i have an NV4500 out of a chevy it just requires the cummins bell housing and i have a gm14 bolt cut down for a jeep or the rear and a dana 44 for the front i think that the frame can be reinforced fairly cheap with a mig welder and some scrap steel

Good deal! Now find a cheap 4bt and you'll be set! I wouldn't use any other 4cyl diesel engine unless you want to get a pile of time and money wrapped up in adapters and special parts!

Good deal! Now find a cheap 4bt and you'll be set! I wouldn't use any other 4cyl diesel engine unless you want to get a pile of time and money wrapped up in adapters and special parts!

i just wasnt sure if any other 4cyl diesel would be as good in that ranger like i said im looking for fuel econ really performance is just a bonus cause i cant get to crazy with it if i put it in a ranger

Back