Fresh compounds=high cruising egts and no top end power??

1bad93

that guy
Basically as the title says, I just got all the bugs worked out to were I can drive the truck, and its crusing egts are 600-700 flat ground and any kinda grade anywhere from 1000-1300 depending on the grade. And when you get on the skinny pedal it builds boost extremely fast witch is expected with the small sized turbos but then at full tilt it spike to 50psi and then drops to 40psi and just flat lines. It smokes really bad witch then I set the AFC at about tight as I can and its still pretty bad. And also at full tilt the turbos have a almost fluter sound to them. Any help would be great, I'm new to the twins thing and just trying to learn as I go. I'm almost thinking since my secondary is ungated its trying to do all work? Least that's would makes sense to me. If I had access to another boost i would check out drive pressures but at time being I only have one boost gauge plumed to the intake.
Thanks jon

posted while getting paid.

What size housing is one the secondary? Of its a non-gated 12cm housing with the stock 60mm turbine wheel it's prolly choking it out on top. Cruising temps don't seem too far outta spec, what's boost like when on hills?

What size housing is one the secondary? Of its a non-gated 12cm housing with the stock 60mm turbine wheel it's prolly choking it out on top. Cruising temps don't seem too far outta spec, what's boost like when on hills?

Its a stock hx 35 off a 96 3500 minus the GDS 60mm wheel kit I put on it. So I think that's a 14cm. I think right 10psi going up most hills. I went up a long steep grade at about 15-20psi and it shot straight to 1000 degrees and then slowly just kept creeping. I think it peaked at about 1300 degrees.

Honestly sounds on par to me

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Honestly sounds on par to me

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

This is my first experience with large injectors (had 4x14s now I have these 5x16s) so I'm not really sure what the norm is for egts. But if that's normal then I'll be getting a valet switch mounted up soon, that's a little warm for my blood. I am a slight sissy when it comes to egts tho:banghead:.
jon

Check for boost leaks. I would guess you would be running more boost at full tilt.

Check for boost leaks. I would guess you would be running more boost at full tilt.

That's was my first thought, but their all tight as can be and don't have something that I can pump pressure into the system to truly verify. I'm trying to get my hands on one at the moment.
Jon

That's was my first thought, but their all tight as can be and don't have something that I can pump pressure into the system to truly verify. I'm trying to get my hands on one at the moment.
Jon

You definitely need to get it pressurized to check for leaks. I was amazed at how many spots were leaking on mine once I pressurized it.

Now I know this is probley going to make me sound a little counter productive. But I did notice on fist start up I can see a little soot come from between the secondary and the ex manifold. Now I noticed right as I parked it so I can't say how dramatic it is. But could that be enough to make drive pressure issue?
Jon

Yea it wasn't in my plans to be running my secondary ungated, but the way the pluming is routed its a very tight fit were the cross over tube goes from the primary to the secondary. So the stock diaphragm style gate is a no go. Now if I knew what I do now I would have gotten a steed manifold with an external gate. But I was trying to find a spring style waste gate control for the internal gate, but I can't find one for a hx35. And Jason my timing is set to the head.
Thanks Jon

Last edited:
Skip a tooth and put it about 3/4 to the head and you should be fine.

Also, downshift on hills....5th up a grade will get hot no matter what.

All the egts I was talking about were at 45-50mph in 4th gear. I do also have a 16cm housing on my old h1c sitting in my shop.

You're lifted right? What's your rpm in 4th at 45mph?

You're lifted right? What's your rpm in 4th at 45mph?

I have no clue what rpms its at, I'm not lucky enough to have the Mopar tach. But it has 35in tires with 4.10 gear set and I THINK the getrags are 1:1 in 4th. And yes its 3:01am here in good old PA lol.

to pressure check the system I used a sour cream tub, wedged it on the primary turbo, hose clamped it and drilled a hole in it to where my air chuck fit tight then sprayed the boots and joints with soapy water, the soapy water will bubble where there is a leak, also when you put the boots back on if you do find a leak put hair spray on the boot, it helps seat it better and hold it on better