Fresh compounds=high cruising egts and no top end power??

The way RonA told me was you set the gate to open at 20-25 psi. I know you have a spring style gate on it but if you can get it to open somewhere around in there you should be good.

John

So with that I have a primary PR of 2.16 and a secondary of 2.26. Least that's what I'm getting, and I'm terrible with math.
Jon

posted while getting paid.

The way RonA told me was you set the gate to open at 20-25 psi. I know you have a spring style gate on it but if you can get it to open somewhere around in there you should be good.

John

In that thoery I would almost need a lighter spring that what's on it now. Cause if what my math is saying its making 30ish. Given that's not really telling me when it opens.
Jon

At the same boost level on my 95, I lost 30hp with compounds....so it very well may feel slower. I'd talk to Brad Ponci and see what he says. His daughter's truck is at like 70psi now.

No I didn't check for leak other than just going over all my boots making sure nothing loose. But Jason, wouldn't you think the much larger injectors would over through the loss of driving another turbo?
Jon

So it's slower all the way around? Not just doggy in the bottom and pulls hard up top? Have you tried any adjustments with the star wheel(not sure how much this does on a VE)? I would reccomended tightening the gate, it shouldn't really lower primary boost, but it will raise total boost and force more air in the cylinder.

So it's slower all the way around? Not just doggy in the bottom and pulls hard up top? Have you tried any adjustments with the star wheel(not sure how much this does on a VE)? I would reccomended tightening the gate, it shouldn't really lower primary boost, but it will raise total boost and force more air in the cylinder.

Down low is the same, but up top it feels like the power starts to come in strong then just hits a wall. Like when the primary starts to build boost it gets right around 15lbs and just stops and that were it noses over. Like I said before this is the spring gate as light as possible. So I'm thinking tonight I'll try a couple turns on it and see where it lands me. Star wheel is about as tight as I can get it, and it still smokes too much down low for me.
Jon

Last edited:
What gov spring do you have?

I don't remember if you upgraded your valve springs but you might be floating them.

What gov spring do you have?

I don't remember if you upgraded your valve springs but you might be floating them.

3200rpm given spring, and while I had the head ported and o ringed I put a set of Hamilton 165# valve springs in.
Jon

You could always try some big ass injectors to spin everything harder. With my 5x14s and a 62mm I made 36psi, with 6x16s I made 50psi.

Well new and improved numbers with a different spring in the waste gate I got a best of around 50lbs total, around 20lbs out of the primary And around 50-55lb of drive pressure. It pulls a lot harder that it did but still feels slower up top. I'm gonna check for leaks as soon as I can.
Jon

OK well after a whole ordeal trying to test everything, with some help of a buddy of mine we got it tracked down to a injector tip that wasn't machined right. Seemed like a couple holes weren't the same size. So as of right now I'm borrowing a set of 5x12s and the trucks runs a million times better. Truck struggles to get past 1200 degrees, smoke is basically none. And total boost is around 40 witch is fine because it feels pretty strong while its doing it. But the 70lbs of drive has a touch worried so I still have some tuning to do. But I should have some dyno numbers tomorrow for you guys. Thought I would just up date this thread a little.
Jon