Good Smarty Tunes

Back to saving money, sell the truck, get a 12v for work leave it stock except for the timing, and a beater for commuting.

Just download and try the TNT tunes...

There's no getting rid of the truck, we use it for towing hauling and for taking around clients. Its or nicest truck and our clients are high profile, beaters wouldn't work

yeah sorry, selling the truck isnt an option, yes it is mine but it has a use more than just a daily driver or a work truck.

As the common rails go, 04.5 and up got a little worse mileage than the 03-04. On mine, I got a consistent 21-22 everything stock. Got smarty and as long as I babied it, I got as much as 24... still everything else stock.

I've run just about every smarty tune that Marco released at one time or another. The only real constants I have found is there aren't any. Every tune and every setting seems to behave a little differently on every truck. So you have to play some. What I have found for myself, is that the higher level tunes, (sw 5 and up) do better than the lower ones. Run as high a timing as you are able safely to. My best mileage came on the old Beta 4.4 sw7, which is a hot tune. That is the only tune as well that I have dyno'd that got me more power on sw7 than sw9. Many others though get higher results on sw7 than 9. That said, my best tuning to date (thanks Marco for taking the time with me!) sees sw8 as the highest powered SW. That is for me, others may differ.

I used to switch tunes all the time to get better mileage or better power dependent on my situation. Now I just leave the TNT-R on all the time. And my current mileage is much lower than the 24 I got in the past... big stix do that...

There is significant mileage gains to be made with tires and pressures. What I found was the best compromise was 285/70/17. It improves the gearing enough to drop rpms on the freeway without adding too much in rolling resistance and weight. There is a catch 22 there. The 35's are hurting you.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
I actually came back to say run as much timing as you can, and as much air in the tires as you can without wearing out the middles.

I'm with Rich and Jason. My vehicles get what they get. I don't care.

I actually came back to say run as much timing as you can, and as much air in the tires as you can without wearing out the middles.

I'm with Rich and Jason. My vehicles get what they get. I don't care.

I even drive my TDI like I don't care for milage. :) I still count the mpg for giggles :)

I even drive my TDI like I don't care for milage. :) I still count the mpg for giggles :)
I drive anything the same way. I'll pay a few pennies more to drive what I want how I want.

I do reset my trip odometer every tank, I know about how far a tank I should be able to go. I do it as another way to watch and see if anything is wrong. Goes back to my gasser days, found a bad O2 sensor that way before it threw a light.

I figured the 05 got worse mileage, we had an o4 before and and o4 now and they both get better mileage than mine did stock. It wasnt a lot better but still some. I plan on getting 33's you suggested for more power/mileage and theyre cheaper. Same displaced, I watch my mileage every tank with the trip I caught a leak in my tank after my air dog install, I was losing a lot of fuel and you couldnt notice it unless it was running so i never caught it. soulzoo was the 4.4 beta like the tnt now?

Hmmmm

sw 8. Tq management 1, rail 2, timing 3 feels real nice. lights this 66 real fast

If you are worried about MPG you are in the minority here.

And haven't you heard? Me and Jason are internet badasses!LOL

I guess im partially minority then, oh well haha. And no like i said i still am new here what does being an internet badass entail

I'm not real sure. I just know that's what people with no sense of humor call us when we are mean!LOL

Hope the new tunes work out for ya, and I'd run the timing high. Coming from a 12v guy, that's where we see most of our tuning MPG gains:D