GTI build has started

Post some pictures up of those parts that you're having trouble figureing out - I'm pretty sure they are the rear injection pump bracket that is NEEDED.

Sounds like you have an 02 auto harness? It'll still work. don't use a 99 beetle harness. Use the 02 harness and ecu(012 FD). You'll have to get the wiring diagrams for the GTI and 02 harness to repin the plugs. the 3 water "sensors" are coolant glow plugs. you don't need them - auto cars don't have them.

The "plug/box assembly" must be the transmission computer? again, don't need it but you're gonna have to wire up the clutch switch and some transmission switches, its pretty simple - refer to the bentley wiring diagrams.

Post some pictures up of those parts that you're having trouble figureing out - I'm pretty sure they are the rear injection pump bracket that is NEEDED.

Will do.

Sounds like you have an 02 auto harness? It'll still work. don't use a 99 beetle harness. Use the 02 harness and ecu(012 FD). You'll have to get the wiring diagrams for the GTI and 02 harness to repin the plugs.

Correct. 02 auto harness, auto ecu, and car. 99 5spd with the retarded shifter linkages.

the 3 water "sensors" are coolant glow plugs. you don't need them - auto cars don't have them.

That is excellent to know, thanks.

The "plug/box assembly" must be the transmission computer? again, don't need it but you're gonna have to wire up the clutch switch and some transmission switches, its pretty simple - refer to the bentley wiring diagrams.

The thing I'm talking about is drivers side under cowl, almost in the dash. Has the 5 (in the gasser gti) plugs, and 6 (in the tdi beetle). They are color coded.
For the clutch switch, if it doesn't work, can it be jumped at the plug just to get the car running?

The plug for the auto trans I'm just leaving hanging under the cowl. Eventually all the wiring will get cleaned up/removed, but for now I just need to get it running.

Last edited:
Those are the plenum plugs. you'll have to repin them per wiring diagrams.

You'll also have to move some wires around/add to hook up clutch switch and reverse lights, its not a big deal.

You can swap over a newer 02J shifter tower and shifter setup.

You'll also have to move some wires around/add to hook up clutch switch and reverse lights, its not a big deal.

Here's those parts

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413324786768.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413324786768.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • uploadfromtaptalk1413324799497.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413324799497.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0

So I repin the 5, what about the 6th? Just hard-wire it to wherever its supposed to go?

No idea what that bracket is, never seen it before!

Repinning the plugs will result in the right amount of plugs. You've got a long ways to go not knowing much of anything about VW TDI's at all :)

No idea what that bracket is, never seen it before!

Repinning the plugs will result in the right amount of plugs. You've got a long ways to go not knowing much of anything about VW TDI's at all :)

Ohhh ok. So I might just want to swap in the tdi "body" harness then.

No crap. I'm learning a good bit pretty fast about the engines themselves, but I don't think I'll ever care to know anything about vw's wiring. I said at the beginning this will be my only vw project, ever. I'm standing by that. I love how simplified the cars themselves are, but phuck this wiring.

Also, do you have a picture of that bracket you thought I was talking about? I want to make sure I actually have that now LOL

Last edited:
Thank you for the picture, that is perfect. I knew I got that bracket on, because I never took it off the pump lol. Also I have a friend that loves doing wiring and is helping me merge the two harnesses, and is turning out pretty good. It is kinda funny how different the harnesses are considering how similar everything else is lol. There's definitely going to be a lot of cutting and splicing to merge these harnesses.

Also, official answer: What does that little fuse holder with 3 green fuses on top of the battery actually control?

glow plugs and AC compressor.

If I were doing the wiring for this, I'd strip off all the tape and remove stuff you don't need, and wire in things you do need.

When I made the harness for my Passat I even tapped into various sensors for my DAQ and added sensor plugs right into the harness for oil pressure, exhaust pressure, etc.

glow plugs and AC compressor.

If I were doing the wiring for this, I'd strip off all the tape and remove stuff you don't need, and wire in things you do need.

When I made the harness for my Passat I even tapped into various sensors for my DAQ and added sensor plugs right into the harness for oil pressure, exhaust pressure, etc.
That's what we are doing now. Mostly to get rid of the auto trans stuff after it's running.

Does the ecu need to see glow plugs to allow fuel?

If the ecu is looking for an automatic, do I need to wire in nss or reverse lights? I don't care if those work anyways, so long as it runs.

Glow plugs are not spark plugs, you know this LOL

recode ecu to manual... simple 2 step process -you might as well buy VCDS now if you haven't already.

Glow plugs are not spark plugs, you know this LOL

recode ecu to manual... simple 2 step process -you might as well buy VCDS now if you haven't already.
Lol I know they are not spark plugs, but Volkswagen needs every little thing to run just right or they get finicky. Like one time the car next to me was throwing a code, so my car wouldn't start. I also already have access to vagcom.

Injector washers. Is there any reason to experiment with thickness on these? My current ones are all .095 +/- 1.

Power steering pump. 1.8t pump will swap, then I can use the stock lines. But the 1.8t pump is way smaller than the tdi pump. Does it run less pressure because the gassers typically run more rpm? Or can I run the gasser pump with no harm?

For those who still care, the rest of the trans parts will be in today, went with a better shift weight and linkage ends. I have what I need to get new turbo oil lines made, then I just gotta find someone to set the timing. Then it'll be ready to try to fire. I'm sure there will be wiring issues for days though.

Also, previous owner loaned out the ignition switch to a buddy in an emergency, and the other guy never replaced it, and kinda left the entire dash/steering column dissembled. So instead of having 2 keys for the car, I'm going to keep the key for the doors, and make everything that goes through the ignition run through a switch, and push button start.

Last edited:
Back