GTI build has started

Awesome numbers, but proof of what? LOL Why'd you start the run so late? I'm curious if torque could have been higher.

Awesome numbers, but proof of what? LOL Why'd you start the run so late? I'm curious if torque could have been higher.

Iirc someone asked for proof that he was over 400bhp earlier in the thread, and he is almost 400whp...

Oh gotcha.

Also, I'm running a gasser power steering pump, hope it works.
Swapped to the 02J shift tower and linkage ends. I love it.
Haven't re-pinned anything yet, as it seems its all for stuff I wont be running. I'm still hoping none of it will cause limp or no start. I'm not sure how the nss wiring will effect it as I'm using a push button start.

JFettig, I will be getting ahold of you about tuning with edc. I'll need a crash course.

Cool build man. Keep it up. I just bought a 2000 jetta. I'd like to make 200 hp with it eventually not sure how reasonable that is on stock rotating assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool build man. Keep it up. I just bought a 2000 jetta. I'd like to make 200 hp with it eventually not sure how reasonable that is on stock rotating assembly.

The "magic" number I've heard for alh is 180, or 200 if you tune out tq and rev higher. Better rods will fix that.

The "magic" number I've heard for alh is 180, or 200 if you tune out tq and rev higher. Better rods will fix that.

It will probably end up like my trucks. Modify to the point of breakage. Then build it stronger. Lol

lol I'm trying to do this one right the first time. Money is killer trying to build 5 things at once.

Yea I had 5 trucks at once, just sold a couple and bought this car. I got plenty of projects to say the least. I don't want to get to stupid with this car. Make it look cool and a solid 150-200 hp will prolly have to do.

Showing my lack of play time in the vw world, I just learned there are some "new" (to me anyways) lifters that will let me gain a lot more rpm. Should go nice with the springs. All I have to do is find them.

Also, I'm assuming you run a 6spd? Anything special?

I was just using a modified 02A 4spd.The torque was not too high as the turbo's were quite large (GT35/GT40) and the "A" pump was not cut out to keep fueling on at higher rpm.Horsepower wins the race !

The injection pump keeps clicking like a machine gun. Any idea why?

Edit: fuel solenoid. But why?

Last edited:
I really hate German wiring. Vcds says no response from any controller, but can read abs controller....

Jumped the solenoid and got fuel to injectors, but learned there's another little motor in the pump that controls fuel. So that's probably why it won't fire. Double checked timing, everything is still tdc. No smoke of any kind from the exhaust while cranking.

I'm at a loss until I can figure out this wiring.

Last edited:
Just figured out what everyone meant by 109 relay. This car is missing a few relays.

109 controls the whole car I guess.

78fd45e29355b2f1201af1d759133f03.jpg

401f5f50e2ed598fc65eab1e18ea1b3c.jpg

I think I got it figured out.

There are 5 plugs that go into the cowl on the gas cars, and 6 on the tdi's. That 6th plug must contain the wiring for the "109" relay in spot 12?

If thats the case, can I just get the diagram (wish me luck in the 6000 page mess they call a service manual) and wire all those wires to a switch instead of a relay? Then I'd have a master ignition switch, and a master power switch.

Or can I just pull the wires from that extra plug, and pin/plug them into the other 5 plugs? The switch would be easiest if I can find that pinout.

I seem to recall someone saying something earlier about those plugs, if this is what you were referring to, I apologize. I'm still a virgin thats balls deep into this vw stuff, so the learning is coming quicker than I can absorb it sometimes.

Back