Half ton Cummins

Somebody buy this danged thing. I look at it like 10 times a day. Wish it was painted red so i hated it.

If I thought I could get anything out of my first gen with your engine and tranny in it(modified for 4wd of course) I'd love to put my 6.7 and tranny in that one.

Any issues with the rear end or things you might change? I'm putting together a list to freshen up the axle in the gf's 1/2 ton 12v. I have faith in the 9.25

Nope no complaints here just a four link or traction bars buts it has plenty for romping on the street. email replied to kick start

The 9.25 is weak. And eventually you will break it. QUOTE]

Agreed it will be fine on the street but if you "hook it up" too many times at the track it will fail. Funny thing is that was a popular rear end on muscle cars but they did and do not have the torque.

The 9.25 is weak. And eventually you will break it.

Agreed it will be fine on the street but if you "hook it up" too many times at the track it will fail. Funny thing is that was a popular rear end on muscle cars but they did and do not have the torque.

Weak due to spline count or the fact that its a c clip axle? Maybe something else?

How much weaker than a Ford 9"?

I'm thinking increased spline count, cryo'd ring, pinion, axle shafts, and a locker of some kind.

Weak due to spline count or the fact that its a c clip axle? Maybe something else?

How much weaker than a Ford 9"?

I'm thinking increased spline count, cryo'd ring, pinion, axle shafts, and a locker of some kind.

It's Ford 9" weak in all aspects.
You can "upgrade" it all you want, you still end up with a POS Gasser axle, with a light duty housing.
It really wasn't a Heavy Duty axle in the first place.

I mean, the 9-1/4 started out as a 1970s Mopar fullsize CAR axle!

Mark.

I'm waiting on some under hood pictures to see if there's room for my turbos and a hydoboost unit, along with a quote for getting the back of the frame cut off and a 4 link link setup built. I'm guessing it will turn it into a $20k truck even before swapping engines, and transmissions. I have got to quit looking at this thing.

This probably isn't really the proper place to talk about this, but...

A "usable" alternative is a 1966-1969 Ford Dana 60 from a 1/2 ton.
Kinda' "rare" and they use a 5 on 5.5" inch BC, but you could always redrill.
They have at least a 3/8" thick tube and could take the torque, though you'd still pound the gears out over time.
Downside is they only had 30 spline ales, upside is, if they are the original configuration, they are ALWAYS power lock differentials.

In truth, you COULD go tapered roller conversion (same design as the axle I mentioned above) on a D-70 and run custom-built 1-piece axles with whatever spline count and bolt circle your heart desires.
This last would be the most durable option (IMO).

Mark.

My plan on this truck was to use the 9.25 until I trashed it, then I had a Dana 70 sitting in the wings ready to go in. I wanted to keep the 1/2 Ton Lug pattern vs. the 8 lug as long as I could.

Back