havein problems with dd clutch

when you go through 8 clutchs........your doing it wrong

what is breaking on the clutches? they just arent working anymore, or are springs falling out of them, are the faces burned........

pad and pp.
I assume this is in answer to OrangeNV. So the pad is the friction material and pp is the pressure plate? What is actually happening to these parts?

Pad and pp means what? Little help here give some detail man.

And how exactly did you get 8 clutches warrantied? That sounds like crazy talk right there.

^^ i dont think he wants to explain because we will know the truth.....

sbc is not going to send out 8 bad discs and pressure plates in a row

With 37s what gears do you have? What gear do you take off in? Do you even touch the skinny pedal while taking off? Do you get back on it while shifting? You've got to be slipping the crap out of it to eat the friction material and or trashing the disks. I'm betting you might know how to drive a gas manual but I'm betting you know nothing about driving a cummins with a manual behind it. Especially with 37s.

I've done stuff with and to my truck that leave people scratching there heads and not once have I trashed a clutch.

And if it's going from mid pedal to realy high you are warping something! Also are you trying to adjust it when it's to high?

Dan has a saying " I was just pulling my church trailer flat ground at idle when the clutch went/input shaft broke, or something along those lines". Theres always more to the story. This place is not a good one to say I'm driven like a grandpa but still burning up clutches. To many people actually know what's goin on and how it happens. The guys on diesel bombers may jump on the band wagon but I bet that ain't the case here!

the friction material is brakin off and either the spring or lever will break on pressure plate. and i adjust the pedal when its needed. if i was drivin crazy racin, pullin people, and doin burn outs i wouldnt be askin for help.

You still didnt answer my question. Did you take the washer out from behind the pivot ball?

the friction material is brakin off and either the spring or lever will break on pressure plate. and i adjust the pedal when its needed. if i was drivin crazy racin, pullin people, and doin burn outs i wouldnt be askin for help.

If the friction is breaking off you have some extreme heat issues.

if the material is breaking off, its getting extreemly hot from slipping. pull the slave and make sure it moves back and forth freely, if its tight, this is could be your problem. Surely your installer is checking this. you also could have a hanging slave, groove in the retainer causing the bearing to stick..... but seems like you would know when its slipping, so when is it slipping?

I have a southbend dual disc as well, and mine took no lie about 1,000-1,2000 miles before it finally took a set. After I installed it it would slip at half throttle. You have alot of horses, about 300hp more than me if you have 900.. your clutches could take 1500 miles or better to properly set in. It really sucks, I know, trying to wait for that dang thing to break in. Could it be just a lack of letting it break in properly you think? either that or is your hydrolics for your clutch getting weak maybe and not getting enough pressure to the pressure plates?

if the material is breaking off, its getting extreemly hot from slipping. pull the slave and make sure it moves back and forth freely, if its tight, this is could be your problem. Surely your installer is checking this. you also could have a hanging slave, groove in the retainer causing the bearing to stick..... but seems like you would know when its slipping, so when is it slipping?[/QUOTno slipping. i only drive at 450 500 everyday. do u thank starting off in 2nd could be causing this?

I have a southbend dual disc as well, and mine took no lie about 1,000-1,2000 miles before it finally took a set. After I installed it it would slip at half throttle. You have alot of horses, about 300hp more than me if you have 900.. your clutches could take 1500 miles or better to properly set in. It really sucks, I know, trying to wait for that dang thing to break in. Could it be just a lack of letting it break in properly you think? either that or is your hydrolics for your clutch getting weak maybe and not getting enough pressure to the pressure plates?
i thought the hydrolics could be it so i installed a new one myself and it didnt fix. im starting to get a weird noise from the clutch when its starts to engage its like a binding squill noise.

Last edited:
^^ in his original post he said he now has the "COMP" DD

sounds like your the type of guy who can destroy anything they drive, i have a buddy that swears he doesnt beat his vehicles.....but his normal driving style is our beating style.

the pivot ball that the passenger side of the throw out bearing fork sits on.....its a stud with a washer under it, remove it and take the washer out. this gives the throwout bearing more clearance and wont "ride" of the clutch fingers

Last edited:
Back