HE351VE on a 12 valve

do you happen to have a picture, or the ability to take a picture of this?

i never noticed this on mine...

IMAG0014.jpg

Its the little silver plug...

Someone obviously drilled and tapped the housing for it.

yea mine does not have that. i wonder if this is something that the dealers started doing to try to keep them from freezing up and ruining the controller?

i see that you didn't plug up the water jackets, i don't plan on doing that either unless it is necessary, and i don't see why it would be.

the dealer did that to see if they could free up the stuck vgt and see if it was a cheap fix instead of putting a new turbo on :umno:

Sorry... been rather busy with work. I'll work on it this coming weekend and post up some pics of some welded pipe!

yea mine does not have that. i wonder if this is something that the dealers started doing to try to keep them from freezing up and ruining the controller?

i see that you didn't plug up the water jackets, i don't plan on doing that either unless it is necessary, and i don't see why it would be.

if yours was an early warranty job, they used to just yank them and replace them

if yours was an early warranty job, they used to just yank them and replace them

thats what i figured.

my exhaust parts should be at home this weekend so i'll be able to finish this project up! got the intercooler pipe built this weekend (a temporary one), and ordered some couplers and clamps. I'll start a new thread when i get it all together with a few pics for some criticism!

is the length of the lever much of a deal with making the actuator work?

In my experience it seems to help smooth out the transition as the housing opens... Otherwise it opens too fast and boost/drive pressure (depending on what you're using to control it) dips and makes it shut again, it will do this a few times before settling down. But that is just my personal experience with my 451, not sure how finicky the 351s are with their smaller housing.

In my experience it seems to help smooth out the transition as the housing opens... Otherwise it opens too fast and boost/drive pressure (depending on what you're using to control it) dips and makes it shut again, it will do this a few times before settling down. But that is just my personal experience with my 451, not sure how finicky the 351s are with their smaller housing.

i don't have an issue with my 351. it also doesn't bark when i let off the throttle either; however, the rpms on a CR take a lot longer to come down with the rail pressure being so high.

i don't have an issue with my 351. it also doesn't bark when i let off the throttle either; however, the rpms on a CR take a lot longer to come down with the rail pressure being so high.

See, I didn't think the 351 would be as finicky as the 451, I didn't extend mine much and I can see it surge a couple times when I send it into EB, though it opens really smooth under load... Just EB surges a little, but I plan to remedy that eventually due to the fact that it also regulates my DP to only 12psi or so, I figure some sort of electric shut off valve in line to the actuator, but not before the line going to my DP gauge so I can make sure it doesn't go over 50psi, will eliminate the surge.

Fact is I shot a video of how smooth my housing opens on the dyno...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHmrT0GgTcA

Also shows how clean it was while laying down 402/860 corrected (422/903 uncorrected) :rockwoot:

Rail pressure isn't what causes the prolonged rev in the common rails. It's a software/calibration error.

Since the injectors are electronically fired they should not be adding any fuel when the engine is in DFCO. (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) No pulses, no injection, no gain in RPM.

You can watch a GM calibrated ECM with EFILive and when you chop the throttle the pulse width goes to 0 and rail pressure will spike, but if the pulse width stays at 0 uS then you aren't having injections. They don't do the "infini-rev" like the CR's do.

I'm sure EFILive will find a way to fix it this summer.

Rail pressure isn't what causes the prolonged rev in the common rails. It's a software/calibration error.

Since the injectors are electronically fired they should not be adding any fuel when the engine is in DFCO. (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off) No pulses, no injection, no gain in RPM.

You can watch a GM calibrated ECM with EFILive and when you chop the throttle the pulse width goes to 0 and rail pressure will spike, but if the pulse width stays at 0 uS then you aren't having injections. They don't do the "infini-rev" like the CR's do.

I'm sure EFILive will find a way to fix it this summer.

hmm, i didn't know that! i always thought it was rail pressure bleeding off.. the manual guys complain of the rpms hanging between shifts. i had a 24v manual and a 12v auto...both were too easy to bark the turbo since the throttle comes down real quick.

maybe dodge purposely programmed the ECM to be that way?

I don't think its a programing error, I think it was programed that way on purpose to keep the turbo from barking. I have a Honda CX-650 Turbo motor cycle and it uses read valves to keep the turbo from barking when the throttle is closed suddenly.

Yes...

I have built the down-pipe, intercooler pipe, compressor discharge, and I am now waiting for a lull in the action to build an intake for the HX52.

I will post some pictures of the finished project..... The intermediate steps are nothing of interest....basically some mandrel bends and me hitting them with various sizes of hammers.

LOL

I don't think its a programing error, I think it was programed that way on purpose to keep the turbo from barking. I have a Honda CX-650 Turbo motor cycle and it uses read valves to keep the turbo from barking when the throttle is closed suddenly.

I doubt they'd program in a 3 second over-rev. None of the other brands do that. Plus the stock chargers with stock programming don't bark much.