HE351VE on a 12 valve

After tinkering and tinkering with the spring tension and talking with a new friend, I was able to get it to respond much better. After the suggestion of not having the fueling to spool the turbo when the housing size increases we figured we have to keep it closed longer. Having that said i adjusted te spring tension from 30psi to full open up to 50psi to full open. Ill drive it on the main roads tomorrow and see how it really does.

50psi on the bench?

like i said mine opens around 20psi on the truck. i limited the top end of the turbo to 35psi (smarty tnt #3 only pushes about 37psi fully opened anyways)

is that 6.7 manifold going to change the sound of the exhaust much?

it'll sound like a typical 3rd gen with the different sound of the vgt. the vgt is quiet enough so you may not notice much of a difference compared to a 2nd gen exhaust manifold.

The 6.7 manifold will bolt up to a 24v head. Round ports...

12 valves have square ports

yes, 50psi on the bench, and on the truck. That adjustment didnt work. Now what i did was disconnected the air cylinder and lucked the lever down to find the right spot to start it at. Leaving it locked down i am able to produce 40psi. But it is winding out. Obviously because the collar is not moving. So.... Now i am out to set mine like yours sooter, not let it move till 25psi and set it so it can only go so far. Other than that, now that it is working correctly my temps are all down and over all i am happy with it. cant wait to get it tuned in......

yes, 50psi on the bench, and on the truck. That adjustment didnt work. Now what i did was disconnected the air cylinder and lucked the lever down to find the right spot to start it at. Leaving it locked down i am able to produce 40psi. But it is winding out. Obviously because the collar is not moving. So.... Now i am out to set mine like yours sooter, not let it move till 25psi and set it so it can only go so far. Other than that, now that it is working correctly my temps are all down and over all i am happy with it. cant wait to get it tuned in......

hey man if you want some pics i'll take some for you. i haven't totally finished it up (i have a cover i built but need to paint, drill holes etc.). been too busy which is a good thing. i want to get some vids up; i need to borrow my friends' camera again

hey man if you want some pics i'll take some for you. i haven't totally finished it up (i have a cover i built but need to paint, drill holes etc.). been too busy which is a good thing. i want to get some vids up; i need to borrow my friends' camera again

I dont know that i 'need' to see pictures, but when you get a chance i would like to see them. Always good to get other ideas. Im pretty confident in my setup, its just putting the right springs on it. I ran and got some tight, 12.5# work load springs and put them on there. Im feeling pretty good about it now. the lever moves very very very little until i get 20psi and even then it loves very slow. I will see what it does when i go to work tomorrow.

Well, I think I finally got it. It's a little laggy off the line, about the same as the other turbo, but when it lites, it lites.....I put a 12.5# spring on it, so the lever doesnt even start to move until 15psi, and then it doesn't move very far. I'm seeing a little more than 30psi, which, I dont think is bad since i have no programmer. EGT's are back check. It runs a little hotter on acceleration, but cruising it is about 50* cooler and I cant get it over 1250* no matter how hard i try. I definitely like it more than the other. Now all I need is to add the on board air to make the exhaust brake work.

Turbo is on and in running condition :rockwoot:

One issue to address upon initial fire-up.... turns out the hx-40 flange i got was warped from the "get-go" or I warped it upon welding. Anyways, I filed it true, draw file method FTW!

Initial impressions are good for the most part.

Boost at idle is 1.5#'s w/ 5lbs drive pressure. Boost comes up instantly.

Boost comes up too quickly honestly. I have to re-tune my AFC nowLOL

Pressure rise is quick enough to shove the AFC foot forward much too soon:st:

I would like to thank Levi for making a fine product, the turbo blanket makes this project possible:ft:

Without it everything would be a nice melty mess...

IMG_3905.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_3906.jpg
[/IMG]

And with the intake and heat blanket:

IMG_3907.jpg
[/IMG]

I mounted it way up high, as the future lends itself to twins once I grow tired of this single VGT business...

That is all.

Looks great. Awesome job.

Thanks! Its about time i post some progress on this stupid thing... The original post on this particular project was some seven months ago:bang

Now I have to rig up a hill-billy contraption (my father's words, not mine) to actuate the exhaust brake.

It will require the addition of an on-board air compressor and a secondary pneumatic actuator. I happen to have the latter of the two:)

That is for another time, as tuning is needed to get this pig to run at my satisfaction level.

I may or may not return with news:hehe:

Looks good man! Glad to see you got it on. Go drive it some and tell us what you think.

Of course video would be best! haha

Eric

Nice work! Of course now you will have to report back after a couple weeks of driving to tell us how it drives.

I will tell you this about it...

Pulling up to a stoplight and waiting for the light to turn is not boring anymore, as my ears are graced with a turbo whistling along making 1.5#'s of boost :)

I have to get the fueling tuned to this turbo, it is too much too soon in the fuel department.

I will tell you this about it...

Pulling up to a stoplight and waiting for the light to turn is not boring anymore, as my ears are graced with a turbo whistling along making 1.5#'s of boost :)

I have to get the fueling tuned to this turbo, it is too much too soon in the fuel department.

Good to see you finally got it going. Maybe do the AFC mods and put a stock governor spring in there. I definitely noticed the same problem with too much too soon on fuel while in Colorado Springs... But I did the AFC mods without switching springs, meaning my spring has no tension on it until about the middle of the hole :bang

You left the silencer ring in??? :poke: Cruising through town at 35-40mph in 3rd lockup is pretty neat sounding in my truck. I like how it sounds spooling and slowly coming back down as I ease in and out of the throttle to maintain speed :rockwoot:

I thought u were going to use the 6.7 manifold? forgot the 12v had square ports my bad.

You left the silencer ring in??? :poke:

they're saying on the 6.7's that they're losing like 30-40hp when pulling the silencer ring.

i kept mine in because it was so loud on my stock he341 (much louder than an hx35) that it gave me headaches towing everyday.