HE351VE on a 12 valve

they're saying on the 6.7's that they're losing like 30-40hp when pulling the silencer ring.

i kept mine in because it was so loud on my stock he341 (much louder than an hx35) that it gave me headaches towing everyday.

Hahaha yeah, mine is louder than he** too, especially when towing. That's strange that they are losing that much, I haven't looked at the covers on the 351, but the 451 has really nice secondary air openings. Maybe I should toss mine back in for fun and see how it acts :Cheer:

Hahaha yeah, mine is louder than he** too, especially when towing. That's strange that they are losing that much, I haven't looked at the covers on the 351, but the 451 has really nice secondary air openings. Maybe I should toss mine back in for fun and see how it acts :Cheer:

Exactly!!!!

road trips w/ the hx35 and no silencer ring was dumb. This is much better. Whistles out the exhaust pipe pretty good though:) almost like a 6 leaker.....

almost

i just tightened my low end up tonight and it whistles a lot more out of the exhaust (and spools up quicker). i had to decrease my torque management so the fueling would keep up with the boost. turbos aren't suppose to light that quick....:rockwoot:

on a side note my 2 past trucks with hx35s were no way near as loud compressor whine-wise as my he341...i think some of it has to do with the extended compressor tip and the other my 6" willy's whistler intake. friends with straight piped trucks could hear me while they're 500ft ahead of me doing 70mph down the turnpike every time i got onto the throttle. it's great around town but towing at 20psi and having a headache (usually from dehydration being a landscaper) would aggrivate the hell out of me.

Last edited:
I put a he351ve on my 98 wit an adaptor and k&n air filter,
my bro welded the same turbo straight to th manifold, and used a bhaf filter.
His' is way quiter, almost no turbo whine? Could it be th adapter causing it?

Other wise loving it!

Exactly!!!!

road trips w/ the hx35 and no silencer ring was dumb. This is much better. Whistles out the exhaust pipe pretty good though:) almost like a 6 leaker.....

almost

I guess I'm just one of those people that will never tire of a good loud turbo whine, or maybe I'm just young and dumb :hehe:

i just tightened my low end up tonight and it whistles a lot more out of the exhaust (and spools up quicker). i had to decrease my torque management so the fueling would keep up with the boost. turbos aren't suppose to light that quick....:rockwoot:

on a side note my 2 past trucks with hx35s were no way near as loud compressor whine-wise as my he341...i think some of it has to do with the extended compressor tip and the other my 6" willy's whistler intake. friends with straight piped trucks could hear me while they're 500ft ahead of me doing 70mph down the turnpike every time i got onto the throttle. it's great around town but towing at 20psi and having a headache (usually from dehydration being a landscaper) would aggrivate the hell out of me.

I know my friends can hear me behind them while they're in their straight piped gas trucks... And that's with me not having to get in it to keep up :kick:

I know what you mean by turbos aren't supposed to light that quick, even my 451 with the 74mm turbine wheel spools ridiculously fast :rockwoot:

You made me buy one of those red turbos too... :)
Can't wait to get it on
so what's the difference between th he351 and he451 talking wheelsize?

Good to see you finally got it going. Maybe do the AFC mods and put a stock governor spring in there. I definitely noticed the same problem with too much too soon on fuel while in Colorado Springs... But I did the AFC mods without switching springs, meaning my spring has no tension on it until about the middle of the hole :bang

AFC is fully done up. gov spring, ground barrel, added washers, etc, etc.

I just needed to slide the AFC housing back a touch to take the bottom end smoke out of it, and tighten up the spring a touch....

I have the VGT opening up at around 25psi. I hit that this afternoon getting on the highway, and drive pressure dropped from ~30psi to 10! I adjusted it to open up around 30psi now and I'll see how the drive pressure response is then. I may have to build a backstop for the arm if it opens up too much for my tastes. I'm rather picky.:kick:

I may have to build a backstop for the arm if it opens up too much for my tastes. I'm rather picky.:kick:

that's what i did but merely welding a nut to a small bracket. then stuck a bolt and locknut in it to adjust total boost. fully open i can make 32ish psi but i've closed it to 35,36psi.

you noticed how you have mixture of a cummins exhaust and a VGT duramax exhaust sound? kinda cool/different

that's what i did but merely welding a nut to a small bracket. then stuck a bolt and locknut in it to adjust total boost. fully open i can make 32ish psi but i've closed it to 35,36psi.

you noticed how you have mixture of a cummins exhaust and a VGT duramax exhaust sound? kinda cool/different

That's what I did with mine too, made a big difference too. Went from 34psi to 45+psi and 300*+ reduction in EGT's

AFC is fully done up. gov spring, ground barrel, added washers, etc, etc.

I just needed to slide the AFC housing back a touch to take the bottom end smoke out of it, and tighten up the spring a touch....

I have the VGT opening up at around 25psi. I hit that this afternoon getting on the highway, and drive pressure dropped from ~30psi to 10! I adjusted it to open up around 30psi now and I'll see how the drive pressure response is then. I may have to build a backstop for the arm if it opens up too much for my tastes. I'm rather picky.:kick:

A back stop probably isn't such a bad idea... Maybe if the drive pressure and boost is too high you can use a stiff spring as a backstop??? As it tries to over boost it presses on the spring and opens a litte keeping the boost down:poke:

You made me buy one of those red turbos too... :)
Can't wait to get it on
so what's the difference between th he351 and he451 talking wheelsize?

Hahaha yeah, I kinda like my red one too. It's definitely different :Cheer:

Measurements are as follows:

351:
Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 85mm

Turbine
IND 70mm
EXD 60mm

451:
Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 90mm

Turbine
IND 74mm
EXD 60mm

So as you can see, it's mostly trim on the wheels with the 400 series being a little more efficient. Also, the compressor wheel on the 400 seem to be a bit taller than the 300s and considerably taller than the old style HX wheels. The compressor cover also doesn't have that goofy 90* turn in it and is compatible with the stock clamp on elbow with a little work (the lip is a little too thick for the clamp). I have also noticed that the compressor cover also is a little bigger, both in diameter and thickness. Not big differences, but I think they are important ones as far as efficiency goes IMO.

Measurements are as follows:

351:
Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 85mm

Turbine
IND 70mm
EXD 60mm

451:
Comp
IND 60mm
EXD 90mm

Turbine
IND 74mm
EXD 60mm

Im pretty sure the compressor exducer on the HE351 is 88mm, but I could be wrong? I know for sure the exducer on the turbine is 58mm on the HE351cw. Im not sure if the VE is the same or not.

Eric

That's what I did with mine too, made a big difference too. Went from 34psi to 45+psi and 300*+ reduction in EGT's

A back stop probably isn't such a bad idea... Maybe if the drive pressure and boost is too high you can use a stiff spring as a backstop??? As it tries to over boost it presses on the spring and opens a litte keeping the boost down:poke:

I am just going to make a stop out of a piece of 0.5"x0.5" key stock I have laying around. Just one more little doo-dad to mess with:rockwoot:

Im pretty sure the compressor exducer on the HE351 is 88mm, but I could be wrong? I know for sure the exducer on the turbine is 58mm on the HE351cw. Im not sure if the VE is the same or not.

Eric

That's what I had read somewhere too... But, I've seen a couple now and calipers were involved :Cheer:

What is the inducer measurement on the cw turbine wheel?

so i have one of these turbos, is it worth the hassel to cange it out on my 98 tow rig??

That's what I had read somewhere too... But, I've seen a couple now and calipers were involved :Cheer:

What is the inducer measurement on the cw turbine wheel?

Im not sure what the inducer on the turbine wheel is. I think i read it somewhere but i forget what it was.

I wish I had measured both wheels on mine just so I could be sure, but I didnt put the calipers on any of it when i had it apart because i was more worried about getting it on the truck at that point.

So what were your readings on it? I have heard 60/88 on the compressor wheel, and 58/?? on the turbine, but would like to know for sure since i didnt measure mine.

I dont guess it matter a lot since i am really happy with how it performs, I just would like to know.

Eric

so i have one of these turbos, is it worth the hassel to cange it out on my 98 tow rig??

What charger are you running right now? I havent towed heavy with my HE351cw yet, but at my HP level, judging by the way it cools and spools just driving, I think it would be a great towing charger. Im sure the HE351ve would be the same.

Eric

What charger are you running right now? I havent towed heavy with my HE351cw yet, but at my HP level, judging by the way it cools and spools just driving, I think it would be a great towing charger. Im sure the HE351ve would be the same.

Eric

i believe the he351ve will be better above 600hp as cumminscowboy is close to 700hp on his 6.7 twins (stocker/s400). the he351cw is too restrictive with that 9cm housing causing drive pressure to get too high when pushing close to 600hp in a twins set

I am assuming your tow rig isn't the 98 listed in your sig... If you are running a stocker, then yes, both the cw and ve chargers are worth it IMO. My 451 is performing nicely, it keeps EGTs in check while towing ~12k even in OD on the highway.

Im not sure what the inducer on the turbine wheel is. I think i read it somewhere but i forget what it was.

I wish I had measured both wheels on mine just so I could be sure, but I didnt put the calipers on any of it when i had it apart because i was more worried about getting it on the truck at that point.

So what were your readings on it? I have heard 60/88 on the compressor wheel, and 58/?? on the turbine, but would like to know for sure since i didnt measure mine.

I dont guess it matter a lot since i am really happy with how it performs, I just would like to know.

Eric

I know what you mean when you said you were more worried about getting it ON the truck. The ve is 60/85 and 70/60 like I said before. But that's not to say that the cw isn't a little different. Maybe it does have the lower trim on both the comp and turbine wheels, I haven't seen a cw personally so I wouldn't know.

IMG_3721.jpg
[/IMG]

I made that little black thing b/w the turbo and the manifold.

Flanges came from MC motorsports. They have an E-bay store

I was thinking of something like the following, but with 4 studs in the adapter, but i'm not sure that will work with the manifold or turbo.

t3toveadapterflange.jpg