Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

dzlfarmboy said:
Ahh Decisions Decisions?
Go with the Helix 2 Brett, works for me. Really can't say that I've seen much reduction in egts though.

in all reality, the stock cams does just fine, but i wanted more so i chose the maxspool, mainly because greg responds quickly and accuratly with a wealth of knowledge that very few accually have. i noticed an egt drop and a boost drop, along with better spooling---hence the name!

COMP461 said:

The stock Cummins core is cast steel and has induction heat treat deep in the core. We have goon as far as .250 off the base circle and the hardness as measured on the Rockwell C scale is still harder then a cast iron or chill iron aftermarket core. It’s amazing how well Cummins engineers their parts.

:umno:

The stock Cummins casting is a softy. Quickly after you begin to grind away the lobe you can run into trouble. Our casting is up to 61 RC AFTER grinding. Never below 58. I have measured several stock Cummins cams after grinding a new centerline in the RC 40 range. Thats unacceptable, IMO.

COMPY I hate to tell ya this, but the Cummins B cam is made from chilled Ductile Cast Iron, NOT cast steel. You have been incorrectly telling people this for a long time. Chilled ductile iron castings are NOT induction hardened either. Just another fact you keep getting wrong. The molten metal is poured into a chilled mold and this is what gives the cam lobe its hardness, but leaves the innner core softer and more ductile. Typically it is spec hard 3mm's deep, after grinding. I have watched the foundry when they manufacture our blanks and observed the hardness testing as more material is removed. If you want to keep a hardness level in the 60 range, you dont grind away much. You simply design your chilled mold to near net shape or as close as possible to what your final lobe will be.

Part of knowing where to go is knowing where you are to start with. Knowing the material you are working with is a great starting place. When you design a part from the ground up you cant help but understand every aspect of what you are building. On the other side of the circle a guy who has been borrowing and not putting in the time will always be partially informed on what he is workign with. Having others do your homework is an inexpensive and fast way to get a part on the shelf, but...........

Rods said:
I guess the gasser thinking is way off ? You know jim how a little ford likes a 112 to 114 LCA when coupled with a power adder to help get them going , least mine was with a F cam and a T70

Yep that is what I said, the gasser thinking is gone on our motors. Some even run the centerline down further and it works well.

A stock cam is not bad by any means, if I can make 640 on #2 with a single and 850 on gas it can't be too bad. Having said that I would like to run a different cam in due time, by my other truck has my full attention now!

Jim

Somebody just send a peice of or a whole stock cam. I can find out how hard it is and what it is made from. This pissing match is getting old. How about some answers.*bdh*

JOHNBOY said:
Somebody just send a peice of or a whole stock cam. I can find out how hard it is and what it is made from. This pissing match is getting old. How about some answers.*bdh*
Member Rods has a few of my stock pieces. PM him and he may have the extra I sent him.

Soup Nazi said:
There is no pissing contest on what the Cummins stock camshaft is made from. It is in FACT a Chilled Ductile Iron casting, not induction hardened.

check the linkee. Still not enough? Trust me. lol

http://www.search-autoparts.com/sea...PJy2WjFqc2QgPk7bynzQ8hmkz!-922983611?id=29483

Looks like one to me! LOL:hehe:

Being that I don't own a Dodge or product from either party I figured I would be a good unbiased person to test the materail. Where I work we can test the materail for hardness and composition among other things.

Not attacking your or Compy!:cheer:
Just wanting the truth!$.02

Yeah I got them , I was going to send the 24v to LSM and for 150$ have it reground ..

COMP461 said:
YOUR WRONG

HA!!! You are a FOOL Comp. Read the link, or go pick up ANY thermodynamics book. You sound like an idiot calling a diesel engine an otto cycle.

Oh, and by the way, it's "You're wrong". "You're" is the contraction for "You are". "Your" is a possesive pronoun. Incorrect English.

Today Internal combustion engines in cars, trucks, motorcycles, construction machinery and many others, most commonly use a four-stroke cycle. The four strokes refer to intake, compression, combustion and exhaust strokes that occur during two crankshaft rotations per working cycle of Otto Cycle and Diesel engines.

Signal 73 said:
Question for Don M:

We only need to look at some of the fastest 12V trucks running around the drag strip to see that stock cams are super. Of course the fastest VP44 and CR engines are using an aftermarket cam. The H2.

Don is there not really the need for a cam in the 12V? Wonder if you can elaborate on the above quote? Thnx, Jim
Ya, its a pissin match when ya reply to a basher and dont to a potential customer:badidea:

Last edited:
Yeah... A "Four Cycle" (Intake, Compression, Power, Exhaust... or otherwise known as "Suck, squeeze, bang, blow") can be EITHER a Diesel or Otto cycle.

A Diesel's P-V (pressure volume) curve is characterised by constant pressure heat addition versus the Otto cycle's contstant volume heat addition. Two entirely different systems. I'm sure you learned that in all the engineering school, right?

You're digging a hole.

otto cycle diesels have been around for years, the difference looks to be the intake and exhaust timing, JMO

DIESEL POWER said:
otto cycle diesels have been around for years, the difference looks to be the intake and exhaust timing, JMO

Bigfoot's "been around" for a lot of years, too, but in reality some things just don't exist. This is one of them.

Back