Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

Soup Nazi said:
I dont know how you get lead around by your nose so easily, but your cam grinder is WRONG!!!.

Firstly, there is no such thing as cast nodular steel COMP. It does not exist.

Well a 3 second google search says otherwise..

Scat appearently has a 9000 series crank that's made from "cast nodular steel"
Eagle also makes a "cast nodular steel" crank.
US Gear manufactures some sort of gear case out of "cast nodular steel".
And a company called PreciseCast can appearently "cast nodular steel" pieces for customers with a 5 day turn around.. Maybe you should call them to get some "cast nodular steel" blanks...??

It seems ALOT of people are selling "cast nodular steel" products.. That would be hard to do if it didn't exist..:hehe:

Brad

dzlfarmboy said:
Well since this is my thread im gonna ask, alot of the guys are on the fence about what cam they want and when they might be curious or not knowing about something and have a question and they direct it to a vendor of the product and dont get a response or it gets dodged im sure they get pretty hot. And if you have time to post on other subjects not containing someone seeking an answer it just looks bad. Why wouldn't you want to inform someone on your product that might be intrested. I guess if your whistling to the bank you might not need the business. I run F-1 injectors and i like they way my truck performs, but thats about it.

You are confusing me. One minute you want to sell our products, you run our injectors, your friends run them, but you come on here and ask whos cam to run?

Brett, I told my vendor after the inquiry we would sell your company our products through them at a discounted rate. This is standard practice for us. I only have 5 big sellers listed on my site. There are a few others not listed, but we are a small company and cant take on a huge number of vendors all at once. We currently dont have the time and the man hours needed to answer many more vendors phone calls and questions.

I just found the email with my reply. I was happy to be considered by Chris and said I would love to have him on board. I dont know you like I know Chris and dont understand what your doing by asking whos cam to buy and then wanting to sell our products at the same time. Dont misunderstand, you have the right to buy whatever from whoever. Unfortunantly we have to turn down opportunities for new vendors all the time, but I did end up picking up 5 very loyal and good ones.

Soup Nazi said:
You are confusing me. One minute you want to sell our products, you run our injectors, your friends run them, but you come on here and ask whos cam to run?

Hahaha.. That would sum it up for me.. :blahblah1: :blahblah1:
Don't walk Brett, RUN hahaha

Ridemywideglide said:

And a company called PreciseCast can appearently "cast nodular steel" pieces for customers with a 5 day turn around.. Maybe you should call them to get some "cast nodular steel" blanks...??

It seems ALOT of people are selling "cast nodular steel" products.. That would be hard to do if it didn't exist..:hehe:

Brad

LOL, that same google search only returns 10 total hits for the term "cast nodular steel" so you certainly can't say there is ALOT :hehe:

Also, the Scat 9000 series crank says "exclusive 9000 Series Space Age cast nodular steel " which to me sounds like some cheap late night TV infomercial.

Soup Nazi said:

Brett, I told my vendor after the inquiry we would sell your company our products through them at a discounted rate. This is standard practice for us. I only have 5 big sellers listed on my site. There are a few others not listed, but we are a small company and cant take on a huge number of vendors all at once. We currently dont have the time and the man hours needed to answer many more vendors phone calls and questions.

I just found the email with my reply. I was happy to be considered by Chris and said I would love to have him on board. I dont know you like I know Chris and dont understand what your doing by asking whos cam to buy and then wanting to sell our products at the same time. Dont misunderstand, you have the right to buy whatever from whoever. Unfortunantly we have to turn down opportunities for new vendors all the time, but I did end up picking up 5 very loyal and good ones.

Well i was hoping this thread might spark your eyes being Chris or I have not heard from you or anything through someone else. Over an extended period of time.
And he has never recieved a reply are you talking about one to your vendor, if so it was not relayed to us?

Don, please explain to me in your own words how on Gods green earth, cam profile can lead to a valve seat failure?

i know first hand why they fail and thats so far out in space, i cant believe you of all people would say that,

this is why they fail

when these engines where manufactured, the valve seat it self was machined to an incorrect width and after x-amount of heat(egt) it will float in the head valve seat bore and drop with valve movement, and at the same time of it dropping it will allow the head to cool from the fresh and cooler air rushing past it and it will sieze in the bore (expanstion/contraction) and then the valve will slap the piston and severe problems occur.

because of this cummins now has an updated valve seat #(only after realizing there was a problem)---and guess what it's got a wider demention--for a tighter interference, it's 2-3 thousands bigger, and since the recall or shall i say update, there have been NO problems with updated parts.

now even with the old parts an aftermarket cam will help rid the high exhaust heat and further prevent heat soak better, so i see nothing but a win/win situation here.

now lets here your side!

Last edited:
What he is telling you is if you don’t goose step to his beat, and drink the cool aid when he tells you, he will take his marbles and go home

I’ll tell you that Industrial injections injectors or some of the best out there, and Brady will even take your calls. They are in some of the fastest trucks out there and don’t require you to belong to the Nazi’s come on dose this guy have a shaved head also

Time to rethink this guy he has gone off the deep end.

dzlfarmboy said:
Well i was hoping this thread might spark your eyes being Chris or I have not heard from you or anything through someone else. Over an extended period of time.
And he has never recieved a reply are you talking about one to your vendor, if so it was not relayed to us?

if i couldnt get ahold of someone who i needed to talk with for performance parts or advise, especially after weeks on end, i would look elsewhere. you just starting out, will need to learn all of this very quickly, communication is key in this industry. just a heads up.

Jeff K said:
LOL, that same google search only returns 10 total hits for the term "cast nodular steel" so you certainly can't say there is ALOT :hehe:

Also, the Scat 9000 series crank says "exclusive 9000 Series Space Age cast nodular steel " which to me sounds like some cheap late night TV infomercial.

Well I don't know which google you are using but mine says 37 results...

And I guess it's not "exclusive" when the next 3 engine part manufacturers are selling the same thing... :kick:

DIESEL POWER said:
if i couldnt get ahold of someone who i needed to talk with for performance parts or advise, especially after weeks on end, i would look elsewhere. you just starting out, will need to learn all of this very quickly, communication is key in this industry. just a heads up.

I think most performance parts vendors avoid your calls now.

Smokem said:
The difference I am seeing is customer service and the lack there of or information on a product. I have a Max Spool II and I am happy with the results and customer service.

I agree 100%.. :bow:

So whats wrong with shims if one doesnt coil bind and gets close to the same seat pressure as you would like , heck putting a quad 4 retainer cut almost half of the weight

Last edited:
Ridemywideglide said:

Brad

The Scat 9000 and Eagle cranks are cast steel, not cast nodular steel. They replace or are stronger than the nodular iron crankshafts. People get the 2 confused.

Soup Nazi said:
The Scat 9000 and Eagle cranks are cast steel, not cast nodular steel. They replace or are stronger than the nodular iron crankshafts. People get the 2 confused.

Well I know what I find doing a search that anyone can do.. If a company like Scat, or Eagle, says it's "cast nodular steel", I think I'll take their word over yours..

on edit;

Here's a link to White Performance.. Note the "cast nodular steel" crankshaft...
http://www.whiteperformance.com/catalog.htm

Where's the "Diggin a hole" smiley when you need it..

Last edited:
So, reground cams aren't prone to failure? I'll bet one of the big name vendors wish someone would have told them that when they warrantied a pile of them about 3 years ago from lobes wearing off. It can and does happen. Not always, but is definitely more likely to happen on a regrind.

That same company no longer does regrinds to my knowledge.

lmills said:
So, reground cams aren't prone to failure? I'll bet one of the big name vendors wish someone would have told them that when they warrantied a pile of them about 3 years ago from lobes wearing off. It can and does happen. Not always, but is definitely more likely to happen on a regrind.

Just because it's a regrind doesn't mean it will fail.. New parts fail all the time.. If it's "QC'd" and said to be a good part, there shouldn't be issues.. I'm not saying regrinds are as good or better than a new part, but failure can happen to each regardless of age or mileage.. My deciding factor was, Either put my original 215K mile came back in, or get a unknown mileage regrind.. For me, what was the difference?? My original cam could fail just as readily as any regrind, or possibly any new cam for that matter.. Mine works, and didn't break the bank so I'm happy.. And Greg answers the phone even it's late and I'm liquored up.. :rockwoot:
Don doesn't even seem to be able to answer emails..

lmills said:

between the lifter and the lobe is the greatest pressure,and wear, and what separates them is a thin film of oil, if that film breaks down there is nothing to prevent wear, and you have accelerated wear, caused by oil breakdown--from pressure and heat. i have done oil analisis before the cam install and still do(after the fact). and to be honest the PPM in just about every area(except silicon, due to no air filter) has dropped in recent months. with a max of 6 PPM in any one catagory! even after 10k of driving and months of hard testing and raceing. point is that the 'regrind" i have is working just as advertised. and there is no possible way you or anyone else can say it will wear faster--oil analisis would proove other wise!

ever thought that the oil could be the cause of such high wear, and not the cam?

BTW i use Amsoil.

Ridemywideglide said:
Just because it's a regrind doesn't mean it will fail.. New parts fail all the time.. If it's "QC'd" and said to be a good part, there shouldn't be issues.. I'm not saying regrinds are as good or better than a new part, but failure can happen to each regardless of age or mileage.. My deciding factor was, Either put my original 215K mile came back in, or get a unknown mileage regrind.. For me, what was the difference?? My original cam could fail just as readily as any regrind, or possibly any new cam for that matter.. Mine works, and didn't break the bank so I'm happy.. And Greg answers the phone even it's late and I'm liquored up.. :rockwoot:
Don doesn't even seem to be able to answer emails..
My point is that they are saying that regrinding the cam does not affect it. That statement can be incorrect. Like I said, it may not fail, but is definitely more likely to after the material is removed. There have been plenty that have failed from regrinding the stocker. I did my research before purchasing.

DIESEL POWER said:
ever thought that the oil could be the cause of such high wear, and not the cam?

BTW i use Amsoil.

Yeh, I guess since none of them ran Amsoil that must have been why they had so many failures. :redx: ;)

I am speaking from a point of view that was witnessed first hand by one of my mechanics. ;) He was notified by the comany after they had multiple failures that year. And guess what he found when he pulled his.......

Like I said, read the post. Not all will fail, but they are definitely more likely to.

lmills said:
My point is that they are saying that regrinding the cam does not affect it. That statement can be incorrect. Like I said, it may not fail, but is definitely more likely to after the material is removed. There have been plenty that have failed from regrinding the stocker. I did my research before purchasing.

so grinding off the lobe will increase the likelyhood of a cam failure?

if you were grinding off material on the shaft i would agree but your not doing that on a regrind, so breakage would not even be a concern. and the wear on the lobe as said before is directly from oil breakdown in that area--nothing else--cause you cant wear something that has a good oil film covering it !

Back