Helix 2 vs MaxSpool? Opinions

People can argue this in 8 directions and all may be partially right or wrong, Otto cycle refers to a 4 stroke engine, the method of ignition or fuel delivery is a side part,

but I realize that with you its nothing more then a attempt to scrutinize me and any thing I do and take a thread that can be informative and make it a “ lets bash Comp Thread “ . I don’t participate in those any more. I have made a genuine attempt to inform people of the truth and give information that others will laugh at you when you ask them for the same information on their product.

DIESEL POWER said:
otto cycle diesels have been around for years, the difference looks to be the intake and exhaust timing, JMO

Vhat? Rudolf must be rolling over. I know I am. :hehe:

I'm just trying to help you out Comp, but if that's how you see it then knock yourself out posting incorrect info. Just because it has pistons and valves doesn't make every four stroke an "otto cycle". The method of fuel delivery is not a side part, but the main part. FYI I didn't say a thing about your cam (or Don's cam) because I don't have any dealings with either of them and I'm sure they're both great products. I DO have a problem with incorrect usage of engineering terms, however, but as already said, continue on if you'd like.

glad i can make you guys laugh.

comp, those who are looking for more info on products VS looking for someone to bash against, appriciate your input, we all know who accually builds motors and backs up there theorys that everyone else thinks is stupid.

COMP461 said:
I have made a genuine attempt to inform people of the truth and give information that others will laugh at you when you ask them for the same information on their product.[/QUOTE]

Comp, giving ones opinion ( whether it is correct or not ) is not always tied to FACT. You can tell everyone and anyone the stock Cummins cam is cast steel, but it is NOT. You can tell them it is induction hardened, but it is not. You can scream; "A Diesel is an Otto cycle engine", but they are not.

I was surprised to learn that you have asked not 1 but 2 of my vendors if there is any way they could get you some of my blank cams while on the other hand you trash them. You tell people they are made in China after you have been told by me several times that is not true. Certainly I would have considered anything, but you act like a nice guy one minute and not so nice the next. :bang

DIESEL POWER said:
glad i can make you guys laugh.

comp, those who are looking for more info on products VS looking for someone to bash against, appriciate your input, we all know who accually builds motors and backs up there theorys that everyone else thinks is stupid.

Theory? Are you serious?

Looking at the Banks aluminum intake manifold, designing a manifold after it and yelling to the world how you made a great product, is not design theory.

Buying the competitors camshafts, seeing what works and releasing a product is not design theory. Neither is not even knowing the material or the way it is hardened of your own product.

I guess one could call it theory, kinda sorta. Just not a good way to learn anything though.

Gale Banks calls his product an "Ottomind" for the Diesel engine. LMAO! Is that where he gets his idea the Diesel is Otto cycle? Oh Man.

Signal 73 said:
Ya, its a pissin match when ya reply to a basher and dont to a potential customer:badidea:

Check out the Garmon 12V trucks. They run pretty darn good and most run the stock cam, if not all of them.

I run a H2, have reduced EGT, black smoke, and a fatter power curve. Nitrous users dont need as much as a stock cam. Oftentimes 50% less for the same power.

The stock cam is hard to beat on the 12V. The exhaust event is not so late and short like the CR's.

banshee said:
I'm just trying to help you out Comp, but if that's how you see it then knock yourself out posting incorrect info. Just because it has pistons and valves doesn't make every four stroke an "otto cycle". The method of fuel delivery is not a side part, but the main part. FYI I didn't say a thing about your cam (or Don's cam) because I don't have any dealings with either of them and I'm sure they're both great products. I DO have a problem with incorrect usage of engineering terms, however, but as already said, continue on if you'd like.

after After a little research, it seems that the Otto cycle and diesel can be argued either way, depending on who, or what site you use, it looks like some people are further refining the Otto cycle in regards to diesels.

The jest of the context I was referring to, was that a diesel should be treated the same as a gas engine in that airflow is the most critical part of any high performance power plant program. The cam shaft selection on a 12 valve, a 24 valve and a CR are no different when it comes to aspects of a good performance cam program
The timing of the stock cams in each of these engines is dismal at best, in the past diesel people would send a cam to be reground to a typical cam shop, these shops would use cam masters designed for BBC or Mopar cam masters that were designed for higher speed engines with smaller lifters faces, the Chevy or Mopar lifters are .841 or .904 lifters the Cummins is 1.500 or bigger. These cams are really big at seat timing. 006 this is where no appreciable air flow is transpiring, but the critical pressure that diesels must have to perform is compromised. These first attempts are still out there in the pulling world and are sometimes 40 to 50 degrees bigger then needed. This is a contributory explanation for the needed ether. The numbers at .050 are a critical number, but not nearly as telltale as the numbers at .200 this is where the valve is out of the way sufficiently to allow maximum airflow

I am here to help anyone, including the ones that appear to banter me. As a lot of you have found out personally. I don’t hold grudges and will work with people sometimes until 3 am. . My cams work and work well, never had one fail form this so call problems, most of the fastest trucks out there have my cam program including the Predator truck. I will no participate in this little back and forth exchange in a person that is not even accessible to the public

COMP461 said:
after After a little research, it seems that the Otto cycle and diesel can be argued either way, depending on who, or what site you use, it looks like some people are further refining the Otto cycle in regards to diesels.

Greg..... No, you can't argue it either way. The theories and practice clearly separate the way the two engines operate. Don't believe what you read on every website. Go find a thermodynamics book and read up on power cycles. I have 4 on my bookshelf if you'd like to read one. Otto, Diesel, Carnot, Brayton, Bell Coleman (reverse Brayton), Stirling, Rankine, Ericsson, Lenoir, etc... are ALL power cycles that model different versions of heat engines. The basic principle is that they all produce work through the use of heat addition as directed by the 1st and 2nd laws of Thermodynamics. I'm not trying to banter you, but saying a diesel engine operates on an Otto cycle is technically incorrect, period. This area is my specialty Comp, so you're not going to argue around me.

Beyond that, I agree with your take on cam timing. Opening and closing the valve as fast as possible (without bouncing the valve on the seat and without killing those non-performance flat tappets) is only a good thing.

Ok, ill take you at your explanation on the Otto cycle theory, I have no reason to believe you are a liar, you have stated you are a subject mater expert on this and I have never until today researched it to this depth, it was just a term that in a lot of books includes diesels. You have explained this is a little better light then explained in the past. This is a confusing point, but a somewhat minor point.

There are a lot of different opinions on a verity of subjects that even the celebrated professors disagree on. My degree is in geology of petroleum and the disagreement between different professors was some time confusing at best and devastation to you grades at worst. When both were basing their test on the same principals, but using different terminology and definitions.

The diesel world is full of people that will twist the truth and facts to fit their needs, or they just don’t know the facts. I have participated in many engine development programs in the part 25 years in drag racing , and the diesel engine is no different in almost every aspect .

The real question is which one of you can explain an atkinson-cycle internal combusion engine WITHOUT using a picture. :D :D :D

In regards to air flow, I see a lot of port and polish information coming up lately. Is the swirl effect more important, or the actual volume (I know they are both important, but is one more-so then the other?).

Seems to me the biggest air-flow hurdle has been the grid heaters for some time. I would be very interested in anything that could truely show improved spool.. Would that be an increase or decrease in drive pressure, or does it even matter?

Has Don or Comp ever had one of there cams break? I have had a few from another company break.

Don M

Soup Nazi said:
Check out the Garmon 12V trucks. They run pretty darn good and most run the stock cam, if not all of them.

I run a H2, have reduced EGT, black smoke, and a fatter power curve. Nitrous users dont need as much as a stock cam. Oftentimes 50% less for the same power.

The stock cam is hard to beat on the 12V. The exhaust event is not so late and short like the CR's.

I hate to grab this post to get your attention but I didn't know if you saw my earlier post about needing your mail to: address. I have my tn and e-mail in that post, fyi.

Tks.

just a honest answer for myself and others. what kind of sales numbers on your respective cams "in total" have been sold to the public? and what were the number of failures? this is directed at the persons selling these cams not personal experiences!!! every product has failures but a extreme amount can point to problems i dont want to place my bets on. ive destroyed 2 motors and countless other parts big and small. i would like to keep this one together for a while. ive been on the fence about either cam and plan on contacting both for a in depth before i buy.

ben i am in the same boat minus the two motors part. i am not partial to either at this point, and customer service is a huge part of my business and from whom i buy from. i have dealt with companies that offer little to none and are impossible to get ahold of, and that irritates the hell out of me. thats the one reason why i am 24/7, problems dont happen between just 8 amd 5, and when you are working on a daily driver vehicle every hour matters. not that i expect greg or don to answer my call at 2 am, but if i get a call i want to have answers. the fact that don ignores some of his customers (ot of here) to say things to others, like gus for instance, bothers me.

on another note, i couldnt care whether a cam is 8 million on the rockwell scale, as long as it never breaks, thats good enough for me

I have never had a cam loose a lobe yet, doesn’t mean it will not happen someday. I have a good number of cams out there, and since this thread a good deal more sold and on the way to racers and quite a few pullers. . I spoke with my grinder today, and he confirmed that the cam is cast nodular steel, and is hardened deeper then could ever be reasonable ground. Cummins intended their cams to last and this is a primary reason for this material The hardness is well above 50 on the C scale to a depth of over .250 on the back side with a the hardness being sampled every .010 . It really doesn’t mater thou, because if a cam was ever to loose a lobe I would replace it.

For any one to even make a statement that the stock cam is almost too large in a nitrous application is to show a total lack of performance engine knowledge. Nitrous is just turbo in a bottle and when used, the byproduct it creates, is a huge increase in spent combustion gasses. This is a primary reason that nitrous motors especially need a dramatic increase in exhaust timing event.

I do not use nitrous as the definitive power adder, but use nitrous to spool a even larger looser charger. I use a cam the same way. An advanced exhaust event will aid in spooling a charger , this is the reason and advantage to using the correct cam for the correct application . I have my cams in a multitude of different programs out there , including George’s truck “WICKED1 “ that finished second in the diesel power challenge, Industrial Injections truck has one of my billet cams. Wade truck has one , along with project X and many more .
To speak of, here is what a lost cam lobe looks like, this lobe was analyzed and the cam lobe was found to be at fault, it’s not a oil failure, with is apparent by the bearing.
Not pointing fingers but when a blatant comparison is made, and a untruth is told. I will correct it. And no I didn’t copy the grind from this cam, I do have the CAM DOCTOR print out from all on my competitors cams , and was very unimpressed with them, and if you can’t remember the numbers on your own cams I do have them , and the numbers at .006 , .050 . 200 and all tell a story.

There is no similarity what so ever in my grinds and the competitor who babbles on here about. he is right and by golly we should accept it because he is who he is and that is that , and if we don’t like it , he will stomp his feet and change his name and well what every else he want to .

Sorry people for this , but I had to just call a spade a spade, we all are wrong , sometimes , even me , but him to demand that he is the best and his product is the best , because he said so , and then to spread erroneous facts , I just couldn’t sit back.

Last edited:
Well since this is my thread im gonna ask, alot of the guys are on the fence about what cam they want and when they might be curious or not knowing about something and have a question and they direct it to a vendor of the product and dont get a response or it gets dodged im sure they get pretty hot. And if you have time to post on other subjects not containing someone seeking an answer it just looks bad. Why wouldn't you want to inform someone on your product that might be intrested. I guess if your whistling to the bank you might not need the business. I run F-1 injectors and i like they way my truck performs, but thats about it.

I'm thinking ramps here...... and seats. Does a high ramp = dammage or the other way around?

COMP461 said:
I have never had a cam loose a lobe yet, doesn’t mean it will not happen someday. I have a good number of cams out there, and since this thread a good deal more sold and on the way to racers and quite a few pullers. . I spoke with my grinder today, and he confirmed that the cam is cast nodular steel, and is hardened deeper then could ever be reasonable ground. Cummins intended their cams to last and this is a primary reason for this material The hardness is well above 50 on the C scale to a depth of over .250 on the back side with a the hardness being sampled every .010 . It really doesn’t mater thou, because if a cam was ever to loose a lobe I would replace it.

For any one to even make a statement that the stock cam is almost too large in a nitrous application is to show a total lack of performance engine knowledge. Nitrous is just turbo in a bottle and when used, the byproduct it creates, is a huge increase in spent combustion gasses. This is a primary reason that nitrous motors especially need a dramatic increase in exhaust timing event. I do not use nitrous as the definitive power adder, but use nitrous to spool a even larger looser charger. I use a cam the same way. An advanced exhaust event will aid in spooling a charger , this is the reason and advantage to using the correct cam for the correct application . I have my cams in a multitude of different programs out there , including George’s truck “WICKED1 “ that finished second in the diesel power challenge, Industrial Injections truck has one of my billet cams. Wade truck has one , along with project X and many more .
To speak of, here is what a lost cam lobe looks like, this lobe was analyzed and the cam lobe was found to be at fault, it’s not a oil failure, with is apparent by the bearing.
Not pointing fingers but when a blatant comparison is made, and a untruth is told. I will correct it. And no I didn’t copy the grind from this cam, I do have the CAM DOCTOR print out from all on my competitors cams , and was very unimpressed with them, and if you can’t remember the numbers on your own cams I do have them , and the numbers at .006 , .050 . 200 and all tell a story. There is no similarity what so ever in my grinds and the competitor who babbles on here about. he is right and by golly we should accept it because he is who he is and that is that , and if we don’t like it , he will stomp his feet and change his name and well what every else he want to .

Sorry people for this , but I had to just call a spade a spade, we all are wrong , sometimes , even me , but to demand that he is the best and his product is the best , because he said so , and then to spread erroneous facts , I just couldn’t sit back.

I dont know how you get lead around by your nose so easily, but your cam grinder is WRONG!!!.

Firstly, there is no such thing as cast nodular steel COMP. It does not exist. Nodules are formed in ductile cast iron while it is cooling by adding magnesium. Hence Ductile Iron is often called Nodular Cast Iron. And No, the Cummins cam is not hardened deep. Hardening any cast iron makes it more brittle. The idea behind any surface hardening is to raise the wear resistance and keep the inner core ductile and softer so it wont crack/break. This is why Cummins cams are chilled cast ( the same as ours COMP ) The chilled mold hardens the surface but does not make the core hard/brittle and prone to breakage. The very nature of chill casting does not give a a consant hardness throughout the depth. The iron gets softer the further away it gets from the chilled mold. It may be 60RC on the surface and 2mm down it could be 50 and further down it could go to 45 or less.

That cam picture is of Gus Farmers. He took the pictures and used them to blackmail me into a free cam after he repeatedly overheated his engine. Watch the video of the water pouring out of the engine on the dyno. He drove it all over the countryside like that. Constantly overheating it. Any cam can be destroyed like that.

You blame the cam as a lobe failure, but dont have enough knowledge to even understand what your own cam is made of. We tracked that blank back to the same batch of 200 pieces made in 2005 for us. None of the other cams have had failures, over a year later. As a matter of fact we have NEVER had a cam lobe failure other than Gus Farmer. Not one, not anywhere. Total sales are nearing 400 pieces now with 154 more pieces in production and ol Gus Farmer is the only guy with a lobe failure? Come on now COMPY.

Gus destroyed the engine by overheating it repeatedly.

I know you dont understand that the Cummins B series camshaft is the highest wearing item in the engine, baring nothing else. But it is. This is precisely why Cummins, SWRI and many other companies tested the newest oil and cam wear is the area they test. Cummis has a specific cam wear test for the Cummins ISBe COMP.

Now, I hope you are sitting down cuz this part may hurt. I know without a doubt at this point that the ISBe is dropping valve seats like no other engine in the past because the valves are banging against the seats and poping them loose. Even stock engines. Ever wonder why? Well I did since the early ones that began to pop out.
It is a 2 part problem, aggressive cam lobe design and ineffective valve springs. Yes, the Cummins ISBe has an aggressive lobe. They did not lower the total lift but dropped the duration 10 degrees. This means the cam will raise and lower the valve faster. The ISBe is only one dropping the seats like this. The springs are the same ones from back in 1998 with the first ISB 24V.

Aggressive lobes like you tout are a receipe for disaster in the CR engines, plain and simple.

Springs: Good springs control those valves and since using them we have never had a seat failure. Not one customer. And you have been telling people to shim their stock springs? LOL

The Helix lobes are not wimpy, but they are not a design that allows seat failure through loss of vavle control either. They are right at the line minus a bit for fudge factor. You can continue to dig yourself into a hole with absence of facts about your cam material and tell the world you have a faster cam lobe, but that is your call.

Does it seem strange that some of my customers have gained over 100 FT lbs of TQ by changing out those stock springs you tell people to shim up? :hehe:

Back